Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Replacing R15 Receiver with HD

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bonnieb

bonnieb

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I have an R15 DVR attached to an aging Toshiba. Want to upgrade this TV to an HD. This receiver is also used by another TV, via the 'out to TV' coax which goes to an additonal coax jack in the wall behind the set, which I assume is wired to the jack in the other room. If I get a new HD receiver, will I still be able to use this setup to connect it to the other TV?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mcbeevee

mcbeevee

97% Complete

• Registered
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:16 AM

The HD receivers do not have a coax output. If you want to keep feeding the second tv through coax, you would need an RF modulator. You can find them at many places like best buy, radio shack, wal-mart, etc.

Here is an $8 RF modulator from Amazon

:)

#3 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 09:31 AM

Depending on the model of HD receiver/DVR you get, it may or may not have a composite video output (to feed a modulator with). If it does not, then you will also need a component video to composite video, or hdmi to composite video adapter (plus the modulator).

There is also an issue with the HD GUI (menu, list, guide, etc.) not rendering in SD from an HD receiver. So the remote TV will just get a big obnoxious message box on the screen anytime the menu, list or guide is called up on the HD receiver. If you never try to control the receiver from the other room (only watch but don't use a remote), then it will probably still work for you. You can search these forums for more information on this issue, there are several lengthy threads about it.

#4 OFFLINE   bonnieb

bonnieb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Might be an instance where it would be worthwhile to have DTV install, rather than self-install?

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

No, DirecTV won't install the SD feed to the second TV with or without modulator. That's outside the scope of their installations.

One other option to consider would be to add another receiver to your account for the other room. Of course, that's another $6 a month but if it is a much used TV it may be worth it. And, even though it is an SD tv, if you put an HD receiver there you could share in whole-home service at that location.

#6 OFFLINE   bonnieb

bonnieb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Thanks for the help! Am thinking the additional receiver is the easiest answer and best if I am upgrading TV's anyway. Happy Sunday!!

#7 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

A bit of clarity on the HD GUI, it will detect the composit cable connection and pop the your TV or Cables are not HD OSD constantly if the Video line is connected, just like the HDCP error on componate cabling. You can do what your asking just have to start out HD only connections at the receiver and run to converters from there.
The simplest option is get a unit for the room, you can if want just relocate the R15 to the new room no addional hardware fees or install charges cause it's part of the HD upgrade. *monthly receiver fee applies*

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

spam firewall