Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Startup Code to initiate a Hard Drive Scan

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot

Godfather

• Registered
  • 826 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 01:44 AM

What is the startup up procedure to manually force a Hard Drive Scan.

My attempts to locate it via search have come up blank and it's been over 2 years since I last used it - and as thus I do not remember the combination.

Seems one of the items was holding a button on the actual DVR @ startup but just cannot remember which.

TIA

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,828 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 08:48 AM

Press select on your remote when you see the screen saying the unit is checking hardware.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,882 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:34 AM

What is the startup up procedure to manually force a Hard Drive Scan.

My attempts to locate it via search have come up blank and it's been over 2 years since I last used it - and as thus I do not remember the combination.

Seems one of the items was holding a button on the actual DVR @ startup but just cannot remember which.

TIA

IIRC, that no longer works. However, when the DVR is starting up and you see the running self-test screen press the select button. That will take you to the system diagnostics. You'll be able to run a hard drive test from there.

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#4 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,469 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:17 AM

I believe it has become Automatic as my DVR performed a surface disc scan without asking me for any input and it wiped out all of my Settings, Recordings, Series Links, etc. as if I had just installed a brand new hard drive.

Bummer but at least it is working now but I won't put anything I want to keep very long on it as it will probably need another new hard drive within 6 months.

Once it finds Bad Sectors and Repairs them you are okay for a little while but then other Bad Sectors show up as the plate layer is thinning due to age. :nono2:
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

IIRC, that no longer works. However, when the DVR is starting up and you see the running self-test screen press the select button. That will take you to the system diagnostics. You'll be able to run a hard drive test from there.

Mike

Record and > [on the front panel] during boot "used to" format the drive. This was changed to a disk scan, "but" it doesn't work with the HR24, due most likely to the different type of front panel.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...