Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DISH 722k

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:36 PM

For the last few days my DISH 722k receiver has to be power cycled in the morning. I haven't called DISH Support yet, but I may tomorrow. If anybody has any suggestions I would like to hear them before I call.

Also, it is in an area where heat shouldn't be a problem, in fact, I have a USB powered laptop cooler underneath powered all of the time.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 19 October 2012 - 09:56 PM

how the DVR working/looks if you'll not reboot it ?

#3 OFFLINE   HDlover

HDlover

Godfather

• Registered
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:17 PM

I don't think a laptop cooler does much. Don't know if heat is your problem but is it hot to the touch? I use one of these drawing air thru from up against the left side. http://www.amazon.co...eywords=usb fan Without it my 722k gets hot.

#4 OFFLINE   Jim148

Jim148

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 319 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:35 AM

I installed the replacement 722k yesterday afternoon/evening. This morning my wife told me that she had to power cyckle that one, too, in the morning. Should I just give up on the 722k line and move up to something newer or are they just as problem ridden as the 722k series?

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

I installed the replacement 722k yesterday afternoon/evening. This morning my wife told me that she had to power cyckle that one, too, in the morning. Should I just give up on the 722k line and move up to something newer or are they just as problem ridden as the 722k series?

I have a 722k that has been working flawlessly since I got it months and months ago. If the new(er) replacment is doing the same thing, then it could be environmental (heat) or it might be that for some reason it's not updating overnight.

This latter point is a sheer guess on my part since I have no idea what could happen if I didn't let mine update every night. What do you think, P Smith?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 11:55 AM

It would reboot by internal watchdog in case of hung-up or will act like broken device.
The night reboot (I did set it to my other, day time) is a countermeasure against SW bugs, sloppy code. not really something what should be done each night.

#7 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:30 PM

It would reboot by internal watchdog in case of hung-up or will act like broken device.
The night reboot (I did set it to my other, day time) is a countermeasure against SW bugs, sloppy code. not really something what should be done each night.

But if you don't update automatically every night, you would end up with an obsolete EPG requiring an update session, wouldn't you?
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

Nope.

If you'll monitor EEPG stream [PID 0x0300] you would find: full loading cycle would happen in less then an half hour, new version of the EEPG updating each 4-5-6 hours, a few times per day.
Adding to that: non-DVR devices getting 44hrs EPG without reboots for months, what usually happen by forced FW updates.

#9 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,193 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:36 PM

Thanks, P.

Live and learn. :)
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#10 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

My first 722k worked great for a year...and then the same problem started a couple months ago. After just a few days, it totally failed and had to be replaced. The replacement has been here since and working well---but today it did it (had to cycle on to get it going this morning)

Sure has me holding my breath at this point :(

#11 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:26 AM

Please let me know if you continue to have issues with your 722k. Thanks.

My first 722k worked great for a year...and then the same problem started a couple months ago. After just a few days, it totally failed and had to be replaced. The replacement has been here since and working well---but today it did it (had to cycle on to get it going this morning)

Sure has me holding my breath at this point :(

#12 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Ray-I'm staying positive at this point and just hope it was a transient glitch (of course that was my hope on the old one LOL)

#13 ONLINE   Rduce

Rduce

Legend

• Registered
  • 304 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

I upgraded to a 722K almost 2 years ago and it has been chugging away flawlessly since. Other than some buggy SW updates from time to time. To keep the heat situation down I use this,

http://www.ebay.com/...=item53e2097c02

They are nice and quiet and keep my temps LOW! Even during this summers heat wave my unit never went above 114 degrees and averaged 96.

#14 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Speaking of temps---mine does seem to be running hot. So I've moved it and would like to monitor the temps for a while. Is there some way to reset those counters, or do I just have to wait for enuf time to pass to see if it's improving?

And if that's the case, how long before more current readings should be up?

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:47 PM

there was some inconsistent observations ... so practically you are on your own

#16 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

there was some inconsistent observations ... so practically you are on your own

Thanks...I'll just let some time pass then. It's all good

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

I recall it require a week to see serious change because it's based on history (hours online ?) and modulus of changes today; other way is too technical: remove NVRAM (24LC256 ?) and erase a few bytes where the temp values storing.

#18 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

I recall it require a week to see serious change because it's based on history (hours online ?) and modulus of changes today; other way is too technical: remove NVRAM (24LC256 ?) and erase a few bytes where the temp values storing.

Too techy for me...I'll just wait a week or so

thanks-that gives me an idea how long it might take

#19 OFFLINE   CeeWoo

CeeWoo

Godfather

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

It's been 6 days now since I moved my receiver. The low temp move a lot while it was disconnected during the move and it's still showing that same temp...so I'm 99% certain that the counter has yet to reset (and the previous HI Temp is the same also). But the average temp has dropped 3 degrees (I thought it would be more). Sometime in the next couple days I expect to see all 3 readings change. And if it's not what I want, I think I have a different location that may be better

could be interesting :)

Edited by CeeWoo, 13 November 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#20 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

keep us posting ... perhaps each DVR [FW] has own settings related to intervals of updating the temperature's counters

spam firewall