Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Might Jump Ship

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

After 9 years, I may jump to Direct to save some bucks. I currently have the Everything package and If I do jump to Direct it seems the CHOICE ULTIMATE is the close match. But I cannot find a way to see what I could MISS if I jumped. Want to see the "delta" and not the matches. Anyone know of a comparison list that would allow this?

Tried my best to find a text file listing of the programming so that I could do a sort myself in Excel. NOPE.... NADDA... ZIP. Google disappointed me...

Dish is fine, but the other guy will give me a deep discount for 2 years and if I need to jump back for a Dish discount, I will.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:17 PM

If you have "everything" ... America's Everything Package ... the closest DirecTV product is Premier.

There are channel differences between the two carriers and equipment differences, but both packages represent "everything" that provider has to offer - with DirecTV also including out of market RSNs (so Premier = AEP + Multi-Sport).

#3 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:42 PM

Here is a comparison list: http://www.dbstalk.c...042#post2841042

If you want everything (including movie channels) you need Premier + HD Extra Pak.
If you want everything (excluding movie channels) you want Ultimate + HD Extra Pak + Sports Pak

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#4 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

That list is HD only ... but it is a start.

#5 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Ouch... Still not a plain flat file that list what each offers. Looks like I need to do some more digging.

thanks for everyone response.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,893 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:41 PM

It isn't a plain flat decision. Years ago I kept a SD comparison list that would show channel by channel what subscription one would need on each system to get that channel. But it was a pain to keep updated. The HD version is also a challenge but there are a lot less channels.

#7 OFFLINE   kikkenit2

kikkenit2

Icon

• Registered
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:02 AM

Ouch... Still not a plain flat file that list what each offers. Looks like I need to do some more digging.

thanks for everyone response.

You might like this.

http://www.avsforum....updated-9-10-12

#8 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

Thanks. Directv offered a saving of about $240.00 over the 2 year contract. I signed up. DISH then counter offered $250.00 of my bill and 100.00 in free programming for the next 2 years. DirectV could not counter offer with a better price. NO CONTRACT COMMITMENT from Dish required. Directv install canceled.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#9 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

Maybe someone can point me to another post where this has happened, but I don't ever remember Dish giving anything along the lines of matching new customer discounts of other carriers to existing customers. In fact at some point I know it was a policy they would not. Obviously things can change, but are you certain you are getting that kind of discount?

#10 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 664 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Maybe someone can point me to another post where this has happened, but I don't ever remember Dish giving anything along the lines of matching new customer discounts of other carriers to existing customers. In fact at some point I know it was a policy they would not. Obviously things can change, but are you certain you are getting that kind of discount?

Yeah, this is surprising. DirectTV was always very aggressive and very generous with us as we moved, in terms of a Customer Retention Rep giving us a ton to keep us (we tended to move about every 2-3 years for a while, and every time I'd call DirectTV, tell them I was looking at my options for our new home on the move, and they would give us a ton to keep us.) Dish, OTOH, seems to be pretty "Hey, do what you need to do, we might give you Starz for 3 months, but let us know when you need us to turn off your feed if you leave."

#11 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Yeah, this is surprising. DirectTV was always very aggressive and very generous with us as we moved, in terms of a Customer Retention Rep giving us a ton to keep us (we tended to move about every 2-3 years for a while, and every time I'd call DirectTV, tell them I was looking at my options for our new home on the move, and they would give us a ton to keep us.) Dish, OTOH, seems to be pretty "Hey, do what you need to do, we might give you Starz for 3 months, but let us know when you need us to turn off your feed if you leave."

Yeah that's kind of what happened when I left Dish for DirecTV about 3 years ago. It was a difference of about $4/month and I would have stayed with Dish, but they wouldn't budge (after 5 years with them). Ended up installing DirecTV and now after all of the programming disputes that Dish has had I am glad I did. No AMC and no ESPNU HD are deal breakers.

#12 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 317 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:28 PM

I had no expectations of getting a price break as I emailed and asked for the boxes to be sent. They would not and told me to call. A few months ago I complained about the lose of AMC, I was told TUFF. But was let out of my 2 year agreement (I assume to get rid of me.) No price break and no credits.

So when I called to cancel, I expected nothing and when I was offered some free programming, I said no thank-you, I'll pass and please send me my boxes. 10 minutes later, I saved $254.00 (plus free programming.) I NEVER PUSHED FOR ANYTHING. I told them I had no real complaints and it all boils down to the cost... TV is TV. I don't care where it comes from.

As dish did not require me to sign a contract, I can still watch and see if another round of saving can be found and move at any time.

FYI... I probably have the highest levels of programming you can have. So, $150.00 a month, 9 year customer is probably worth keeping around.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

Protected By... spam firewall...And...