Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HR34 3D Channels Gone after Software Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 09:48 AM

Hello Folks,
I have an HR34/700 receiver hooked up to a Denon AVR 1612, then to my Samsung 3D TV, all via HDMI.

I've been watching 3D channels, renting 3D movies for 8 months since installation with no problems what so ever, until the second to last software upgrade done around Oct 2nd.

Since then ALL of my 3D channels are greyed out in my guide. Every time I try and access a 3D channel I get an error saying my equipment is not 3D or is incompatible.

If I do a cold reboot on my HR34, the channels come back and I can watch them, until I shut down my Denon and TV. Turning everything back on and the channels are gone again.

I also have a Panasonic Blu-Ray 3D player hooked up to the Denon 1612 and it plays 3D Blu-Rays with no problems. I also can watch 3D content from the Smart Hub on my Samsung TV via HDMI through my Denon 1612 with no problems.

As mentioned earlier, I've been watching 3D channels with NO problems for 8 months until these last software updates.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

Sounds like it is most likely an HDMI handshake issue. I'm guessing that the DirecTV receiver is trying to do the handshake before the TV is ready, so it doesn't get the feedback from the TV that tells it the TV supports 3D. In what order are you turning the 3 devices on?

Try turning on the TV first, then the Denon, and then finally the HR34. Wait like 30 seconds in between each one. If that works, then I am probably right and you will have to try to figure out a way to get them to turn on in that order regularly. Do you happen to be using a universal remote like a Harmony? If so you should be able to change the order the devices are turned on, and possibly add in delays to get the timing right so it all works.

As far as why this is just now happening that is hard to say. DirecTV does seem to mess around with their HDMI handshake stuff sometimes when they do firmware updates and they might have done something there that is causing this issue.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#3 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

Many thanks. I am using a Harmony Remote so I can go in and reconfigure it to change the order and put in some delays. I'll give it a try.

#4 OFFLINE   dihawk57

dihawk57

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 07:23 PM

I'm having the same problem with my HR34 . It started 2 software updates ago. I can get the 3D programming back if I throw a 3D movie in my Oppo player. But the next time I turn on my equipment all 3D programming is greyed out on the guide. I called Directv about this problem and they told me it was a TV problem , not their problem. Hopefully if they get more calls about this problem they will take a look at the latest software updates.

#5 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:42 PM

How are you connected, all HDMI? I'm using a Harmony One remote and have programmed in a delay of about 5 seconds between each device I have turn on, and that seems to have solved my issue. I also changed the sequence order in which they turned on, putting my TV first, AVR second and Direct TV receiver last.
I did that after the correspondance I had here on the forum, that my issue might be handshake related.

#6 OFFLINE   dihawk57

dihawk57

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:37 PM

I have everything ran HDMI . I leave my yamaha receiver on all the time and just turn the TV off with the Directv remote. Both shut off with just one button. Thanks for you input !

#7 OFFLINE   jasham1

jasham1

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:44 PM

Has that solved your handshake issue, by leaving everything on but your TV?

#8 OFFLINE   dihawk57

dihawk57

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

No that hasn't fixed the handshake problem. I'm hoping a new software update will fix it.

spam firewall