Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network and Voom Reach Settlement

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

Bitter Party of One.

Well when you take away some peoples sole purpose for posting in a thread it hurts.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 ONLINE   yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveT
Given all the leverage they now had, I'm surprised Cablevision settled for "only" $700M. Given what all the analysts covering the case were saying, they might have actually gotten the full $2.4B.

A bird in hand is worth...

#63 OFFLINE   Nightmare

Nightmare

Legend

• Registered
  • 112 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

Well when you take away some peoples sole purpose for posting in a thread it hurts.

LOL

I'd love to see the "Actual" program list of what he watches :grin:
VIP722
Samsung HL-P5685W "Captain Kirk" DLP (only 720p)

Nightmare

#64 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:09 PM

Looks like AMC might have been hurting for ad revenue:

Dish accounted for 13 percent of AMC’s subscriber base, AMC said. The number of subscribers can determine what advertisers and broadcasters pay the cable network company

http://www.bloomberg...ontract-1-.html
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#65 OFFLINE   russ9

russ9

Godfather

• Registered
  • 385 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:11 PM

I feel deader already!
Dishing it up since 4-4-1997
vip722K hooked up to a bunch of stuff. Like a bigger TV.

Soon to be on Dish network, explained by a BBC spokesman

#66 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 590 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:26 PM

I never watch AMC, but I'm glad it's back anyway. I firmly believe that the more customers Dish has, the better that is for all Dish customers.

#67 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 915 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

Congratulations to the subscribers of Dish Network for finally seeing the return of AMC to the lineup!

#68 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:35 PM

The weird part here?

Not that Rainbow settled for "only" $700 million... and certainly not the return of the current AMC channels.

The weird part is... the wireless licenses given TO Dish.

The court case was certainly tilting big time towards Rainbow... I'm sure AMC wanted the settlement to keep their ad revenue and to get their subscriber revenue back... and Rainbow surely wanted some money as well...

But... how often do you see a settlement in a case that was clearly tilting more one way than the other... and not only does Dish get to save some face and get channels back... but they also literally profit somehow from getting these licenses?

A $700 million + longterm AMC contract is a clear win for Rainbow/AMC... and a bird in the hand applies vs waiting for a court verdict that may yield more money but most certainly would mean no carriage of channels on Dish.

But... that Cablevision had to still give something back to Dish?

Oh, and don't forget... those Voom channels weren't carried by anyone else... so Dish didn't lose customers who went elsewhere to see them... and Dish saved that money for each year since breaking the contract... so how much savings was that? And applying that against the $700 million, did this really end up costing Dish anything on the bottom line considering what they got in return?

Honestly... even with the short-term angst... you kind of have to look at this as a HUGE win for Dish.

It's like being in a gunfight... and you're out of bullets... and the other guy can shoot you and take your stuff... but somehow you convince him NOT to shoot you, and instead give YOU some of HIS stuff on top of it.

Weird.

FYI... the "put it back in standby trick" worked for one of my receivers to get updated EPG data so I could set timers tonight for Walking Dead, Talking Dead, and Comic Book Men.

All I missed (with the Walking Dead repeat tonight) would be last week's Talking Dead + last week's Comic Book Men... so all-in-all, a good end to a weekend here and I'll have a bunch of TV to watch later tonight after football!

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#69 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

^^ Yeah, where did the wireless stuff come from? How did that even get into the mix? That's one of the first things I noticed in the OP.

Almost sounds like Dish got the sweeter deal.

#70 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 557 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:57 PM

AXS on 362. AMC back up.

Talked yesterday to a high end corporate lawyer from the global company I used to be a director at. He was the guy who prepped me when I had to testify at a $1.6 Billion suit (that our arrogant CEO refused to admit we were wrong on.) He's been following this suit, and he is also a bit surprised that they didn't hold out for more from Dish. He said it was very, very clear that Dish was going to lose, and lose in a way that showed that they lied, they destroyed evidence, and more, and he felt that they would end up paying the full amount.

His take is that this gives the Voom folks their money quickly, no appeals. He also said don't discount things in the settlement that we may not see. Without seeing actual cash value of the airway licenses, he couldn't comment on that (he's digging in to figure that piece out.)

Bottom line, he said: When court is cut off short as soon as damning evidence is produced, you know who is dictating the terms at the table.

#71 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:58 PM

Guide on my Hopper has info up until 9pm. I can record the 8pm showing of TWD. Any tips on how to handle DVRing the 9pm showing since there is no guide data? I am sure it will be rerun at some point but I would like to DVR it tonight.
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#72 ONLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:01 PM

Any tips on how to handle DVRing the 9pm showing since there is no guide data?

Manual timer start/stop.

Or can't you do that on a 'Roo box?

#73 OFFLINE   StringFellow

StringFellow

AllStar

• Registered
  • 101 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:02 PM

Manual timer start/stop.

Or can't you do that on a 'Roo box?

Can't do that on a Hopper as far as I am aware??
Equipment: 2 Hopper, 1 Joey [soon to be 2 Joeys]

#74 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:05 PM

The only other related networks, unmentioned in this press release, is MSG and MSG+

I'm really surprised MSG wasn't included in the settlement deal.

#75 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Guide on my Hopper has info up until 9pm. I can record the 8pm showing of TWD. Any tips on how to handle DVRing the 9pm showing since there is no guide data? I am sure it will be rerun at some point but I would like to DVR it tonight.

For the VIP receivers a 'check switch' will force another download of the guide. Don't know if that works for the Hopper but it might be worth a try.

#76 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

Hot Damn, Billy Bob!!!! :) No more threats from me! :)

Scott
--
Fly RC Helicopters!
Team ALeeS RC

#77 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:39 PM

I also was wondering how much Dish didn't pay by not carrying Voom against the 620 million paid now.

#78 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:41 PM

Can you just add the 8pm showing and extend the end by 1 hour?

#79 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,541 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:42 PM

For the VIP receivers a 'check switch' will force another download of the guide. Don't know if that works for the Hopper but it might be worth a try.

As I alluded to earlier... 922 receivers don't allow you to force an EPG update... and since the Hopper is built-off the same firmware, I can only assume the same to be true.

I'm also assuming the put-the-receiver-in-standby-for-a-bit trick will work the same for a Hopper as it does for a 922.

Basically you have to wake the receiver and make sure you're seeing the new channel in the EPG... then put the receiver back in standby.

I usually go it for 30 minutes at least... and as long as nothing is being recorded while in standby, that seems to allow the receiver to do some longer-term EPG updates for new uplinks like this.

It works for me anyway.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#80 OFFLINE   jsk

jsk

Icon

• Registered
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

I am getting AMC and getting AXS and only have AT250. AXS/HDNET was part of AT250 and the BB package before.

Edited by jsk, 21 October 2012 - 05:44 PM.
Missing space

Dish Player DVR 722K with OTA module connected to the Eastern Arc

spam firewall