Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting sat TV to an unwired TV

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

I currently have no TV service. I do have RG6 from the crawl space in my home to the main TV room. I would like to add service to this, and also be able to add TVs in two other rooms which have CAT5 wiring, but no RG6.

Does any sat TV provider use RG6 to get from the dish to one TV, and then ethernet to get to the other TVs? I have been trying to understand "whole house DVRs" and "hopper / Joeys" but I don't see much real information on the web sites, and I know from experience that calling the sales folks will result in "oh yeah, we do that".

Can I stream from a sat TV box/DVR/whatever to a PS3 or a Sony Blu-Ray? How about a Roku?

Thanks for your help.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,298 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:08 PM

Unsupported, but Joeys can run off of Ethernet only and do not require a cable connection. The Hopper needs a single coax from the hub which is connected to the DISH. Depending on how many TVs you want and how many tuners you need you may need a second Hopper - which can be placed anywhere on the network but will require a coax.

#3 OFFLINE   wyy183

wyy183

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

Most installations can do RG-6 installation for you. I had a run installed with my original installation, and no additional charge.

Both Dish and DirecTV have single-wire installations, which means that you only need one wire going to your main location. The signal then travels back down the same wire to feed other receivers/TV/devices in your house. These others are usually done with additional RG-6 runs to individual locations.

You can connect from the receiver(s) with a variety of connections: composite, component, and HDMI.

I have a receiver beside me that has all three of those connected.
- composite goes to an RF-converter, which feeds old TV's in my house.
- component goes to Hauppauge HD PVR, which allows me to record from the receiver to a personal hard drive attached to my computer. With this I can watch on computer, or connect the hard drive to a WD TV-box and watch on other TV's, in other locations, if I desire (kind of like a modern-day VCR system.)
- HDMI is connected to the TV itself.

#4 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:49 PM

Thanks, unfortunately there is no easy access. The rooms I want to get to are on the second floor and the floors above and below are finished. The exterior wall faces the front of the house and I am not willing to run cable along the brick. I think I will investigate the Directv2pc service.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:53 PM

Thanks, unfortunately there is no easy access. The rooms I want to get to are on the second floor and the floors above and below are finished. The exterior wall faces the front of the house and I am not willing to run cable along the brick. I think I will investigate the Directv2pc service.

the box is obsolete now, actually never been deployed - forget it

#6 OFFLINE   DanR

DanR

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

Unsupported, but Joeys can run off of Ethernet only and do not require a cable connection. The Hopper needs a single coax from the hub which is connected to the DISH. Depending on how many TVs you want and how many tuners you need you may need a second Hopper - which can be placed anywhere on the network but will require a coax.

Thanks James,
Unsupported is fine :) Maybe this is what the first tech support guy at Dish was talking about. I chatted with them for a few minutes, but then he passed me off to sales and they had no clue. I will search in the Dish forum as I would prefer to have a joey rather than build HTPCs to run Directv2PC at each extra TV.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...