Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New mexico v hawaii. Blacked out. Ch 683

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   woj027

woj027

Icon

• Registered
  • 817 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

I'm surfing for a game and see New Mexico at Hawaii (live) But I get the whole "blacked out" message. Any idea why? I have the premium package

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bambler

Bambler

Legend

• Registered
  • 368 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 10:29 PM

I often ask the same question and the only thing i can think of is distribution contracts and advertising rights?

But have no fear, people have figured out how to monetize that and I'm sure in ten years time the MWC will try and "sell" the rights to "all" of their games, like everyone else.

#3 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 13 October 2012 - 11:11 PM

On Root Sports no less, a channel that D* owns. Blacked out, Really? Why? Who gives a s**t about this game?

#4 OFFLINE   mws192

mws192

Godfather

• Registered
  • 396 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:58 AM

It's been like that all season.

Jonathan Angove ‏@2001MUgrad @mattsarz FYI I got an email from Root Sports Rocky Mount advising that MWC games they show are only available locally. Pointless channels.
Retweeted by Matt Sarzyniak

https://twitter.com/...594697566265344

#5 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Because Hawaii owns the rights to the game and has sold them to PPV.

The New Mexico market, however, has an exemption to televise to it's own fans.

#6 ONLINE   sdk009

sdk009

Icon

• Registered
  • 655 posts
  • LocationStanislaus County Farmland

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

I know Oceanic TW sells home games on a PPV basis on its systems throughout the Islands, but why would the University agree to black out games available on any mainland outlet. Those telecasts can be used for recruiting purposes and at 1-5 The 'Bows need all the help they can get.

#7 OFFLINE   Eksynyt

Eksynyt

Icon

• Registered
  • 833 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

It's about as bad as the Houston games which have been on some of the CSN channels in recent weeks. All of them have been blacked out. Why? There's like 10 people that care about the Houston Cougars football program anymore because they're getting no exposure, and then Coincast wants to exercise a blackout option for everyone that has DirecTV in out of market areas...idiotic.

#8 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:06 AM

BUT you can watch the replays of the Hawaii games. I just checked the rerun it was not blackout.

There is one more rerun of this game on RTRMHD 683 on Wed 10/17 9:00 PM Central.

PS: PPV Football games are a joke. I can watch all the top teams and only some lesser ranked Div 1A nee FBS teams still go the PPV route.

#9 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:18 AM

I know Oceanic TW sells home games on a PPV basis on its systems throughout the Islands, but why would the University agree to black out games available on any mainland outlet. Those telecasts can be used for recruiting purposes and at 1-5 The 'Bows need all the help they can get.

You are 100% correct. The day "they" let June Jones go was a mistake of epic proportions for the U of Hawai'i football program. And all he wanted was a competitive salary and improved athletic facilities so he could keep up in the recruiting process. And that idiot AD who let him go, was shortly fired afterward, for making the bonehead decision in the first place.

Maybe to accommodate the new sucky a.. record, Hawai'i should revert back to the old nickname from the old sucky a.. days, when they where known as the Rainbow Warriors. And might as well stick that rainbow back on the helmet. [sarcasm off]

#10 OFFLINE   Mauiguy

Mauiguy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

With the way Hawaii plays football, the PPV should be them paying folks to view.

#11 OFFLINE   WebTraveler

WebTraveler

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:10 PM

I think because they make it available on GamePlan for a fee.

spam firewall