Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Arrow

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,726 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:55 PM

Wasn't sure the First Week, thought with a 8 PM start it was going to be kinda focus on the real young crowd, but the Second Week has me liking the Arrow character and it's kinda fun to watch.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 17 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

I'm watching it now. I like it as well. It makes for really good action.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:00 PM

THE CW ORDERS FULL SEASON OF BREAKOUT HIT "ARROW"

The CW picked up a full season of its breakout hit drama ARROW, it was announced today by Mark Pedowitz, President, The CW.

"Our strategy of rolling out our new fall schedule later in the year really paid off for The CW on several levels, especially with ARROW, which was the network's most watched premiere in three years and is one of the breakout hits of the new season," said Pedowitz. "I'm proud of the quality of ARROW and I'm happy we'll be able to share more of it with viewers."

. . . . .

SOURCE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#4 OFFLINE   RASCAL01

RASCAL01

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

The show has been pretty good...I wished they would have used the same actor that played Green Arrow on Smallville. That would have made more sence.
RASCAL01
DISH 622, Hopper, Hopper2, Joey
TOSHIBA REGZA 55 LED/LCD 24O HZ
SONY AV 5.1 SOUROUND SOUND
SONY 3D BLUE RAY PLAYER

#5 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,661 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Arrow is my favorite new show of the 2012-2013 season. Justin Hartley was a very good Oliver Queen on Smallville, but I'm actually glad they recast the role for the new series. Smallville morphed into a quite-serious show by the end of its run, but Arrow has a lot more depth and needed a fresh start. If I saw Justin Hartley in Arrow I would have just been reminded of Smallville and wondered where Chloe is...

#6 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

Good show.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#7 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,702 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:46 PM

If I saw Justin Hartley in Arrow I would have just been reminded of Smallville and wondered where Chloe is...

I liked the Aquaman pilot Justin Hartley did a few years ago. It probably wouldn't have worked very well as an ongoing series, but it was a fun concept. He's been a pretty reliable performer for the CW, they just haven't found the right vehicle for him.

Hopefully, like with Alex O'Loughlin over at CBS who got three series leads until one show (Hawaii 5-O) finally clicked, the CW will do the same for Justin and they'll keep working with him.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#8 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:03 PM

Fabulous show. Tonight's episode best yet.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#9 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

I was afraid this show was going to be shallow. It looked like it was going to be about taking out another name in the book each week, but it has become a lot more complex than that. The only thing predictable about this show is that it is unpredictable. Glad to hear it being pick up for a full season.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#10 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:04 PM

Yep, another great ep this week.

#11 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

My vote for best network offering for 2012!

It has a mix of a long term story arc, gripping episodic situations, solid plot twists, well scripted, well acted, and visually incredible. It has that comic book fantasy world visualized look with an engrossing story.

Don "and I was expecting just another time filler show at the onset" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#12 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

I like it more than I thought I would, especially since he is now building a little Scooby gang. Lead actor a little dull and full of himself; his turn on Hung was more interesting. Island flashbacks are becoming ponderous. If I were casting this I would have liked someone a little more like the guy who plays Cameron Hicks in Alphas. At least he has a personality.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#13 OFFLINE   HinterXGames

HinterXGames

Godfather

• Registered
  • 313 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:14 AM

Hmm. I've been leary to try it. In part because I was a Smallville fan, so hard to imagine anyone but Justin Hartley, but also because I could have swore I read that CW said this show would not take place within the DC Universe, nor would other DC characters be bought in. Basically, it would ignore other DC characters.
--
That they wanted to 'real it up'. A term that makes me shudder when dealing with comic book related material. Does it ignore the DC Universe, or incorporate it?

#14 OFFLINE   joshjr

joshjr

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,315 posts
  • LocationNE Oklahoma

Posted 21 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

Its been good but is slowing down just a little for me. I think I am 1 episode behind now.
Directv & Sunday Ticket Sub Since 8/19/2008
HR24-200 Leased, HR24-200 Owned, R22-200 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR22-100 Owned, HR34-700 Leased. 5 LNB Setup W/SWM 16 Switch
Sony KDL-46HX800

#15 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Hmm. I've been leary to try it. In part because I was a Smallville fan, so hard to imagine anyone but Justin Hartley, but also because I could have swore I read that CW said this show would not take place within the DC Universe, nor would other DC characters be bought in. Basically, it would ignore other DC characters.
--
That they wanted to 'real it up'. A term that makes me shudder when dealing with comic book related material. Does it ignore the DC Universe, or incorporate it?

I had your same reservations. But even though I am still working my way through the last season of Smallville, it's really a different character and a different story, and they do not collide at all. So go ahead, these reservations should not be enough to keep you from a show that you may really like.

Honestly, the terms "Green" and "Arrow" don't even come up at all, although his snazzy crime-fighter outfit is admittedly green. I don't know a lot about the GA back story, but if this show had a different name (as did the characters) and the outfit was blue or yellow, DC could probably not even mount a credible lawsuit claiming infringement; that's how different this is. Being different from Smallville's GA could have turned out to be a good thing, or an embarrassingly bad thing. But it turned out to be absolutely the right path for them to take.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#16 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

"Green Arrow" has come up once in one of the last 2 or 3 ep's. If it is true that they aren't using any DC rights the dialogue in that scene is even funnier than I first thought.

#17 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:25 AM

"Green Arrow" has come up once in one of the last 2 or 3 ep's. If it is true that they aren't using any DC rights the dialogue in that scene is even funnier than I first thought.

Oh I have no doubts that they have the rights. It's a good thing; trying to squeeze this show by while walking a tightrope on what they don't have rights for would probably ruin the show. But not being completely "on the nose" with the character and not putting him in lime-green tights is just the subtlety that makes this work. It's the right approach; the only corrrect approach. Miles Davis said "Less is more", and he could not have been more correct.

And yes, you are right. the same night I made my last post saying they never reference the name "Green Arrow", two hours later I watched the "fall finale" ep, in which John Barrowman suggests that name for "the Hood" over the dinner table, to which Stephen Amell says "Lame!", which was probably the comedic highlight of the series. Made me like it even more.

I still am not sure Stephen Amell is the right fit for this role. He seems to flounder when attempting to express emotion of any kind or in reacting to events around him. I'm afraid he just isn't that good of an actor yet. Let's hope the show lasts long enough for him to find himself and grow into the character. But there are a lot of out-of-work actors that I would have chosen first.

An actor who is really good at reacting to events? Julianna Marguiles (Hmmm. wouldn't she make an interesting Green Arrow!). Her entire purpose on The Good Wife is reacting to her environment, but she does it so incredibly well that she draws the viewer in and gets them to identify with her. It's partially a learned technique, so Stephen Amell has a chance to get there, but it is also partly a function of raw talent, so there is no guarantee that he will.

Edited by TomCat, 29 January 2013 - 06:39 AM.

#18 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:54 PM

Arrow been picked up for next season

SOURCE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once

#19 OFFLINE   Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,246 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Woohoo!

The acting isn't Shakespearean but good enough. The stories and the storytelling are pretty good. I'm looking forward to how all this unfolds.

Thanks, Drucifer!

Go Packers!

My real treasures: 5 Grandchildren - S, D, M, M, C ; Now 5! Great-Grandtibbers - B, H, J, A, and M (Born 7/31/2011)

#20 OFFLINE   dettxw

dettxw

MRVing

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,004 posts
  • LocationChoctaw, OK

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

I'm alright with that. :righton:

-Steve- Subscriber since Sept 1998  My Complete Setup

SWM16 / HR44-500 (2TB & AM21) / HR34-700 (3TB & AM21) / HR24-500 (2TB eSATA) / C31 via WCCK / C41 x2 / C41W / H25-700

spam firewall