Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The CW in HD

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,156 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:28 AM

My guide conveniently tells me which of the CW programs are in HD, which of course I can't get since the idiot station in Salinas, CA that carries the CW locally won't go HD. Welcome to 1948 thank you very much.

Their prime time shows are all in color, are they not? That would make it 1966, not 1948 ;) If their daytime shows are in color, that would make it 1972.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:24 AM

I grew up poor and stayed poor. None of those dates work for me.

#23 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:56 AM

Anyone know when D* plans to add the CW HD for the Tallahassee market? I recently found out that comcast now carries it locally here in HD. Thanks!
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#24 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:49 AM

Anyone know when D* plans to add the CW HD for the Tallahassee market? I recently found out that comcast now carries it locally here in HD. Thanks!

I answered your questions on the locals thread...

#25 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:55 AM

My guide conveniently tells me which of the CW programs are in HD, which of course I can't get since the idiot station in Salinas, CA that carries the CW locally won't go HD. Welcome to 1948 thank you very much.

You can contact Zap2it.com about the issue. I did the same recently with an SD only channel carried by DirecTV. I also did the same for some of my local channels whose newscasts are available in HD, and some of the locals who does not offer syndicated programming in HD. Just remember, if the station is that way OTA, to report the antenna version, and not just the DirecTV version.

My local ABC affiliate via DirecTV has HD tags as well, even though DirecTV only carries it in SD at this time. I'm leaving it be for the moment though, because my hope is that the HD tags will inspire DirecTV subscribers to call in and actually request the HD feed. :rolleyes:

#26 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:25 AM

I learned this is the exact problem I have in Boise, last month 35-1 started broadcasting the CW in HD OTA but my HR20 won't see it, I have tried all manner of resetting and rescanning but don't get it. It was really annoying to see that there were many other digital channels in the area that aren't on the D* box either. Is this ever going to change in a firmware update? If there's no guide data, that's OK but the box has to at least let us watch the channel.

#27 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

I learned this is the exact problem I have in Boise, last month 35-1 started broadcasting the CW in HD OTA but my HR20 won't see it, I have tried all manner of resetting and rescanning but don't get it. It was really annoying to see that there were many other digital channels in the area that aren't on the D* box either. Is this ever going to change in a firmware update? If there's no guide data, that's OK but the box has to at least let us watch the channel.

It's not a firmware issue. The only thing DirecTV could do via firmware is possibly to let you scan ala the HR34.

It's a database issue. There are apparently so many sub-channels, that DirecTV's database of OTA channels is so large, that they really aren't adding any more.

If it's a larger network that is on a primary channel available OTA in HD, and DirecTV does not carry it in HD, I'd complain to DirecTV. :)

#28 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:42 AM

It's not a firmware issue. The only thing DirecTV could do via firmware is possibly to let you scan ala the HR34.

That is all I ask for, I realize there are a ton of OTA subchannels in the country these days and D* might not be able to keep on top of them all in the guide. But it annoys me to no end that a box like the HR20 that says it supports OTA viewing has handicapped it so badly, it should scan for all channels and just say No Guide Data available or something like that for the channels not in D*'s database. Does the HR34 do this?

#29 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:51 AM

That is all I ask for, I realize there are a ton of OTA subchannels in the country these days and D* might not be able to keep on top of them all in the guide. But it annoys me to no end that a box like the HR20 that says it supports OTA viewing has handicapped it so badly, it should scan for all channels and just say No Guide Data available or something like that for the channels not in D*'s database. Does the HR34 do this?

Yes...

The HR34 scans and adds all channels it picks up.

I use this ability to get Guide data for the Tallahassee, FL and Columbus, GA DMAs via the zip code functions (ala the HR2x), and allow the HR34 to scan my market's channels since DirecTV carries all the main ones in HD, and two of the sub-channels (ABC/The CW).

My market is lucky... the only sub-channel we are missing is The CW, which is currently carried by DirecTV in it's current SD form. Once the channel goes HD... it'll suck if DirecTV doesn't carry it in it's HD form. My neighboring market of Columbus, GA is only missing one channel, and DirecTV carries it in it's current SD form. My neighboring market of Tallahassee, FL is missing three sub-channels though, so they're not doing as well...

#30 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:57 PM

I can understand missing a few sub-channels, but I really just hope they can allow OTA tuning for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and CW in HD for every market that offers them. Meaning as markets have each of those available, zap2it adds it to their database, and D* adds it to the appropriate zip codes and it becomes tunable on all their units.

#31 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

YES. 46.1 is in glorious HD. Normally I wouldn't care but I kind of like "Arrow".

Actually, the "HD" feed that DirecTV carries for CW Reno is not in HD. It is a stretched SD picture with the same poor quality it always had. The only difference now is that it takes up far more space on the hard drive! It is terrible! I wish they'd go back to their old SD signal! At least you could pillar box the 480P picture.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#32 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

A couple of months ago our local "The CW" channel (sub-channel to the CBS affiliate) went HD. It's in HD OTA, but DirecTV hasn't yet upgraded their version to HD. Not a problem for me since my antenna can receive it. So I guess this reply is for infomation only.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#33 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

I can understand missing a few sub-channels, but I really just hope they can allow OTA tuning for ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS, and CW in HD for every market that offers them. Meaning as markets have each of those available, zap2it adds it to their database, and D* adds it to the appropriate zip codes and it becomes tunable on all their units.

I think there should be a point to make sure that ALL primary channels are carried, as well as focus on sub-channels for the bigger networks like you mentioned above.

#34 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

I think there should be a point to make sure that ALL primary channels are carried, as well as focus on sub-channels for the bigger networks like you mentioned above.

I agree to a point, but some markets like LA have like 40+ stations, guide space runs out fast with markets like that...make sure the top 200 DMA's can get the basic 6 I listed then go from there to see what they have space for as far as guide data goes.

#35 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:05 AM

I can see DirecTV has a "reason" not to carry it but why won't they allow the AM21 to tune it? Wasn't that the purpose of the AM21? To allow viewing of local programming not available to them.

#36 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:49 AM

I agree to a point, but some markets like LA have like 40+ stations, guide space runs out fast with markets like that...make sure the top 200 DMA's can get the basic 6 I listed then go from there to see what they have space for as far as guide data goes.

Yes, but of those 40+ stations, how many of them have sub-channels already listed?!?!

I'd still like DirecTV to offer Guide data for the main primary channels as well as the major networks via the satellite, and Guide data for the sub-channels via broadband/phone lines.

I can see DirecTV has a "reason" not to carry it but why won't they allow the AM21 to tune it? Wasn't that the purpose of the AM21? To allow viewing of local programming not available to them.

I think DirecTV got taken by surprise by the amount of sub-channels stations would offer. It was a bigger strain on their resources than they were expecting.

Since the channel you were referring to is a primary channel, a semi-major network, and is available in HD OTA, I'd complain to DirecTV about it.

#37 OFFLINE   mark h

mark h

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:42 PM

schneid, email them I did it yesterday complaining about no CW HD & if they would carry 46.1. Here's what they said.

"Thank you for writing.

I understand your inquiry about gettng CW channel 46 in HD.

While we are unable to comment on when we are going to carry CW in HD, we are
always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best
possible TV experience. In addition, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV
management. While DIRECTV Management can not follow up with each customer
individually, rest assured every request, suggestion and inquiry from our most
important customers is reviewed to determine what changes should be considered.

Whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so
keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web
site at directv.com/pr.

We appreciate your Loyalty.

Sincerely,

Sherwin S - 100403271" :shrug:

But do anyway won't hurt.

mark

#38 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:46 PM

schneid, email them I did it yesterday complaining about no CW HD & if they would carry 46.1. Here's what they said.

"Thank you for writing.

I understand your inquiry about gettng CW channel 46 in HD.

While we are unable to comment on when we are going to carry CW in HD, we are
always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best
possible TV experience. In addition, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV
management. While DIRECTV Management can not follow up with each customer
individually, rest assured every request, suggestion and inquiry from our most
important customers is reviewed to determine what changes should be considered.

Whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so
keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web
site at directv.com/pr.

We appreciate your Loyalty.

Sincerely,

Sherwin S - 100403271" :shrug:

But do anyway won't hurt.

mark

Sounds like the form letter they send out. They thought you were referring to carrying the local via satellite. You need to stress to them that you would at least like to be able to view the channel via your AM21.

#39 OFFLINE   mark h

mark h

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

Sounds like the form letter they send out. They thought you were referring to carrying the local via satellite. You need to stress to them that you would at least like to be able to view the channel via your AM21.

Good thought.. Another email.

mark

#40 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,946 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

Good thought.. Another email.

Contacting technical support may be the best route to take.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...