Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need desperate help installing new Directv Receiver

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

I am so lost installing my new set up, I need your help please!:(

I’m trying to install a Directv Slimline SL3SPIG-P Multisatellite Ka/KU LNB Built-0in Multi Switch with one output 99®/101®/103® W Reception. I used to have it connected to an HD-DVR but now it will be connected to a normal D12-100-R.

Can this be possible? I don’t care about the HD or the DVR functions.

When I’m trying to install it I get the many options to choose the appropriate satellite:

01-Round (18”)
02-3-LNB (18”X20”)
03: Slimline-3 (My guess it's this one but I'm not sure)
04: Slimline-5
05: Round (18”) & 72.5®
06: 3-LNB (18”X20”) & 72.5®
07: Slimline-3 & 72.5®
08: Slimline-5 &72.5®
09: Round (18”) & 95®
10: 3-LNB (18”X20) & 95®
11: Slimline-3 & 95®
12: Slimline-5 & 95®
13: Round & 72.5® & 95®
14:3-LNB (18”x20”)
15: Slimline-3S & 72.5® & 95®
16: Slimline-5S & 72.5® & 95®
17: Slimline-3S (SWM) (Is this the one I need to choose?)
18: Slimline-5S (SWM)

Then the following options right underneath:

Switch Type
01: SWM
02: Milti-Switch (I know it's this one but can you verify please)

Wich options do I choose? I’ve tried several options with different switch types but no luck yet.

Thank you in advance for your help!!

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-10-15_08-19-45_144.jpg

Edited by SOLost, 16 October 2012 - 03:41 PM.
Added a picture of the Slimline SL3SPIG

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   iceman2a

iceman2a

Icon

• Registered
  • 541 posts
  • LocationBOSTON, MA.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:51 PM

It is #17, but you also need a pi (power inserter)!
Directv PI29 Power Inserter
HR21-200
HR20/700
2 H21-200

#3 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

If your LNB has one output, then it is SWM. The SL3S would be #17 and switch type would be SWM, not MultiSwitch.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:00 PM

Agreed, that's just what I was thinking. The setting should definitely be SWM if there is only one wire coming from the dish.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:19 PM

SOLost
Please verify that your dish has only one coax connection coming from the LNB.
Thanks

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#6 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

I'll have to check when I get home. I only had one receiver before so my best guess is that I do have only one cable.

#7 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

So, this dish will work with the receiver? Also, I didn't have a PI with my previous receiver. Why do I meed one now?

You guys are really helping me. Thank you!

#8 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

How many of the white horn things are there out on the arm in front of the dish? If there is only one then it is a 3LNB setup, if there are three then it is a 5LNB setup (this confuses many people).

Once you figure that out you need to know how many coax ports there are on the LNB itself. Just because there is only one cable hooked up to it doesn't necessarily mean there is only one coax port. There could be 4 coax ports, but only one coax line hooked up to one of them. If there are 4 coax ports on the LNB then you need to select a multiswitch setup, if there is only one coax port then you need to select SWM, and you need to have a power inserter in line between the dish and the receiver.

Edit/
If you didn't have a power inserter before then you don't have a SWM setup you have standard/legacy LNB with 4 coax ouput ports on it, and you won't need a power inserter now. That means you need to check either 03, or 04 for dish type, and 02 multiswitch for switch type.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#9 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

The part number you put up appears to me to be a legacy system with 4 places to connect a coax to ( even if you only had one connected ).
If that is correct the red selections you had were correct and you do not need a power inserter.
If there is just one place for a connection it would be SWM and need a power inserter to power the SWM LNB.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#10 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

The part number you put up appears to me to be a legacy system with 4 places to connect a coax to ( even if you only had one connected ).
If that is correct the red selections you had were correct and you do not need a power inserter.
If there is just one place for a connection it would be SWM and need a power inserter to power the SWM LNB.

It's possible that the part number is really SL3S, not SL35.

#11 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

It's possible that the part number is really SL3S, not SL35.

Just checked from a picture I took and it is SL3S. Not SL35.

It also has one LNB only. I'll have to wait to verify how many ports it has

#12 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

I assume by you saying it only has one LNB, you mean it only has one white horn. That is actually the 3LNB horn. If that is right, and you really didn't have a power inserter before then you have this one (or the same thing from a different manufacturer).

http://www.solidsign...ECTVDishes&sku=

That means you should select 03 Slimline 3 for dish type and 02 multiswitch for switch type.

If you actually do have this one
http://www.solidsign...&sku=8546300073

Then you will have to get a power inserter. Then you would select 17: Slimline-3S (SWM) for dish type and 01: SWM for switch type. I believe they should automatically select themselves though if you have it hooked up right.

Edited by Beerstalker, 16 October 2012 - 03:21 PM.

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#13 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:14 PM

I assume by you saying it only has one LNB, you mean it only has one white horn. That is actually the 3LNB horn. If that is right, and you really didn't have a power inserter before then you have this one (or the same thing from a different manufacturer).

That means you should select 03 Slimline 3 for dish type and 02 multiswitch for switch type.

If you actually do have this one
Then you will have to get a power inserter. Then you would select 17: Slimline-3S (SWM) for dish type and 01: SWM for switch type. I believe they should automatically select themselves though if you have it hooked up right.

From the description it looks like it's the second one. However, if i didn't need a Pi before, Why do I need it now?

#14 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

SWM LNBs have to have a power inserter to work. The receivers don't supply enough power for the multiswitch built into them to function correctly (or something like that).

Are you absolutely sure you didn't have a power inserter before. It looks like this.
http://www.solidsign...ku=874409000844

or this

http://www.solidsign...&sku=7440900270

Remember, just because there was only one coax cable coming down from the satellite dish, it doesn't mean that there isn't 3 unused ports hiding inside the LNB arm that you can't see without removing the LNB.
-by Jack Handy

#15 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

SWM LNBs have to have a power inserter to work. The receivers don't supply enough power for the multiswitch built into them to function correctly (or something like that).

Are you absolutely sure you didn't have a power inserter before. It looks like this.

or this

Remember, just because there was only one coax cable coming down from the satellite dish, it doesn't mean that there isn't 3 unused ports hiding inside the LNB arm that you can't see without removing the LNB.

Based on the descriptions, it's the second one. However, my question stills stands: Why do I need a PI if I didn't use one before with previous receiver?

Thank you!

#16 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:46 PM

From the description it looks like it's the second one. However, if i didn't need a Pi before, Why do I need it now?

You wouldn't need a power inserter if the LNB was a legacy model.

I recall, as does jimmy57, that the PIG model is a legacy LNB with four outputs. As such, it should work as you originally guessed (type 03). If the receiver doesn't recognize it, there's probably some issues with your cabling (or the LNB or receiver has failed). An old wive's tale suggests you hook a lone receiver to output #1.

The D12 will work with either LNB but you can't be guessing about which LNB it is.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#17 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,153 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:56 PM

Based on the descriptions, it's the second one. However, my question stills stands: Why do I need a PI if I didn't use one before with previous receiver?

Thank you!

Whether or not you need a power inserter is dependent on the presence of SWM, not (necessarily) the receiver. If you've never had a power inserter, but you now have a new LNB with SWM, then you now need a power inserter.

If you've never had a power inserter and your dish/LNB has not changed, then you don't need one now.

One thing is certain: if you have SWM, you need a power inserter.

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,701 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

After the clarification about the 5 being an S, I now feel the first 3 posters were correct that it is a SWM.

I found one on Ebay with a close up of the tag on it.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c280fc37e

I did also read a post once that the user was using a SWM system without a power inserter for several weeks before the system gave him the 771A error.
I do not know how it does that. Maybe if the receiver was close to the dish. The receivers can put out 18 volts, the PI recommended was 21 volts and now it is ? 29 volts. Like I said I do not know for sure.

#19 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,190 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

We should wait for the OP to get their story straight.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#20 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

It's possible you did need a power inserter but the system barely functioned without it. Unlikely, but possible.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...