Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Need desperate help installing new Directv Receiver

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

[quote name='jimmie57']After the clarification about the 5 being an S, I now feel the first 3 posters were correct that it is a SWM.

I found one on Ebay with a close up of the tag on it.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c280fc37e

That's exactly the same one!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:12 AM

[quote name='SOLost'][quote name='jimmie57']After the clarification about the 5 being an S, I now feel the first 3 posters were correct that it is a SWM.

I found one on Ebay with a close up of the tag on it.
http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c280fc37e

That's exactly the same one![/QUOTE]

That's a SWM LNB. You MUST have a 21V Power Inserter for it to operate properly.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#23 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

[quote name='litzdog911'][quote name='SOLost']

That's a SWM LNB. You MUST have a 21V Power Inserter for it to operate properly.[/QUOTE]

Not that I'm not second guessing you but, I didn't have one before and I had my hD DVR receiver working flawlessly. So why do I need one now?
Thanks!

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not that I'm not second guessing you but, I didn't have one before and I had my hD DVR receiver working flawlessly. So why do I need one now?
Thanks!

If you're using a SWiM LNB, it needs more power than a receiver can output.
You "may have" gotten it to work, but you can also fry the receiver power supply too.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

For what it's worth, you can get one of these power inserters on eBay for about $12...delivered.

Sometimes a non-standard or unsupported configuration will work, but it isn't something I personally would want to rely upon. Consider yourself fortunate that it worked before (and you have to ask "how did it get installed that way in the first place?")

If by your own observation you have identifed your dish as the SWM model that was posted I'd just pony up the twelve bucks. You can double check the LNB to be sure but if it has only a single F-connector it is without a doubt a SWM LNB.

The guys on here that know this technology typically know it better than the DirecTV employees. Mainly because they pursue it as a passion and not for a paycheck. Nobody would be telling you that you are supposed to have the PI for a SWM LNB if it wasn't true. They don't have a dog in that fight and gain nothing from it if you go out and buy one. They really are just trying to help.

And not for nothin' but if Veryoldschool tells you something, take it to the bank. I believe he has forgotten more than I will ever know about this stuff and I install all my own equipment so it isn't as if I'm clueless either.

EDIT to add; The funny thing about "flawless" with digital television is that it can indeed appear to be flawless when you are in fact teetering on the brink of failure. A picture with a signal strength of 60 will look just as good as a picture with a signal strength of 99. The difference being that a 60 will be much more easily disrupted and susceptible to failure. Digitial doesn't incrementally deteriorate like analog. It pretty much works...until it doesn't.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#26 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

[quote name='SOLost'][quote name='litzdog911']

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The receiver/dvr puts out at most 18 volts, the power inserter provides 21. Your setup may work for a while without a power inserter, but it's not good for the power supply in the receiver/dvr.

#27 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 02:29 PM

I wasn't questioning the need for the PI, just the reason for needing one since the Directv installer got my set up working without one.

I'm going to get it and try it. It's been raining so I haven't had a chance to mess with it.

Thank you everyone, hopefully I can get my satellite up and running and yeah you guys know your stuff

#28 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,991 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

I wasn't questioning the need for the PI, just the reason for needing one since the Directv installer got my set up working without one.

I'm going to get it and try it. It's been raining so I haven't had a chance to mess with it.

Thank you everyone, hopefully I can get my satellite up and running and yeah you guys know your stuff

I'd make sure the LNB does only have one output connector. He might have swapped you to a legacy LNB and only used one coax. If so you don't want to use a PI.
A.K.A VOS

#29 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:35 PM

D12's auto-detect for SWM, if they smell one the LNB power supply is shut down since its not needed. If you set it to multi-switch the freqs are different.

HR's have to power a DECA the LNB power supply stays on.

...and whatever VOS said.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#30 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

HR24's have a pretty good power supply. Ive forgotten the PI before and got the software to download and have programming on 101 with just the dvr hooked up to the dish. It obvisouly might go flakey but could also keep working, who knows.

I really doubt it would fry the power supply in the receiver, its not like the lnb is demanding more power, it simply quits working without the correct voltage. I would say too much cable length would take out a PS before an lnb would. More cable might draw more amperage, where as the lnb wouldnt.
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's

#31 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:14 PM

The D12 is a relatively low power device and as such, it has a wimpy power supply. The HD DVR has a much larger power supply. If you needed a reason, there it is.

The SWiM LNB is supposed to be used with a PI and no amount of second guessing DIRECTV or anyone else is going to change that.

Self-installing is overrated.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#32 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,423 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:18 PM

I really doubt it would fry the power supply in the receiver, its not like the lnb is demanding more power, it simply quits working without the correct voltage.

The reason that the voltage isn't "correct" is because the power supply is overloaded and the voltage is "sagging". Overloading is a pretty sure way to kill a power supply.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#33 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:34 PM

I really doubt it would fry the power supply in the receiver, its not like the lnb is demanding more power,

Well, yes, actually that is exactly what is happening. It is demanding more power than the receiver was designed to provide. An SWM LNB has more electronics than a non-SWM, and requires more power.

#34 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Ok so it is not the legacy LNB, it has only one open port and the other three are blocked. I have fixed the the elevation and tilt, the azimuth is kinda tricky (any tips?), and i haven't been able to get any signal whatsoever. So, will the PI fix this? Should I still receive some signal without it? Can I buy a PI at Frys or loxal best buy?

#35 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 11,713 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:25 AM

Ok so it is not the legacy LNB, it has only one open port and the other three are blocked. I have fixed the the elevation and tilt, the azimuth is kinda tricky (any tips?), and i haven't been able to get any signal whatsoever. So, will the PI fix this? Should I still receive some signal without it? Can I buy a PI at Frys or loxal best buy?

Yes! Get the PI. No, you won't find it at Fry's or Best Buy. Order one from Solid Signal. Specifically the 21V Power Inserter. Then try aligning the dish again.
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#36 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:42 AM

Sometimes I wanna just loan someone $49.00
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#37 OFFLINE   Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:42 AM

Sometimes I wanna just loan someone $49.00

+1
Opinions expressed by me in my postings are exactly that, opinions.
My opinions in no way reflect those of any company or service.

#38 OFFLINE   HarleyD

HarleyD

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:50 PM

You really only need to loan them about twelve bucks or so.
"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."
--Frank Zappa

#39 OFFLINE   SOLost

SOLost

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 12:52 PM

I doubt he has a dollar to his name.

#40 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:17 PM

$100 says OP had a P.I. at his previous installation and that it was installed in the attic or basement at the switch instead of behind an IRD. If he's just hooking up the one D12, he probably just grabbed the dish and the D12 and was planning on connecting a coax to it straight from the dish. He wouldn't have known about the switch or P.I.

Just call DirecTV. We send 'em out for free.

Edited by smitbret, 18 October 2012 - 01:36 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...