Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Upgrading HD on fully owned HR34

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   heptech

heptech

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 October 2012 - 10:24 PM

I have searched through some of the forums and have not found an answer yet.

I have a fully owned HR34 and I put a 2TB drive (Hitachi CinemaStar 5K2000 HCS5C2020ALA632) in it that I performed a low level format so it was new again, when it boots up it says:
problem has been deteced in the storage device
this may be a simple initialization error or a critical fault.
please reboot the box. that may fix the problem.
if that does not work call customer service.

Diagnostic code: 14-538

arent you supposed to just put the drive in and have it rebuild the drive? or is there something else needed to be done?
I have not seen anything yet on the forums so I wonder if you may be able to help me out. it would be much appreciated!

Thank you for your time

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 12:23 AM

See if any of the info here helps you ....
http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=167440
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,703 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

first: it's HDD , not HD
second: remove MBR from the Hitachi (Drive Manager would do that by removing all partitions)

#4 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

First, your format may have been the problem. We normally put a bare or even a used HDD with data (not my recommendation) in and let the DVR handle it.

Second, not all HDDs are compatible. I realize this was your first post, and welcome; you are in the right place, and we wish you'd come here before you bought and formatted the Hitachi drive, but, onward and upward. Search this forum for suggestions, of which you will find many terrific ones. The HRs (not sure about the 34) have a long history of working well with the green WD drives. With others, maybe not so much.

Litzdog is a bright guy and a long-time member with a history of providing very helpful info, so start with his link.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall