Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The CW in HD

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   schneid

schneid

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Although they never answered my emails, CW 46 Reno appears to now be in HD. As for the AM21, the Guide seems to indicate it has been mapped to 27-2.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Although they never answered my emails, CW 46 Reno appears to now be in HD. As for the AM21, the Guide seems to indicate it has been mapped to 27-2.

If your boxes are networked, be nice to see the text string return from an IP query for data on that channel (KRNS-46 HD isn't it?), since its not indicated in the latest TPN map release.

Procedure:

http://www.dbstalk.c...568#post3090568

http://www.dbstalk.c...596#post3090596

#43 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

DirecTV is providing it in HD?

#44 OFFLINE   mark h

mark h

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:35 AM

I'll check later in the day. Nothing in HD now guide says " Steve W.... ?" in HD but checked OTA & its not.

mark

#45 OFFLINE   KyL416

KyL416

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,801 posts
  • LocationTobyhanna, PA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

I'll check later in the day. Nothing in HD now guide says " Steve W.... ?" in HD but checked OTA & its not.

Some stations still don't have the ability to air syndicated programming in HD, which isn't reflected by the guide, try checking during prime time. And also check DirecTV's feed, many stations that originate on SD subchannels over the air provide an HD feed to cable and satellite providers via fiber.

#46 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

Until a few months ago (when I reported it), our DirecTV provided PBS didn't have HD tags even though it was in HD. Our local ABC via DirecTV has had HD tags on it for months even though DirecTV only started offering it in HD this past Wednesday (it's SD OTA).

The program you're referring to is available in HD, but as stated below:

Some stations still don't have the ability to air syndicated programming in HD, which isn't reflected by the guide, try checking during prime time.

Yeah, I contacted Tribune about how my local FOX affiliate only provides network programming in HD, and not their syndicated programming. Tribune just goes by whether or not the content is available in HD for stations to send... not whether or not the stations provide it as such unless the stations actually make an effort to provide accurate data to Tribune.

#47 OFFLINE   mark h

mark h

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:38 PM

Just checked DirecTV CW still SD. OTA is HD. I don't know about the AM21 havn't tried scanning it.

mark

#48 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

like month ago Erie, PA got CW in hd because the company who supplied CW when totally hd

#49 ONLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,910 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:27 AM

Just checked DirecTV CW still SD. OTA is HD. I don't know about the AM21 havn't tried scanning it.

mark

OK, "Schneid" earlier (post #41) must have been referring to OTA, not the DIRECTV supplied feed.

Didn't think the TPN maps would have missed a new local HD channel launch. Unless of course RENO were an MPEG-4 only locals market so the SD to HD channel transition would not be reflected in the maps since both versions are MPEG-4.

#50 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,555 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

Once the master CW feed was broadcast in 1080i this past June, the network is requiring their affiliates to also broadcast in HD.

See this section in Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia....he_cw#The_CW_HD

My local affiliate is in 720p on a subchannel with our CBS station.
DircTV does have it in their data base for the AM21.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#51 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:03 PM

Once the master CW feed was broadcast in 1080i this past June, the network is requiring their affiliates to also broadcast in HD.

See this section in Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia....he_cw#The_CW_HD

My local affiliate is in 720p on a subchannel with our CBS station.
DircTV does have it in their data base for the AM21.

It doesn't say "requiring"... just "requesting."

When I contacted my local affiliate a few months ago, I was told they'd be offering HD in 2013. I intend on contacting them in a few weeks to see if I can get a better timeframe...

I cannot receive their signal OTA, so I'm totally dependent on DirecTV adding them in HD. With DirecTV FINALLY getting around to adding my local ABC in HD recently, my hope is that the local equipment has been upgraded to allow them to offer it as soon as it's available. :)

I will also continue to hold out hope that DirecTV will follow Comcast and offer CW HD VOD. :sure:

spam firewall