Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTalk: Has the OTA tuner bug been fixed?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Schaefling

Schaefling

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2004 - 09:08 PM

My 921 has been exhibiting very similar problems to those described by Mark Lamutt in his 12.24.2003 posting about the OTA tuner bug. Last I heard the patch for the OTA tuner bug was still being beta tested. Has this problem been resolved yet or not? After two major crashes trying to get OTA HD channels on my 921 I really don't want to try again until this bug has been resolved.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   DVDDAD

DVDDAD

Legend/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 07:06 AM

Not yet. Just saw a rumor that it was being sent to us this Friday 1/23. Hope it's true, but who knows?
Best regards, Adam Okula
http://www.aokagency.com

#3 OFFLINE   Slordak

Slordak

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 08:23 AM

Whether or not it has been fixed internally, no fix has yet reached our hands. Considering there are at least two dozen distinct bugs which have been spotted by us, the end users, the Dish software folks likely have a list of over 100 defects ranging from huge defects to minor cosmetic items.

#4 OFFLINE   Mike D-CO5

Mike D-CO5

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,099 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:18 AM

It took a full 18 months to get my 721 up to where it runs good consistently. That was with many software updates along the way . I went from L106 to L116 . The receiver now works pretty good and the only feature not on it that was promised is Dish Home and internet service. Don't see internet ever getting here, but we should get Dish Home sometime this year. My point is you might be waiting as long as I did to get the 921 working as well as my 721. So 2 years from now you will probably have a rock solid receiver. Unfortunately for Dish the Hd Directivo will work well from the start and take most of the hd customers away from them. With 2 ota tuners and 2 sat tuners and the same size hard drive this will kill Dish. I would bet you won't see the fixes coming in time for the March release of Directv's hd tivo.

#5 OFFLINE   jsanders

jsanders

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 11:06 AM

It took a full 18 months to get my 721 up to where it runs good consistently. That was with many software updates along the way . I went from L106 to L116 . The receiver now works pretty good and the only feature not on it that was promised is Dish Home and internet service. Don't see internet ever getting here, but we should get Dish Home sometime this year. My point is you might be waiting as long as I did to get the 921 working as well as my 721. So 2 years from now you will probably have a rock solid receiver. Unfortunately for Dish the Hd Directivo will work well from the start and take most of the hd customers away from them. With 2 ota tuners and 2 sat tuners and the same size hard drive this will kill Dish. I would bet you won't see the fixes coming in time for the March release of Directv's hd tivo.

Fortunately, the 921 appears to be based on the 721. If this is the case, then the 921 is starting with a code base that hopefully has all of the fixes of the 721's L116. In fact, the satellite PVR capabilities seem to be pretty good. The serious problems seem to be related to the OTA stuff. Let's hope that this leverage will make the maturation cycle shorter than it was with the 921.

#6 OFFLINE   peterd

peterd

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 12:45 PM

[...] Unfortunately for Dish the Hd Directivo will work well from the start and [...] With 2 ota tuners and 2 sat tuners and the same size hard drive this will kill Dish.

I'll take every opportunity to say this:

Dish Network -

Your only significant differentiator will be DishWire. Turn it on right away!
Peter
(New to this forum, but far from a newbie!) :)

921 Info (so I don't forget it in bug reports) :grin:
SW: L188HECD-N
Boot: 120B
Flash: F051

HR10-250 Info (no bug reports) :D
SW: 3.1.5D-01-2-357
Capacity: 500 GB (63hrs HD)
NIC: Linksys USB100TX

SW64, DISH 300 @148 & DISH 500 w. duals.
119 split off DISH 500, combined with 110 Sat-C LNB on 24" dish and 101 from GainMaster (D* 101 + BEV 91 & 82)

#7 OFFLINE   erikbenz

erikbenz

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 January 2004 - 09:48 PM

My 921 has been exhibiting very similar problems to those described by Mark Lamutt in his 12.24.2003 posting about the OTA tuner bug. Last I heard the patch for the OTA tuner bug was still being beta tested. Has this problem been resolved yet or not? After two major crashes trying to get OTA HD channels on my 921 I really don't want to try again until this bug has been resolved.

As of tonight over the air seems to work pretty good. (New software update)

Erik

#8 OFFLINE   Schaefling

Schaefling

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 January 2004 - 12:23 AM

As of tonight over the air seems to work pretty good. (New software update)

Erik

I noticed that my power light was blinking on and off latethis afternoon for about an hour. Was this the update being downloaded?

Schaefling

Protected By... spam firewall...And...