Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper Jumper to Genie - questions

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

My Dish equipment has all the outputs active. The last Direct receiver I had would only allow one active at a time.

I normally "mirror" my home office receiver to my master bedroom and with Dish I can use a UHF remote and can change channels from any room in my house. Any suggestions on how to handle remote channel changing? Or do I have to suck up $6.00 a month to be able to change channels?

If I use a Genie in my living room and a mini client in my kitchen will the video and sound be in sync? I ask this as they are close together and my Hopper and its client are about 5 seconds off and the echo affect does not work. I ended up removing the hopper client and "mirroring" my living room video/audio.

Any help would be appreciated.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:56 AM

My Dish equipment has all the outputs active. The last Direct receiver I had would only allow one active at a time.

I normally "mirror" my home office receiver to my master bedroom and with Dish I can use a UHF remote and can change channels from any room in my house. Any suggestions on how to handle remote channel changing? Or do I have to suck up $6.00 a month to be able to change channels?

If I use a Genie in my living room and a mini client in my kitchen will the video and sound be in sync? I ask this as they are close together and my Hopper and its client are about 5 seconds off and the echo affect does not work. I ended up removing the hopper client and "mirroring" my living room video/audio.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure what you used to have, but all of the H/HR2x & 34 have outputs all active.
A genie client will be a few seconds behind/delayed from the 34.

RF remote can be used through walls, range may vary.
A.K.A VOS

#3 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

Not sure what you used to have, but all of the H/HR2x & 34 have outputs all active.
A genie client will be a few seconds behind/delayed from the 34.

RF remote can be used through walls, range may vary.

Found an HDMI adapter that would allow me to send RF over HDMI. IF the remote is not a dual channel.

How about a TIVO unit!!!!!... about 7 years ago tried to upgrade to a HD DVR. What a POS... 2 DOA out of the box. Dealer installed. Felt so bad, he gave me a refund and canceled my contract and I kept my old Tivo unit until I switched to Dish.

Sound delay is not going to work for me, but mirroring is ok.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

I've never even touched a TiVo so :shrug:

Trying to sync sounds between two receivers hasn't worked for me very well.
Even when the two receivers were the exact same model, and on the same channel, the delay difference between two different TVs was enough to be a problem. A joke would have the punchline come on one before the joke was asked on the other.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Found an HDMI adapter that would allow me to send RF over HDMI.

HDMI doesn't handle RF signals. Some of the extenders will pass an IR signal back to the host side.

If your remote TV is HDMI capable, this should work. If it is not, this is a show stopper.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#6 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:17 PM

I've never even touched a TiVo so :shrug:

Trying to sync sounds between two receivers hasn't worked for me very well.
Even when the two receivers were the exact same model, and on the same channel, the delay difference between two different TVs was enough to be a problem. A joke would have the punchline come on one before the joke was asked on the other.

thats odd, i have customers completely impressed that the sound is the exact same and in sync from room to room, all HD equipment
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,620 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

thats odd, i have customers completely impressed that the sound is the exact same and in sync from room to room, all HD equipment

It has to do with the delay in each TV.
If they're similar, they may not hear or have it.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:22 PM

OK... does anyone know if the Direct remote is dual channel?
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#9 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

Everyone has been great in responding and THANKS again, but I have another question. I have the DISH "Everything" package and I'm trying to find close comparison to a Direct package. Anyone know of an EASY way the differences in the packages?

Tons of sites list the programming, but it seems that no one wants to show what I would gain or lose by jumping from dish to direct.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#10 OFFLINE   Rickt1962

Rickt1962

Legend

• Registered
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

The remote is Single channel RF so you can change channels around the house. The unit has 5 tuners so u can record 5 different shows at once. If you decide to use one of the 5 tuners to watch a different channel in another room you will need RVU compliant Samsung TV or a H25 or C31 tuner. Thier remotes will send back thru the line to change channels and some people on here are complaining how slow it is to respond. And yes if you go that route DirecTV will charge another 6 bucks for the added pleasure of watching another show in a different room :mad: For that kind of money i would rather have another DVR its the same price !

#11 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:05 PM

Everyone has been great in responding and THANKS again, but I have another question. I have the DISH "Everything" package and I'm trying to find close comparison to a Direct package. Anyone know of an EASY way the differences in the packages?

Tons of sites list the programming, but it seems that no one wants to show what I would gain or lose by jumping from dish to direct.

the everything pak is same as premier......both everything! all standard channels, all movies, direct will throw in some sports in their premier as well.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,351 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:48 PM

the everything pak is same as premier......both everything! all standard channels, all movies, direct will throw in some sports in their premier as well.

H's looking for the differences, like what channels one get that the other doesn't, in a flat file. Like G4, AMC etc.

#13 OFFLINE   bbartilson

bbartilson

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

In my own experience, the missing channels on the D* side will cost you $5 extra. It's called the HD extra pak. Has things like HDNet movies, Palladia, Sony movie, MGM.

D* includes Audience network, an exclusive music channel that is cool.

Dish is missing the disputed AMC and associated networks which caused me to jump.

I don't know of any other channels missing or added between each top level package, but he pricing model is not at all comparable. Dish includes a lot but the base price is a little higher. Showtime and Starz are conspicuous in their absence from the D* premier lineup, but were included free when I called the rep about it.

D* makes it very difficult to find out what your bill will be at the end of 2 years. There are a lot of charges which are added and then discounted back off. Every time I have called with a legitimate complaint the D* rep has offered another discount. Right now my bill is $85, where my Dish bill was $127 for fewer receivers and comparable programming.

Don't know if that helps but I tried. :)

#14 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,240 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

What do you mean exactly, IR and RF, multiple addresses?

#15 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,792 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:55 PM

Like mdavej, I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

The DirecTV remote can handle up to 4 different devices (including your TV) via IR or via RF (not all do RF, must have an FCC sticker on it, and have "R" in the model number). You can have a mix of IR and RF (but you can't have IR and RF simultaneously for the same device).

For example, you could control a primary DirecTV DVR using the "DTV" position on the remote (via IR or via RF), plus you could control a second DirecTV DVR or receiver using the "AV1" position on the remote (again, IR or RF), plus you could control a third DirecTV DVR or receiver using the "AV2" position on the remote, plus you can control your TV using the "TV" position on the remote.

You can substitute some other AV device in the AV1 or AV2 position as desired/needed.

#16 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

I'm assuming he means dual band as in dual band IR which is used by some equipment manufacturers. If my assumption is right, dual band should not be an issue since DirecTV DVRs all use a single band 38kHz IR signal.

Also, I think the "adapter" he's referring to:

Found an HDMI adapter that would allow me to send RF over HDMI. IF the remote is not a dual channel.

might be this one > http://sewelldirect....it-For-HDMI.asp
Vin

#17 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,262 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

might be this one > http://sewelldirect....it-For-HDMI.asp

There's nothing RF in that setup.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#18 OFFLINE   Vin

Vin

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

There's nothing RF in that setup.

True but what does "RF over HDMI" even mean? I think he meant IR over HDMI.

In light of the fact that his original post was in regard to whether or not all outputs would be active at the same time, I believe he was considering an alternative to a host/client setup (due to concerns about echoing that he's already experienced with his Dish Hopper), that alternative being 'mirroring a DirecTV receiver from his living room to his kitchen' as he currently does with Dish.

I'm guessing his plan was to use the IR over HDMI adapter instead of using an RF remote for control but was concerned about this line "This product works for all single band infrared devices only, for dual band infrared devices see BlastIR by Sewell" from the item's description.
Vin

#19 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

True but what does "RF over HDMI" even mean? I think he meant IR over HDMI.'

Yup... I did enter into a contract with Direct, but when canceling my dish, they matched the price plus gave me an extra $100.00 in programming for the next 2 years. NO COMMITMENT REQUIRED!

So I guess I'll stick with my 2, Hoppers (6 tuners total,) and wait for Direct to offer me a better price.

Thanks again for everyone's quick response to my questions.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#20 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,478 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Yup... I did enter into a contract with Direct, but when canceling my dish, they matched the price plus gave me an extra $100.00 in programming for the next 2 years. NO COMMITMENT REQUIRED!

So the contract you 'entered' with DirecTV was null and void at your whim? Glad you got what you want, but did you really enter into a contract??
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

spam firewall