Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole home DVR, Internet connectivity and Netgear

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bobcpa

bobcpa

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

When the technicians upgraded my home for whole Home DVR service, they did not install the media connection kit because they told me that my combination modem/wireless router, which is a Netgear product, is not compatible with the set up. Before the upgrade, I had no problems accessing Internet services through the Direct TV interface, including On Demand, YouTube, etc. Apparently, the whole home upgrade causes compatibility issues with ANY Netgear modem/router. They told me to replace the unit with ANY modem manufactured by anyone except Netgear.

I have no confidence with any of these technicians/support people to give me good and correct information.

Can anyone confirm that there are, indeed, compatibility issues with Netgear hardware? Is Direct TV trying to work these compatibility issues out, or am I stuck,with having to replace the Netgear?

Thank you.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I personally have not heard of any widespread issues with netgear routers and WHDVR.

#3 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

What you were told is nonsense. I know several folks that use Netgear and have a CCK. There can be occasional problems with DHCP, but that is not limited to Netgear. The solution is setting static IP's.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   themadbear

themadbear

Mentor

• Registered
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:07 PM

I think your techs are ill-informed!:nono2:

I have an at&t U-verse modem connected to a Netgear WNR3500L wireless router, which is connected directly to the ethernet port of an HR34-700. 2 HR24s are connected via Whole Home to the HR34, and I have no problems with internet connectivity to any of them - VOD, Pandora, TV Apps - they all work fine.

One factor may be that my network doesn't use DHCP - it's turned off in the router, and all network devices are assigned static IP addresses.

You should be able to find the info you need here to get everything up and running properly. My personal experience with the techs is that they admit they aren't really trained that thoroughly in networking, and they just leave that part of the setup to me, after I tell them how to configure things.

Good luck!

#5 OFFLINE   gpg

gpg

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,718 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 20 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

I use a Netgear router for Whole Home and I have no problems. I do use static IP addresses, but I don't know if that's really necessary.
HR24-200,HR23-700,HR21-200, HR21-100, HR34-700,
Sony KDS-R50XBR1,HDMI, LG 37LH40,HDMI Vizio 390-A1,HDMI,Sony KDL-40NX711, HDMI, Vizio VO320E, HDMI, SWM16 with DECA,
Sony STR-DG1000 AV Receiver optical cable connection for HR24-200, GenieGo

#6 OFFLINE   sbtyper

sbtyper

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

I also have a WNDR3700 Netgear stand alone router with a SB6121 Motorola Surfboard modem and the combination of both work flawlessly. I am not that versed with HR-34/Whole Home DVR do you even need to touch the Network settings in order to install the Whole Home DVR? Honestly I do not use the DVR for any type of Internet content I have other means of acquiring my digital media so is it possible to have the Whole-Room DVR setup with the DVR's actually not being connected to the Internet?

#7 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:04 AM

...is it possible to have the Whole-Room DVR setup with the DVR's actually not being connected to the Internet?...

Yes, you can use WH without being connected to the internet, or your LAN.
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#8 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

I have a Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router that is connected to my HR34 and all my other receivers are using the internal Deca. I'm not having any problems.

JACK,

#9 OFFLINE   Meglos

Meglos

Mentor

• Registered
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:29 PM

I've been using a NetGear WNDR4500 here (great router, BTW) succesfully with whole home for quite some time with no problems. Lots of network devices (including three DirecTV DVRs), most (including the DVRs) of which use DHCP-issued IP addresses, but some of which use static IP addresses.

#10 OFFLINE   pduh

pduh

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:52 PM

I have Netgear and I got the whole home service last weekend, and I got no problem at all.

#11 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,869 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

I have a Linksys at home but I've hooked up friends with Netgear routers with no issues at all. Something else is up.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#12 OFFLINE   bobcpa

bobcpa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:45 PM

A new set of technicians are coming over to my house this afternoon to connect the CCK based upon everyone's experience with Netgear modems.

My wife is at home dealing with all of this. Hopefully, everything will work out well...if not, I may be sleeping on the couch tonight.:)

#13 OFFLINE   Lindsey-Star

Lindsey-Star

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:49 PM

A new set of technicians are coming over to my house this afternoon to connect the CCK based upon everyone's experience with Netgear modems.

My wife is at home dealing with all of this. Hopefully, everything will work out well...if not, I may be sleeping on the couch tonight.:)

Do you know what type of technician is coming to check it out?
Opinions expressed by me in my postings are exactly that, opinions.
My opinions in no way reflect those of any company or service.

#14 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Good luck! Not that you should need it; I've been rolling along happily with my Netgear N600 for well over a year.

Here's how my wired devices look:

IP Address Device Name MAC Address
1 192.168.1.8 NOMAD0005A2 Numbersxxx.
2 192.168.1.11 0005CD2C9FE0 Numbersxxx.
3 192.168.1.24 -- Numbersxxx.
4 192.168.1.25 -- Numbersxxx.
5 192.168.1.34 -- Numbersxxx.

The last three are DIRECTV receivers. (!)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#15 OFFLINE   smitbret

smitbret

Legend

• Registered
  • 130 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

What Modem are you using?

The tech may have been correct about the issue but pointing at the wrong device. There is a known issue with certain models of 2-Wire Modems that prevents HDDVRs from connecting reliably to the internet. I have seen them in use most commonly with AT&T. The official statement from DirecTV is that these modems have faulty firmware and the customer needs to contact the ISP for a different model.

#16 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,768 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

What Modem are you using?

The tech may have been correct about the issue but pointing at the wrong device. There is a known issue with certain models of 2-Wire Modems that prevents HDDVRs from connecting reliably to the internet. I have seen them in use most commonly with AT&T. The official statement from DirecTV is that these modems have faulty firmware and the customer needs to contact the ISP for a different model.

Having used a few 2Wires without any issues, which model are you referring to?
A.K.A VOS

#17 OFFLINE   bobcpa

bobcpa

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

Technician came to the house today. It took him literally 20 min to hook up the CCK. It is working like a charm.

I guess not all techs are created equal. :lol:

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,929 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Technician came to the house today. It took him literally 20 min to hook up the CCK. It is working like a charm.

I guess not all techs are created equal. :lol:

True. It took me three appointments and techs to get mine setup. And the third tech was going to set up a fourth appointment.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...