Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A HR-34 / C-31 problem even DirecTV couldn't fix

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:20 PM

So I turn to you.

Last week I traded in three HR-24s (one not connected to a tv, but only used to record stuff) for a HR-34 and C-31. Everything was great, until they disconnected my three HR-24s. When they did this, it turned off Whole Home. Very little impact, but an annoying problem came up.

My C-31 sees and displays everything from the HR-34. I can use the tuners, watch recorded show, record shows...the whole bit. The one and only thing that I can't do from the C-31 is delete shows. So I called DirecTV back, they sent a guy out, and he couldn't fix it. He was on the phone with two levels of tech support for an hour, and they both essentially gave up, and said they had to escalate it. That was Tue and I haven't heard anything.

So, from the HR-34, I can't add a client as Whole Home isn't activated. On the website it says it isn't available to me. Tech support says Whole Home can't be activated because I only have one DVR, and it takes two to activate WH.

Like I said, the C-31 does EVERYTHING, except the ability to delete recorded programs.

So, after being confounded for a week, I turn to you.

For you with the HR-34 and only C-31s, do you have Whole Home activated on yours? Any suggestions?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,864 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

I recall the "C31 can't delete" been discussed here last week. Did you try to find that solution here ?

#3 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

I recall the "C31 can't delete" been discussed here last week. Did you try to find that solution here ?

Yeah, I searched the threads and couldn't find anything. Maybe it has been discussed, but I couldn't find it.

#4 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 05:03 PM

So I turn to you.

Last week I traded in three HR-24s (one not connected to a tv, but only used to record stuff) for a HR-34 and C-31. Everything was great, until they disconnected my three HR-24s. When they did this, it turned off Whole Home. Very little impact, but an annoying problem came up.

My C-31 sees and displays everything from the HR-34. I can use the tuners, watch recorded show, record shows...the whole bit. The one and only thing that I can't do from the C-31 is delete shows. So I called DirecTV back, they sent a guy out, and he couldn't fix it. He was on the phone with two levels of tech support for an hour, and they both essentially gave up, and said they had to escalate it. That was Tue and I haven't heard anything.

So, from the HR-34, I can't add a client as Whole Home isn't activated. On the website it says it isn't available to me. Tech support says Whole Home can't be activated because I only have one DVR, and it takes two to activate WH.

Like I said, the C-31 does EVERYTHING, except the ability to delete recorded programs.

For you with the HR-34 and only C-31s, do you have Whole Home activated on yours? Any suggestions?

I have the HR34 with Whole Home activated ($20-$10 with Auto Pay) and I can do it all as far as DVR options go from the C31 clients including option to delete recorded programs. I do have other issues though, still working with Direct on fixing them....

#5 OFFLINE   osocoloso

osocoloso

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:06 PM

Under Settings, Whole Home, Share Playlist

There's a setting to allow deletion from other rooms. Is it set properly?

#6 OFFLINE   harperhometheater

harperhometheater

Legend

• Registered
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Tell them to put the $20 "Advanced Receiver Fee" on there which should include Whole Home service in it.
HarperVision, LLC
ISF Calibrations, Installations,
Repairs & Consultations

#7 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:25 PM

Under Settings, Whole Home, Share Playlist

There's a setting to allow deletion from other rooms. Is it set properly?

Not an option for the HR-34 as Whole Home isn't authorized.

#8 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

In order for the C31 to function properly, you must have Whole Home Activated.

Call back and find someone that can activate it for you.

Once activated, make sure sharing is set to ON on the HR34 and deletion is set to ALLOW

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#9 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

In order for the C31 to function properly, you must have Whole Home Activated.

Call back and find someone that can activate it for you.

Once activated, make sure sharing is set to ON on the HR34 and deletion is set to ALLOW

And here is my frustration...DTV says (via three service reps on the phone to the service tech they sent out) that WH can't be activated since there isn't a second DVR. :( They all claim (via two calls from me on two from the tech) the C31 doesn't count for WH since it isn't a receiver.

They have all tried to activate WH, to the extent of deauthorizing my gear and reauthorizing it. Frustration.

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,482 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 19 October 2012 - 08:53 PM

My understanding is that it takes one DVR and then however many receivers you want to be connected to the DVR to create a Whole Home DVR configuration.
There are many homes with only 1 DVR.

I think the problem is with the C31 and it's status in the system is not recognized as a receiver / tuner.
If you had an H25 in place of the C31 for instance, they could activate Whole Home DVR service.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#11 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

If you had an H25 in place of the C31 for instance, they could activate Whole Home DVR service.

That is exactly what tech support is saying. For some reason their system won't recognize the C-31 as a receiver, therefore they can't activate WH. Ugh....:nono:

#12 OFFLINE   Strog

Strog

Mentor

• Registered
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

That is exactly what tech support is saying. For some reason their system won't recognize the C-31 as a receiver, therefore they can't activate WH. Ugh....:nono:

I don't have any extra receivers with tuners on my account. Just 1 HR34 and 3 C31 clients and the option for WH is there and activated. Maybe they need to setup new account for you.

#13 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

I don't have any extra receivers with tuners on my account. Just 1 HR34 and 3 C31 clients and the option for WH is there and activated. Maybe they need to setup new account for you.

That is what I'm thinking is going to be the solution....

Thanks for the confirmation that you can have WH and only one DVR.

#14 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Will/can they turn on whole home if you ask them to do so in "unsupported" mode?

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#15 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Will/can they turn on whole home if you ask them to do so in "unsupported" mode?

I think it's something different, but you could be correct.

That is what I'm thinking is going to be the solution....

Thanks for the confirmation that you can have WH and only one DVR.

You can't have WHDVR with just a DVR and the Genie is not just a DVR. With that said you should be able to do what it is your wanting to do but something is out of synch.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#16 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

I think it's something different, but you could be correct.

You can't have WHDVR with just a DVR and the Genie is not just a DVR. With that said you should be able to do what it is your wanting to do but something is out of synch.

I agree and that makes perfect sense. And I know people can have a -34 and -31 and have them both work. Some seem to have WH on with just a -34 and -31, so I think it is just that the setup I have is new and they haven't worked through the kinks. And what I want to do really isn't that big of a deal in the big picture.

My frustration is purely with the fact they can't fix it.

#17 OFFLINE   caseyf5

caseyf5

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts
  • LocationBethpage, NY 11714

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:15 AM

So I turn to you.

Hello jimrobinette,

This problem sounds like a firmware update is needed to the C31, an update to the whole home software or an update for both. You must admit that you have an unusual setup that DirecTV engineers/code writers probably never thought about or if considered this situation a very small problem that they would address when and if it arose. :confused: :nono2:
My setup: 1 HR34/700 DVR no external HD, 1 HR24/500 DVR using WD 2TB Green HD and Antec MX-1 enclosure (used for CE) and 3 H24/700 receivers, 1 SL5 Dish (4 cable), 1 SWM16 Multiswitch, 1 Wired CCK. 1 Whole Home with DECA, 1 Sharp LC-37GP1U TV, 1 Sony Home Theater System HT-CT550W (Soundbar), 1 Impact 6x2 Component Video Matrix (Switcher) and 2 Sewell 1x2 HDMI Splitters with Ethernet, 3D Support and 4Kx2K Resolution with multiple hdmi cables with Ethernet.

#18 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:36 AM

Not an option for the HR-34 as Whole Home isn't authorized.

This is the problem. There is a special authorization procedure for C31s. Whole Home does need to be authorized and this person you spoke to doesn't know how to do it.

The problem is most likely not a firmware issue, it is very unlikely it needs to be addressed that way. The problem is that the people at DIRECTV are not activating the C31 properly for you.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#19 OFFLINE   larryk

larryk

Legend

• Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I just had an install at a friends home of an HR34 and C31, these are the only devices, no whole home, and delete from the C31 works just fine. The installer said that you have to say no to "copy from server" during the install of the client. I have no idea if that was it or not...

#20 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 87 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:01 AM

So I turn to you.

I'm having the exact same problem... STILL working with the techs trying to get it figured out!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...