Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Leaving Dish? Beware!

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:44 PM

Mister ex, each device in his home came as owned, or as leased what must be accompanied pink slip with serial number.
Are you listening ? Copy of this work order reside in dish database and that installer. Are you still deaf ?

You have no idea how it really works :)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

Then give us your sacred knowledge.

I'm telling you how it works for me, from first hand experience. And I spend quite some time on a phone and chats with dish employees to settle same 'owned-leased' tugboat more then one time.

#23 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Then give us your sacred knowledge.

I'm telling you how it works for me, from first hand experience. And I spend quite some time on a phone and chats with dish employees to settle same 'owned-leased' tugboat more then one time.

I can assure you the only reason your anecdotes on this situation ever turned out in your favor are due to the fact that the ERT agents dealing with you got tired of you and realized just making the charge go away would be easier then trying to figure what your saying :)

Fact of the matter is the OP more then most likely is wrong about his claim of ownership.
The system rarely gets this wrong, and "owned" receivers cant just be switched to "leased" by just any person, nor the system. It has to be manually done by a agent on a high enough level (ERT, EVT, ect.) Even supervisors would have to contact ERT via IM to get it done.

If the OP does not have proof of ownership I promise you OP, the agents you talk to will never go digging for it. Why? Because the customer is always WRONG, we just treat them like there "right"*most of the time*.

OP if you dont have the proof of ownership and you go claiming that you have it I promise you they will call your bluff, and when you fail to provide it your gonna have to BS your way out of it because they will dismiss everything you say after that.
At that point the only choice you have is to pull of a Mr. Smith and keep annoying the ERT department till they just wipe the slate clean, but I promise you if you do that things wont be great for you at Dish in the long run.

Doing stuff like that will lead to short term results but you will end up as a trouble customer/flagged account, returning to Dish will be a PITA and who knows what else they may do.

#24 OFFLINE   osocoloso

osocoloso

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

Actually, like i said earlier - it makes no difference to me. I have no use for the 622, they can have it. It's the attitude that was bothersome.

And I know I am right. I bought it from Dish themselves. I remember clearly when the website suddenly went from "owned" to "leased" after one of their website "redesigns". I called, they told me not to worry that it was a "glitch". I've never had to pay a leased equipment fee for it. I don't care enough to try to dig back and call credit card companies to retrieve old statements to prove that I bought it. They can have it. Less e-waste for me to recycle.

But like I said, it's not about the equipment, it's about their "F**K you, it's ours, give it back" attitude. And about letting other people know, so they're not surprised like I was. I don't understand the hostility/trolling of some people here... Who cares who's read the ToS, who knows more than who, or any of the other childish posts. It's simply a heads up to people thinking about cancelling Dish:

- Make sure you have proof of ownership if you bought anything
- Be prepared to pay an equipment return fee
- Be prepared to forfeit your balance (or try to cancel as late in the billing period as you possibly can)
- Be prepared to send part of your dish to them

That's it... heads up, beware those things are coming your way if you're cancelling. All the bickering in this thread is unnecessary and doesn't benefit anyone in this community.

#25 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

- Be prepared to send part of your dish to them

Actually the one thing Mr. Smith got right was the thing about the LNBF, since you can become a liability for Dish if an agent gets you to go on the roof they always credit non-returns on LNBF's back.

They would like it back, but they like not getting sued by a customer who fell off of a roof due to a dumbass CSR more lol.

#26 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:39 PM

I didn't take the op as being harsh. I have seen a few posts of people who bought their equipment but it shows as being owned by Dish. And while they do ask for the LNB they will accept you can't get to it. The OP may not have known that. If Dish said there was no refund I don't blame someone complaining about that.

#27 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

tired of the flaming, I'll tell you I contacted regular CSR, not EVT, ERT, CIA of that company
and try to read posts about 'oops' switched ownership to dish owned, but I don't recall such posts when happened opposite
very strange one way process, I would tell

#28 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:59 PM

Moderator note... Some posts have been removed. Please do not attack each other, but rather attack the topic. Further personal insults may result in further moderator action.

Thank you for getting back to topic.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

And I know I am right. I bought it from Dish themselves. I remember clearly when the website suddenly went from "owned" to "leased" after one of their website "redesigns". I called, they told me not to worry that it was a "glitch". I've never had to pay a leased equipment fee for it.

Just so you know... the lease rental fee is the same as an additional outlet fee for owned receivers. I forget what they call the fee.

Basically... the first receiver (primary) on your account is free, whether you own or lease... Additional receivers cost additional per receiver, again whether you own or lease.

So... your bill is the same whether you own or lease... thus, the price of your bill is actually not an indicator of owning vs leasing.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

I would dig that CC bills, just for be sure I'm right

#31 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 599 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:23 AM

I found it interesting that when I used Dish mover, they never said or did a thing about the old dish. It still sits intact on my previous residence.

#32 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

@psmith. You dont contact these departments, theres no "ERT" option in the IRV.
And in the case of EVT they generally contact you (these are the guys who handle accounts that have broken there TOS and set up Dish at more then 1 house per account).

@Stewart, its just called a receiver fee :P
@Sregener, its more cost effective for Dish, to leave them behind and potentially piss off future HoA's :P

#33 OFFLINE   Worn

Worn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

Direct wanted my TiVo back years ago and I told them that I owned it. They checked and finally agreed with me. It's nice to keep any decent receiver, especially when you own it! I'd call back and ask for a copy of the contract you signed. That should have all of the equipment that they provided vs. what you bought.

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:40 AM

Direct wanted my TiVo back years ago and I told them that I owned it. They checked and finally agreed with me. It's nice to keep any decent receiver, especially when you own it! I'd call back and ask for a copy of the contract you signed. That should have all of the equipment that they provided vs. what you bought.

That's what I'm telling ...

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

That's what I'm telling ...

Except DISH will never ask for your TiVo back. :rolleyes:

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

and again ... it's the same rules

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

and again ... it's the same rules

Please link to rules. Otherwise we can only read your statements as "this is the way I think it should work".

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

same as your or anyone else

Protected By... spam firewall...And...