Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Internet connectivity

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   shopper1590

shopper1590

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Trying to resolve some issues on my network. I have a mix of SWM compatible receivers (14 tuners total). Utilizing a SWM16 with the tuners properly balanced with no more than 8 on a side of the SWM. Connected a wired home media connection kit to one side of the SWM that only had 7 tuners in use. Two of the receivers in the house now see the internet with no issues. The two that see the internet are on two different branches of the SWM switch. All receivers are using static IP addresses within the defined range of the DHCP server. Any idea why they all can't see the internet?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,202 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

If they are still performing internet related functions, such as You-Tube, Pandora, VOD, etc - then 2 other people in this same forum are reporting the same problems. They went into menu, settings, network setting and selected restore network defaults. Or something similar. And then you choose connect to internet.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:17 PM

All receivers are using static IP addresses within the defined range of the DHCP server.

To go static it's better to use IP addresses outside of the DHCP range.

You might simply restore network defaults [going back to DHCP] and "connect now" to see if internet works.

If it does and you want to go static, select IPs outside the DHCP range.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   shopper1590

shopper1590

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 05:32 AM

When I "restore defaults" it selects some really weird IP address. But I tried that and it still does not work. I am really stumped. I would expect all of the boxes to get to the internet or none, not two. I did try to Ethernet plug in some of the boxes that are not working. Does that set some default settings when you do that?

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

When I "restore defaults" it selects some really weird IP address. But I tried that and it still does not work. I am really stumped. I would expect all of the boxes to get to the internet or none, not two. I did try to Ethernet plug in some of the boxes that are not working. Does that set some default settings when you do that?

Might be a good time to list your receivers.

When I "restore defaults" it selects some really weird IP address.
I did try to Ethernet plug in some of the boxes

What do you mean by weird? 169.xxx?
If you're using the DECA/coax networking, using ethernet can cause problems.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   shopper1590

shopper1590

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

Yes it defaulted to an IP address in the 169.XXX range

1-HR34
3-HR24
1-H24
2-H23

#7 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:00 AM

Yes it defaulted to an IP address in the 169.XXX range

1-HR34
3-HR24
1-H24
2-H23

169.xxx is their internal IP, so these weren't seeing your router.

Only the HR34 can have an ethernet connection without disabling the internal DECA on your 24s.
The two H23s require external DECAs to be connected to the coax network. They may have two ethernet ports, but only one should ever be used.
A.K.A VOS

#8 OFFLINE   shopper1590

shopper1590

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:11 AM

Do the HR-24's need an external DECA also? One of those is the one seeing the internet and the other two do not.

#9 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

Do the HR-24's need an external DECA also? One of those is the one seeing the internet and the other two do not.

Your 24s & 34 have DECA internally.
A.K.A VOS

#10 OFFLINE   shopper1590

shopper1590

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

Does anybody have any insight on why 1 of the HR24-s would see the internet and the other 2 do not? They are all connected to the same SWM16 switch using DECA. I suspect some settings in the HR24, but I have tried various IP settings and "restore defaults" with no success.

#11 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Does anybody have any insight on why 1 of the HR24-s would see the internet and the other 2 do not? They are all connected to the same SWM16 switch using DECA. I suspect some settings in the HR24, but I have tried various IP settings and "restore defaults" with no success.

Without some more information from you, it would be hard to guess.

These 2 receivers should show how they're connected to the network in the system info screen.
You'll want to see "coax connected" under the network.
A.K.A VOS

#12 OFFLINE   shopper1590

shopper1590

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 04:42 PM

I really appreciate the help. They do say "coax connected", when you are in advanced settings. But when it goes to check for internet access in the next step it fails. What else can I provide for info?

#13 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,767 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

I really appreciate the help. They do say "coax connected", when you are in advanced settings. But when it goes to check for internet access in the next step it fails. What else can I provide for info?

So at least the internal DECAs are active. If a ethernet gets plugged in it turns them off.

Not sure if you've done this yet, but power everything down, including your router.

Power the router back up after a min or longer.

Then power up the DECA that connects to it.

Finally power up each receiver one at a time. Let each come all the way up before powering the next.

After everything is back up, do you still have the problem?
A.K.A VOS

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

So at least the internal DECAs are active. If a ethernet gets plugged in it turns them off.

Not sure if you've done this yet, but power everything down, including your router.

Power the router back up after a min or longer.

Then power up the DECA that connects to it.

Finally power up each receiver one at a time. Let each come all the way up before powering the next.

After everything is back up, do you still have the problem?

Just to add to that, I would also perform a Reset Network Settings prior to powering down the receivers. While they may not connect, when you do power them back up they will then try to obtain an IP address as opposed to using any static IP address that you put in.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

Protected By... spam firewall...And...