Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it time for Major League Baseball to institute Instant Replay?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hallrk

hallrk

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:22 AM

All you need is that eye in the sky, a fifth umpire if you want to call it that. He would monitor all plays and signal down to the crew chief on the field if there is an overrule or need a little extra time to look at the play. I doubt it would take much more time now. Certainly not as much time as an argument between the manager and umpire takes now.
I would like to see them, at least experiment, in spring training with the electronic balls and strike calls. Umpires are wildly inconsistent behind the plate. They have to call upwards of 300 pitches a game so its natural that they would be. But bad ball/strike calls can have huge impact on the game. A consistent strike zone would do wonders for the game. IMO it would make it better. Maybe even a little faster because the pitchers would know they would have to pitch to the strike zone and hitters would be more apt to swing earlier in the count.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Balls/Strikes: No

All plays at the plate: Yes

Home Runs/Foul Balls: Yes

Give managers 2 challenges per game.

All plays at all bases reviewable by a booth umpire after the 7th inning.

#23 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

The close plays on the lines and at the bases are extremely few and far between - and the overwhelming majority of those show that the umpire was right.

What I've seen lately - and it seems like it's getting increasingly worse - are the ridiculous ball/strike calls. This is something that happens FAR more frequently and affects more batters - often many in a row.

As much as I understand when the announcer says that a hitter who has a history of "having a good eye" will get a call in his favor when something's close, that still smacks to me of basically admitting that the rules are not the same for all players. That just rubs me the wrong way.

Why should a ball over the center of the plate and 3 inches above the batter's belt be called a strike by one umpire and a ball by another? This is Just Plain Wrong.

The worst ball/strike call I seen this year had the catcher crouched between the home plate and the RH batter box with the umpire looking over the catcher's left shoulder - the ump was at least 8 inches left of the plate and proceeded to called a pitch that was 8 inches right of the plate - strike three. The batter was Jason Bay. He just looked at the ump. Put the head of his bat where the pitch was and just walked away in disbelief.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#24 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:48 PM

Balls/Strikes: No

All plays at the plate: Yes

Home Runs/Foul Balls: Yes

Give managers 2 challenges per game.

All plays at all bases reviewable by a booth umpire after the 7th inning.

The problem is that, as another poster points out *300* or more balls/strike calls per game and a bad home plate umpire is affecting INNUMERABLE plays whereas there are only a couple of other close plays, at best, during a game that you might want to review even on an umpire's BAD day.

But I do agree with a '5th umpire' idea - we don't need 4 men in blue trotting off the field to go review something in behind the dugout. Having an official in a booth as a designated replay official is a good way to minimize delays.

#25 OFFLINE   jimisham

jimisham

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:00 AM

The Little League World Series uses instant replay. Each manager is allowed two challenges a game.
If they challenge a call and are wrong, they have one challenge left. If they are right, they still have two left.
The umpires will also use instant replay if there's a question among themselves as to a call.
As already mentioned, the replay doesn't take any longer than an argument.

#26 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

The Little League World Series uses instant replay. Each manager is allowed two challenges a game.
If they challenge a call and are wrong, they have one challenge left. If they are right, they still have two left.
The umpires will also use instant replay if there's a question among themselves as to a call.
As already mentioned, the replay doesn't take any longer than an argument.

Last year I was watching a game and if I remember correctly the batter got hit by the ball and was not given the base. The manager challenge and the play was overturn. I went back and time the play and it only took about 54 seconds from the time the batter got hit to the overturn of the play.

#27 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 862 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:40 PM

The last thing MLB needs is anything that will slow the game down any more than it already is. In fact, I'd be all for the institution of a 24-second clock (and I'm only half kidding).

Pitchers who take an eternity to deliver a pitch and batters who take an eternity to get set in the box drive me nuts (well, that and the DH, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed). Get up there and pitch/bat already!

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#28 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,818 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

I would not be surprised to have this topic discussed after this season ends by MLB, and perhaps something instituted sooner than later.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#29 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:51 PM

The last thing MLB needs is anything that will slow the game down any more than it already is. In fact, I'd be all for the institution of a 24-second clock (and I'm only half kidding).

Pitchers who take an eternity to deliver a pitch and batters who take an eternity to get set in the box drive me nuts (well, that and the DH, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed). Get up there and pitch/bat already!

If you really want to speed up the legitimize the Balk. As to a instant replay every once in a while should not slow down the game that much.

#30 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

Want to speed up game? Eliminate the television ads.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#31 OFFLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,724 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Want to speed up game? Eliminate the television ads.

+1

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#32 OFFLINE   kevintheoman

kevintheoman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:38 PM

I don't want replay in any form.

The solution is for umpires to be held accountable. MLB says they grade umpires, but we never see the grades and umpires are never disciplined for not performing. They should institute a promote/demote system where every year the 10 worst umpires in MLB are either fired (if really terrible) or demoted to AAA. The 10 best umpires in AAA would be promoted to MLB. Additionally, all grades and ratings would be accessible to the public.

People tend to do a better job when there are actual consequences for failing.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...