Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

3 TVs / 2 playlists -- what's the best hardware combo?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spiffy

spiffy

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:08 AM

Hi everyone,

My elderly mother lives with me, and she pretty much is only interested in the international channels programming. I was told by a D* rep last night that the WH DVR cannot do two separate playlists; and I would rather her DVR viewing not to be cluttered up by my recordings that she would have to wade through.

We have three TVs though -- one in the living room, the other two in our respective bedrooms -- on different floors. Ideally I will be able to manage both of our recordings from one place in case she needs my help. But if I can't utilize the Genie, I am a bit stumped as to what would be the best (and most economical) HD DVR setup?

-We have never had HD before.
-I'm OK with my recordings to be completely separate from the rest of the house.
-But it would be nice if the Living Room can at least access her DVR as well.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:18 AM

On your DVR
Go to Menu--->Settings--->Whole-Home--->Share Playlist then turn it off

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   spiffy

spiffy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

On your DVR
Go to Menu--->Settings--->Whole-Home--->Share Playlist then turn it off

Sorry for not understanding -- does this mean the Genie CAN have multiple playlists? What will turning Share Playlist off do exactly?

#4 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

Sorry for not understanding -- does this mean the Genie CAN have multiple playlists?

Your playlist would not show on the other DVR. You will be able to see your moms playlist.

JACK,

#5 OFFLINE   spiffy

spiffy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

Your playlist would not show on the other DVR. You will be able to see your moms playlist.

And this is with the combination of two separate DVRs or HR34?

#6 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:19 PM

And this is with the combination of two separate DVRs or HR34?

Tell me your set up

JACK,

#7 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,183 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

Any combination 2 DVR's or 1 DVR and 1 HR34.
Directv would not activate 2 HR34's on one account

JACK,

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Spiffy, the HR34 only has one playlist. So if you just get an HR34 and two other C31 clients, or H2x HD receivers, then you will share the playlist from the HR34 to them and all recordings will be shown on all of them.

Otherwise if you get two HR2x HD-DVRs you can keep the recordings seperate. Have her DVR in her bedroom, and your DVR in your bedroom. You can then set both of those to only show the local recordings. So each of you will only see your shows in those rooms. The living room gets a bit more tricky though. If you want both you and your mother to be able to watch your shows in the living room then you will have to deal with a unified playlist there that will show both of your recordings. However, if she doesn't need to be able to watch her recordings in the living room you could just turn off sharing on her DVR (or put a bandstop filter on it) and then her recordings would only be available in her room, and yours would be available in your room and in the living room. One drawback with this setup is that you will not be able to pause live TV in the living room.

Hope that helps.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   spiffy

spiffy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:43 AM

Spiffy, the HR34 only has one playlist. So if you just get an HR34 and two other C31 clients, or H2x HD receivers, then you will share the playlist from the HR34 to them and all recordings will be shown on all of them.

Otherwise if you get two HR2x HD-DVRs you can keep the recordings seperate. Have her DVR in her bedroom, and your DVR in your bedroom. You can then set both of those to only show the local recordings. So each of you will only see your shows in those rooms. The living room gets a bit more tricky though. If you want both you and your mother to be able to watch your shows in the living room then you will have to deal with a unified playlist there that will show both of your recordings. However, if she doesn't need to be able to watch her recordings in the living room you could just turn off sharing on her DVR (or put a bandstop filter on it) and then her recordings would only be available in her room, and yours would be available in your room and in the living room. One drawback with this setup is that you will not be able to pause live TV in the living room.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the explanation. My main reason for wanting such setup is because she's not very adaptable with technologies, and I want to make this as simple as possible for her, which means not having to wade through MY recordings because I almost never watch anything live, and just record everything to watch them on my schedule. So maybe not be able to pause live TV may not be a huge issue. But I have a feeling D* is going to make me purchase the second DVR at "full price" if I insist on such setup. :mad:

Only one playlist for HR34 seems like a bad idea... What about families with kids that only want selective programs available?

spam firewall