Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A HR-34 / C-31 problem even DirecTV couldn't fix

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

The installer is wrong, copy from server works fine. However, he obviously went through the right install procedure if deletion works. New customers get the ARS fee added which includes whole home service.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:20 AM

This issue will be fixed at a date TBD. A work around is to keep another HD receiver or HD DVR active on the account or wait until the fix goes in.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#23 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:15 AM

This is the problem. There is a special authorization procedure for C31s. Whole Home does need to be authorized and this person you spoke to doesn't know how to do it.

The problem is most likely not a firmware issue, it is very unlikely it needs to be addressed that way. The problem is that the people at DIRECTV are not activating the C31 properly for you.

This issue will be fixed at a date TBD. A work around is to keep another HD receiver or HD DVR active on the account or wait until the fix goes in.

So which is it? Is it that CSRs are not activating the C31s properly or is it an issue on D*'s end that will be fixed at a date TBD that requires a workaround of having another DVR on the account?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#24 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

So which is it? Is it that CSRs are not activating the C31s properly or is it an issue on D*'s end that will be fixed at a date TBD that requires a workaround of having another DVR on the account?

I talked to the tech last night and he said that this issue is in the hands of the engineers and they are working on a fix. Sounds like its an issue on D*'s end and he suggested that the fix might be in the form of a software update. He said I would hear back later this week on the solution or else call back later this week on an update. So sounds like we'll have to wait till the engineers figure out the problem.

#25 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

I talked to the tech last night and he said that this issue is in the hands of the engineers and they are working on a fix. Sounds like its an issue on D*'s end and he suggested that the fix might be in the form of a software update. He said I would hear back later this week on the solution or else call back later this week on an update. So sounds like we'll have to wait till the engineers figure out the problem.

It is not a software issue. The C31 needs to be activated a certain way in order for Whole Home to be activated on HR34/C31 installs. If the CSR knows what they are doing, it will be done correctly. For those that don't know, like the CSR in the OP's case, it causes issues.

I assume Shades comment about a fix coming is referring to a way that makes it easy for CSRs to do this.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#26 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:52 AM

It is not a software issue. The C31 needs to be activated a certain way in order for Whole Home to be activated on HR34/C31 installs. If the CSR knows what they are doing, it will be done correctly. For those that don't know, like the CSR in the OP's case, it causes issues.

I assume Shades comment about a fix coming is referring to a way that makes it easy for CSRs to do this.

- Merg

Yes your probably right - the tech tried adding whole home to my account again last night also, just to see if it would work and he said it still wasn't working for whatever reason... so must wait for the engineers to fix this. I'm not sure why he mentioned a software update, but maybe he was meaning on there end?

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:10 AM

Actually, I'm sad to say, but it's a common way that CSRs will get you off the phone, promising that an update will fix it and all you have to do is sit back. They've been using that one for years.

#28 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

It would be nice if one of the knowledgeable DirecTV employees who frequents this forum would post the CSR instructions for activating this properly. I remember back when whole home went from Beta to official and some of us needed to get the "unsupported whole home" turned on. Someone posted the specific procedure that the CSR needed to follow.

I was able to walk the CSR that I was working with step by step through the different screens, using that "script" in order to get setup properly.

#29 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:53 AM

I've been assured it will be fixed on the back end rather quickly and that some of the relevant systems are already updated.

#30 OFFLINE   keebler21

keebler21

Mentor

• Registered
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:36 AM

I've been assured it will be fixed on the back end rather quickly and that some of the relevant systems are already updated.

So the tech telling me the engineers are working on a fix and should be available in the next few days is a true statement.

Overall strange issue and something you would think would be an easy fix but things must be pretty technical on the back end of D*'s operation. Would be interesting to see how everything works behind the scenes as I'm someone that works in the IT field.

#31 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:53 AM

- Merg

It is a software issue actually. It will impact people who activated their account prior to the price change this year and remove all equipment on the account except a Genie and the client(s). Agents have no impact on this at all so it's not like there's a konami code they have to enter before they update it or you don't get the special features.

The ETA of the next few days is extremely optimistic but I do know that it's in the hands of the people who can get it resolved.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,863 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

Hello jimrobinette,

This problem sounds like a firmware update is needed to the C31, an update to the whole home software or an update for both. You must admit that you have an unusual setup that DirecTV engineers/code writers probably never thought about or if considered this situation a very small problem that they would address when and if it arose. :confused: :nono2:

I see nothing unusual about his setup at all. And his current setup with a genie and genie clients will soon be the normal install going forward.

#33 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:07 PM

Sounds like it is something at the HQ. Thanks to all and especially to Shades for getting some clarity on this.

It is easy to live with a problem (however small it may be) if you know someone is actively working on a solution. :)

Edited by jimrobinette, 26 October 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#34 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:30 AM

I'm having a HR34 and a C31 installed tomorrow at our vacation house. Is there anything I can do to make sure this gets set up properly?

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#35 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:37 AM

It is a software issue actually. It will impact people who activated their account prior to the price change this year and remove all equipment on the account except a Genie and the client(s). Agents have no impact on this at all so it's not like there's a konami code they have to enter before they update it or you don't get the special features.

The ETA of the next few days is extremely optimistic but I do know that it's in the hands of the people who can get it resolved.

By software issue, I was referring to the firmware with the receivers and by a fix for the CSR's, I was referring to a system fix on the CSR's systems, so I think we are on the same page, even though I didn't say it clearly.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,981 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:55 AM

I'm having a HR34 and a C31 installed tomorrow at our vacation house. Is there anything I can do to make sure this gets set up properly?

Perhaps reading reports here ....

#37 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

Perhaps reading reports here ....

I read the thread. Shades indicates I may not have to worry (in post #31) since I'm activating after the price increase. I was hoping for something I could do tomorrow to be pro-active.

House #1:
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
AU9 SWM5

#38 OFFLINE   jimrobinette

jimrobinette

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

Pure speculation here....

I betting the issue I have is caused by the fact that I had multiple DVRs and then added a HR-34/C-31 and removed all other previous gear.

A clean install might be different. Again, pure speculation.

Seems like the issue is identified and is being worked on.

#39 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:52 PM

It got set up properly for me today.

House #1:
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
AU9 SWM5

#40 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,863 posts