Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV 3rd Quarter Results Conference Call

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

I will no longer post and just lurk..

+1

See post My Setup for configuration info.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,407 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:08 AM

I think Directv has made it pretty plain they no longer care about retaining their old customers and that everything is now about attracting the new customer. And yes I think this will come back to bite them as churn is expensive. Also, I believe they have lowered their sites to the Ma and Pa Kettle customer where as before I believe they were aiming at the into technology customer.

Headlines from the 2011 annual report

Keeping Our Core U.S. Business Healthy

in a Climate of Change

Rebalancing Profitable Growth

and Retention While Managing costs

Reinventing the TV Experience:

Anywhere/Anytime; Better Bundles; New Revenue

Link to report:
[URL]http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/DTV/2132055082x0x554314/10371236-905D-4AC2-B42A-36E4FBD4F1E7/Directv_2011_Annual_Report_Updated_As_Printing.pdf[/URL]

Starts on page 17 of report.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#23 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,949 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

I confess, I am confused. I only have 3 earned college degrees but am not smart enough to have any idea what that is supposed to mean. OK, you guys win. You guys can nod, wink and congratulate yourselves on how smart and clever you are. I will no longer post and just lurk. I don't have all the answers but am at least smart enough that in the 31 years I was employed before I retired to not blanket accept what my employer told me. I think you guys will someday get there too with age and experience.

Don't sulk! Please do say what evidence you have for the assertions you've made.
BTW, NO ONE here has all the answers!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#24 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,472 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:41 PM

I confess, I am confused. I only have 3 earned college degrees but am not smart enough to have any idea what that is supposed to mean. OK, you guys win. .

Guess not.

It was a direct answer to your last sentence about not following the company line. It is clear you don't even know what directv's line is.

Pretty simple. Just read the post including your words.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#25 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:51 AM

From http://dtv.client.sh...eleaseID=718849 . Here's some info concerning the US segment:

In the quarter, DIRECTV U.S. revenues increased 6% to $5.77 billion compared with the third quarter of 2011 primarily due to strong ARPU growth and a larger subscriber base. Net subscriber growth of 67,000 decreased from the prior year period principally due to lower gross subscriber additions as well as an increase in the average monthly churn rate. Gross additions declined mainly due to a greater focus on higher quality subscribers and stricter credit policies, as well as lower contributions from the Telco sales channel. The higher churn rate in the quarter was principally driven by a contract dispute with a large programmer that resulted in the removal of several channels for nine days in the third quarter. ARPU increased 4.6% to $96.41 mostly due to price increases on programming packages, higher advanced service fees and an additional week of NFL Sunday Ticket revenues in the quarter, partially offset by increased promotional offers to new and existing customers. DIRECTV U.S. ended the quarter with 19.98 million subscribers compared with 19.76 million subscribers reported for the quarter ended September 30, 2011.

Churn was up and they added only 67K net new subs in the quarter this year vs. 327K last year.

At least they didn't lose money and subs like Dish did this quarter.

Edited by RAD, 06 November 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#26 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:54 AM

I think it's an improvement over last quarter and I'm willing to bet they are the only MSO in the top 10 with any net adds, possibly the only one with net profit.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#27 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 06 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think it's an improvement over last quarter and I'm willing to bet they are the only MSO in the top 10 with any net adds, possibly the only one with net profit.

Fios added 119,000 3rd qtr.

#28 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

And this was the quarter that the Viacom dispute was in which probably had an impact on those numbers.

#29 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:01 AM

TV, Internet, phone...?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

And this was the quarter that the Viacom dispute was in which probably had an impact on those numbers.

The Pac12 Network supporters were sure they'd have net loss...oops.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   kick4fun

kick4fun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

Did I miss something? Have we seen the results yet?

#32 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Yes, several sites have posted them.

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,861 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

Well I guess I lose that bet then :)

#34 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

So much for that theory.

Given how much FIOS had been scaling back and the stagnation in channel adds, I'm more than a little surprised by this.

I think the most telling statistic in the FIOS numbers is that even with most of their customers subscribing to relatively high speed broadband, their ARPU is only $7 more than that of DIRECTV. DIRECTV would seem to be pretty firmly established as the leader in high fee TV. Great for the company but not so much for the subscribers.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#35 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,557 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:37 AM

Did I miss something? Have we seen the results yet?

The press release went out before The Bell this morning:

http://investor.dire...eleaseID=718849

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#36 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:56 AM

TV, Internet, phone...?

"....said that its FiOS TV service added 119,000 pay TV subscribers in the third quarter."

#37 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,911 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

"....said that its FiOS TV service added 119,000 pay TV subscribers in the third quarter."

Thanks dcowboy.

#38 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,024 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

What will be most interesting is how bad churn is in la for this quarter especially if they never pick up the lakers channel. I never thought that the pac12 by itself could cause major issues but I full well believe it combined with the lakers channel will cause them major churn increases and likely a sub loss in at least the California market if not flat growth for the company.

I see the larger problem of not picking up either of these channels being that at some point people in la are found to be less likely to even consider dtv and that in the long run will hurt them, especially on churn I think.

#39 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 15,985 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:26 PM

What will be most interesting is how bad churn is in la for this quarter especially if they never pick up the lakers channel. I never thought that the pac12 by itself could cause major issues but I full well believe it combined with the lakers channel will cause them major churn increases and likely a sub loss in at least the California market if not flat growth for the company.

I see the larger problem of not picking up either of these channels being that at some point people in la are found to be less likely to even consider dtv and that in the long run will hurt them, especially on churn I think.

White on the call said they watch churn numbers every day and the reason why. So I'd guess if there was a major increase in the LA market they might be more flexible. But White also said the current RSN model is broken, doesn't like how the teams start up a new channel repackaging some existing programming and want a big increase.

#40 OFFLINE   sum_random_dork

sum_random_dork

Icon

• Registered
  • 890 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 04:30 PM

White on the call said they watch churn numbers every day and the reason why. So I'd guess if there was a major increase in the LA market they might be more flexible. But White also said the current RSN model is broken, doesn't like how the teams start up a new channel repackaging some existing programming and want a big increase.

I think we need to take his comments with a grain of salt...remember DirecTV owns Root Sports. He doesn't like the fact teams are starting their own networks...with the help of the likes of Comcast/TWC. DirecTV sees teams they had deals with hin the past leaving to better offers from another provider. Most of the "new" channels started up were with the help of another provider CSN Houston (Rockets Astros) and TWC (Lakers). I highly doubt he'd be saying the system was broken if Root went into a market and started up a channel with the help of a major sports franchise. I don't think they Dodgers have signed a new deal yet, I am sure Root would love to be a player with the Dodgers if/when they start up their own network.

spam firewall