Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hr34-buyer beware

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:30 AM

Had my HR34 for three weeks now. Have had to do about 10 RBRs, in that time. The thing locks up, freezes, crashes, or whatever you want to call it. Only RBRs fix it. Also am having trouble with PPV which seems to be related to HDMI handshake with my Denon receiver. I'm not tech savvy as are many people on this site. I don't have MRV or eSATA or RVU client. I don't even have a clue what that stuff is. The wife has an HR20/700 and our boxes are not otherwise connected. My old HR20 was poopin out so I opted for the HR34. If I had to do it again I would hold off at least another 6-12 months. To me, the hassle is NOT worth it.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,344 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:35 AM

I got mine about a month ago and I'm not having a single issue.

JACK,

#3 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Had my HR34 for three weeks now. Have had to do about 10 RBRs, in that time. The thing locks up, freezes, crashes, or whatever you want to call it. Only RBRs fix it. Also am having trouble with PPV which seems to be related to HDMI handshake with my Denon receiver. I'm not tech savvy as are many people on this site. I don't have MRV or eSATA or RVU client. I don't even have a clue what that stuff is. The wife has an HR20/700 and our boxes are not otherwise connected. My old HR20 was poopin out so I opted for the HR34. If I had to do it again I would hold off at least another 6-12 months. To me, the hassle is NOT worth it.

From all that you described, I suggest you have a truck roll out for a service call as this is not the norm for an HR34. It sounds like you might have a line problem to that receiver location or even possibly a defective receiver itself---however I opt for the first as the culprit expecially if you had the "poopin out HR20" in the same location as the new HR34....

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,084 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

Did you consider your box might be faulty? You can have it replaced. Your results aren't normal.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 ONLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,948 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

While I wouldn't call them "a piece of cake", I also wouldn't expect mine to be that much trouble either.

If you think you may have a HDMI issue, have you tried using component?

Not to be the "fix all", but maybe it gets you by until a HDMI fix comes out.

If nothing changes with component, then it isn't an HDMI problem, and something else.
A.K.A VOS

#6 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:58 AM

I'm not tech savvy as are many people on this site. I don't have MRV or eSATA or RVU client. I don't even have a clue what that stuff is. The wife has an HR20/700 and our boxes are not otherwise connected.

There's a better than 90% chance that you now have Whole Home DVR Service (MRV) and that you're wife's box can see the HR34 and vice versa. Installers are usually pretty motivated to connect the whole system to the Internet if possible as well.

That the installer didn't communicate the extent of what they did is unfortunate.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#7 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:28 PM

Had my HR34 for over 6 months. I've pressed the red button only once.

Either your unit is faulty or the installer did something wrong. In either case, you need to call directv tech support.

#8 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,117 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 16 October 2012 - 12:38 AM

. . . . I'm not tech savvy. . . .

Run Menu/Settings & Help/Settings/Info & Test/Run System Test
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:24 AM

Press and hold the info button it's easier.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Ran the test and got only one fail. Diag code 72-689. No phone dial tone detected.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:04 PM

I really think this is an HDMI issue. Try connecting the HR34 straight to the TV... just temporarily for a few days. See if your issues are gone.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...