Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Anyone own an electric car?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,393 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:33 AM

A couple of things affect battery life. Extreme heat, extreme cold, rapid recharging.

A 60 mile commute is perfect for the range you need, even more perfect if you can find a free charging station at work. Most all the charging stations in our area are free.

Nissan estimates about a 10% battery degradation, but users are seeing less than that.

When I bought my hybrid in 2007, they mentioned a possible battery change at 80k. I'm at 75k and as mentioned above, dealers have seen 150k or more.

I'd do it!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Battery replacement are always going to be the biggest existence in these vehicles. When you go to sell your 6 or 7 year old Leaf, how much could it be worth if the buyer has to consider a 12 to 15 thousand dollar battery replacement in a couple of years?
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#23 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Battery replacement are always going to be the biggest existence in these vehicles. When you go to sell your 6 or 7 year old Leaf, how much could it be worth if the buyer has to consider a 12 to 15 thousand dollar battery replacement in a couple of years?

12 to 15 thousand? replacemtn is around 3600 minus the core recovery rebate. At 6 or 7 years the batteries are still under warrenty for failure

#24 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Another reason I leased the Leaf for 3 years (39 months) . . . Battery technology should be at another stage by then.

And it's almost official. . . we took delivery on Oct. 25 last year. So at 1 year, $0 in gas, $0 in maintenance dollars.

I did have to use my own compressor to top off the air in the tires once. It does have the sensors / dashboard alert.

#25 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:41 PM

12 to 15 thousand? replacement is around 3600 minus the core recovery rebate. At 6 or 7 years the batteries are still under warranty for failure

Even if we use your figure, and my research shows a much higher cost, at seven years old the replacement battery pack exceeds the value of the car.

I certainly wouldn't even consider the purchase, unless the price was minimal, if I had to invest that much money to keep it on the road. So, you as the owner, have a car that is essentially worthless unless you buy batteries for it.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#26 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

The leasing companies have enough confidence to price the car and make their money. Your research may show differently - there's lots of good / bad information out there - but there are no horrow stories about battery life.

Check the price of a used Prius.

#27 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

Even if we use your figure, and my research shows a much higher cost, at seven years old the replacement battery pack exceeds the value of the car.

I certainly wouldn't even consider the purchase, unless the price was minimal, if I had to invest that much money to keep it on the road. So, you as the owner, have a car that is essentially worthless unless you buy batteries for it.

When I was getting the reverse camera installed on my C-Max I was talking to the Shop Manager on costs, she looked up the cost of the replacement battery tray and the labor hours needed, minus the core recover rebate the cost to replace the battery tray that is covered by warranty for 8 yrs / 100,000 miles came nowhere close to your researched figure.

Consumer reports even agreed back in 2008 for the Prius

http://news.consumer...us-battery.html

#28 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

Well, I did it. I signed a 3 year lease on a 2012 Ford Focus Fusion EV.

I pick it up this afternoon in time to catch the rain! It's pretty amazing how far these cars have come in a few short years. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 3 years. Maybe I'll buy one next time!

#29 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 09:41 AM

I would love to get one but they are out of my price range. Maybe when they get in the 15k to 20k.

#30 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

Congratulations, dmspen! I think you'll really like it.

It's official, I had my 'annual' checkup (free) and $0 in maintenance for the year and negligible capacity loss on the batteries.

#31 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

Well, I did it. I signed a 3 year lease on a 2012 Ford Focus Fusion EV.

I pick it up this afternoon in time to catch the rain! It's pretty amazing how far these cars have come in a few short years. It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next 3 years. Maybe I'll buy one next time!

those are nice, I looked at them when I was shopping around but the new Ford C-MAX caught and held my attention, been driving one for less then a month.

The power and acceleration of the C-MAX is amazing for a hybrid, not to mention getting 41 miles to the gallon, big difference from my 7 mile to the gallon H1, still getting used to the smaller car, a big adjustment for me, let alone being able to go through narrow city streets.

#32 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 09:30 AM

I would love to get one but they are out of my price range. Maybe when they get in the 15k to 20k.

Consider my car. If I bought it, with Ford incentives, it would be about $28,000. California has a $2500 incentive program. Feds give you $7500 off your taxes. Now you're down to $18000.

I went from $210/month avg for gas to $0 (charge at work).

A 5 year loan at 2% would be about $322/mo. SO you could end up with a new car for about $100/month for 5 years (add $30-60/month if you charge at home)

#33 OFFLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:04 AM

Consider my car. If I bought it, with Ford incentives, it would be about $28,000. California has a $2500 incentive program. Feds give you $7500 off your taxes. Now you're down to $18000.

A 5 year loan at 2% would be about $322/mo. SO you could end up with a new car for about $100/month for 5 years (add $30-60/month if you charge at home)

In my case it would be $25500 as I don't paid taxes being retired. Even the $322 is a little beyond my reach.

#34 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

The Federal rebate can come off the top of the lease. The Nissan dealer filed that.

Since it's a tax credit, I think you could get a refund even with 0 taxes paid.

It really becomes a 'free car' if you commute 40-80 miles a day.

#35 OFFLINE   wingrider01

wingrider01

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,764 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

the 7500 fed rebate expired unless you are talking on pure electrics and not convential gas/electric hybrids

http://www.edmunds.c...ax-credits.html

#36 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:41 AM

the 7500 fed rebate expired unless you are talking on pure electrics and not convential gas/electric hybrids

http://www.edmunds.c...ax-credits.html

Yes, my Ford Focus is 100% electric, so that was my reference.

I also forgot to mention the CarPool stickers!

#37 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:16 AM

The leasing companies have enough confidence to price the car and make their money. Your research may show differently - there's lots of good / bad information out there - but there are no horrow stories about battery life.

Check the price of a used Prius.

A friend of mine got a Prius when they came out. He just traded it in for a new one. He's a very good auto mechanic and he's had no problems with either car. I just know he wanted to take it apart, but never had a reason to. Problem is, I can't fit in the damn thing. Height discrimination is a terrible thing to go thru life with.... :lol:

Rich

#38 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:17 AM

Congratulations, dmspen! I think you'll really like it.

It's official, I had my 'annual' checkup (free) and $0 in maintenance for the year and negligible capacity loss on the batteries.

How tall are you?

Rich

#39 ONLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,393 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

For what it's worth, I'm 5'6. The salesman was over 6', about 250# and fit comfortably.

Tommy Burleson (NCSU Center in the 70's) is 7'4" and drove a VW beetle.

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,463 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

For what it's worth, I'm 5'6. The salesman was over 6', about 250# and fit comfortably.

You can't begin to imagine what it's like to be tall. When I graduated from high school, every car I got into I had to pull the seat up. Not the same now. Now that Cadillac and Lincoln are only making small cars, I don't know where to go to get another car.

Tommy Burleson (NCSU Center in the 70's) is 7'4" and drove a VW beetle.

I'm a bit over 6'4" and I had a '69 Bug and had to pull the seat up. Not so with the new Bugs. We used to drive from Norfolk to NYC every weekend we were in port in a Bug. Used to put six thin people in the car or five if there were a couple heavy guys going. Once we packed 7 guys in (one sat between the driver and passenger seats. Horribly uncomfortable, but we did it. Try that with one of the new Bugs. I was really disappointed with the new Bugs.

Rich

spam firewall