Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Watch show from start?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   spurbs

spurbs

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

I put on American Horror Story at 10:01 and the HR34 prompted me to press rewind to start watching from the beginning. Is this a new genie feature?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   viclovr

viclovr

AllStar

• Registered
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

from what i hear ya its a new feature. how it works and when... i dont know.
I may not know as much as the experts but neither did the experts when they themselves were novices.

#3 OFFLINE   mkozak82

mkozak82

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

I just upgraded to the HR34, aka "Genie", and this was one of the advertised features. In the link if you click show press release it lists the features. As a new member the forum will not allow me to post URLs.

• Start Over
- Start programs at the beginning if you tune in late

engadget.com/2012/10/11/directv-genie-dvr-and-interface-launch-with-advice-for-indecisive

However I've not been prompted to restart from the beginning, like you said you were. This has been a Time Warner feature for a few years now and I was excited at the possibility of it. I'm curious if anyone else knows anymore details about it. I'm thinking this is only going to be available for select shows that are available On Demand when you tune in late to watch it live.

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Seems a bit odd. "Rewind" doesn't actually exist in a non-linear playback device, only as a skewmorphic familiar concept for the user. This is why "Be kind, Rewind" disappeared from BlockBuster stores in the 90's along with VHS. It would seem that in today's world, "rewind" would only serve the purpose of being able to watch a show in reverse in order to find and recognize a particular location you were looking for.

So it seems odd that the device would ask you if you wanted to "rewind" (although apparently it does). It seems it would make more sense to ask if you wanted to start the program from the beginning, and if you click yes it just did that. Sort of ergonomically ham-handed.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#5 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,866 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

Not sure what TC is talking about but I have had several instances when another tuner on the 34 has buffered something that I've changed to that it gives me the prompt

<< to start at the beginning.

Works great!

(What the hell is 'skewmorphic'?)

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#6 OFFLINE   kram

kram

Godfather

• Registered
  • 503 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 07:45 AM

This happens all the time with my HR23s and HR24. The recorded program NEVER starts from the beginning, and I ALWAYS have to rewind.

5-LNB SlimLine w/SWM16 // HR44-500 w/Samsung UN40ES6100 // HR24-200 w/Sony KDL-46XBR9 // HR23-700 w/Samsung UN32D4000 // Pioneer Elite VSX-23TXH A/V Receiver // Sony Blu-ray BDP-S3100 // DirecTV since 2000

#7 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,189 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

This happens all the time with my HR23s and HR24. The recorded program NEVER starts from the beginning, and I ALWAYS have to rewind.

Are you sure you didn't resume playback on recorded program from on-screen menu?
Directv Genie DVR HR44-700
Directv HD DVR HR24-500
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv HD Receiver H24-200
Directv Standard SD Receiver D12-700 Deactivated
Directv Subscriber From 2009-?

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,426 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:57 AM

I believe the OP is talking about live TV, not a recording.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,657 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:23 AM

How does this work, does it only work if you have a program buffered?

#10 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

How does this work, does it only work if you have a program buffered?

Yes but it is a little inconsistent. I seen this if you are using Double Play and coming out of a recording.

JACK,

spam firewall