Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network and Voom Reach Settlement

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

I never watch AMC, but I'm glad it's back anyway. I firmly believe that the more customers Dish has, the better that is for all Dish customers.

Absolutely awesome news! And a great (unselfish) post!! :D

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#82 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

^^ Yeah, where did the wireless stuff come from? How did that even get into the mix? That's one of the first things I noticed in the OP.

Almost sounds like Dish got the sweeter deal.

Dish wanted streaming/wireless licenses to go along with the Blockbuster acquisition. Hopefully the licenses can put those plans back in place.

#83 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:53 PM

Can you just add the 8pm showing and extend the end by 1 hour?

That should work ... or one could wait a few more minutes until 9pm is in the guide and set one then. (The guide will show present and next program on the channel until the longer guide downloads.)

#84 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 05:54 PM

I am getting AMC and getting AXS and only have AT250. AXS/HDNET was part of AT250 and the BB package before.

Both channels are in "free preview" ... all subscribers should be receiving both.

#85 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:12 PM

I suppose AMC will revert back to AT200 and above. But it would be a nice gain for AMC (and me) if it stayed at the AT120 level.:sure:

EDIT: Well the following is on the Dish web site, so I guess it will revert back to its normal tiers:

Posted Image

Edited by phrelin, 21 October 2012 - 06:19 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#86 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

That is an interesting aspect... AMC had been asking for more money... perhaps part of the settlement was better placement in a lower tier... which would mean more money to AMC without necessarily increasing the cost per channel.

We'll have to wait and see what happens after the free preview ends to be certain.

Now we can cross our fingers and see if Dish and Disney can play nice "soon"! :)

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#87 OFFLINE   Mojo Jojo

Mojo Jojo

Legend

• Registered
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

AXS is also on 362 (for the Blockbuster package). It should remain there.

AXS (SD and HD) on channel 362 is in AT120 and above as well as Dish Latino Dos and above.

#88 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

AXS is also on 362 (for the Blockbuster package). It should remain there.

AXS (SD and HD) on channel 362 is in AT120 and above as well as Dish Latino Dos and above.

I was speaking of channel location. The channel has been in free preview most of the year.
I hope the channel stays in 120+.

#89 OFFLINE   jagowar

jagowar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 08:26 PM

That is an interesting aspect... AMC had been asking for more money... perhaps part of the settlement was better placement in a lower tier... which would mean more money to AMC without necessarily increasing the cost per channel.

We'll have to wait and see what happens after the free preview ends to be certain.

Now we can cross our fingers and see if Dish and Disney can play nice "soon"! :)

I hope it does as well.... I could see it from a ratings perspective too. Based on their original programming choices recently AMC seems to want their channel to go more mainstream. Keeping it on the higher priced packages is doing nothing but limiting those ratings.

#90 OFFLINE   dennispap

dennispap

Icon

• Registered
  • 652 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:25 PM

Dear Dennis,
DISH is pleased to announce that we have reached a multi-year agreement with AMC Networks, which has restored AMC on channel 131.
All customers will be able to enjoy AMC in free preview on channel 131, and for fans of The Walking Dead, the first episode of the season will be available on-demand for a limited time*. Please check your channel guide for a complete listing.
We appreciate your patience during this time and thank you for being a valued DISH customer.
Sincerely,
DISH
*Access On-Demand by selecting the Menu button on your DISH remote. Must be connected to broadband internet.

#91 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:43 PM

FYI...

For anyone interested in last week's Comic Book Men episode that we missed while Dish didn't have AMC... it comes on this Tuesday morning at 9:00am EDT.

Check your EPG and set a timer for it if you want to catch up with that show.

Now I'm down to just having missed last week's Talking Dead... and if I'm going to miss something, that's the thing to miss since it is a discussion of last week's episode... and I'll be watching that + tonight's new episode + Tonight's Talking Dead so last week's Talking Dead will be less missed going forward even though I would have watched.

#92 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

Great to see this settled. I wonder how many jumped shipped early and paid for the honor to do so. I really thought there would be no settlement but the timing couldn't be better.

#93 OFFLINE   georule

georule

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:40 PM

Congrats to AMC fans who are DISH subscribers. I'm sure this is a great relief.
LR(non-CE): HR44, Mits 65C9; Office/FR (CE): HR22-100 + AM21, Mits 60737 + Mits 3DA1 3D adapter. Spare bedroom (non-CE), HR23. Genie WHDVR, wireless networking (yay!)

#94 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 21 October 2012 - 11:40 PM

For those that might be interested, AMC's full press release reads:

Cablevision Systems Corporation (NYSE: CVC) and AMC Networks (NASDAQ: AMCX) today announced that they have settled their litigation with DISH Network LLC (NASDAQ: DISH) related to VOOM HD Holdings LLC. The lawsuit, VOOM HD Holdings LLC v. EchoStar Satellite LLC, was filed in the Supreme Court of the State of New York, County of New York.

The settlement agreements include the following components:

DISH Network pays a cash settlement of $700 million to Cablevision and AMC Networks, $80 million of which is in consideration for the purchase of Cablevision’s multichannel video and data distribution service (MVDDS) licenses in 45 metropolitan areas in the U.S.;

DISH Network enters into a long-term distribution agreement with AMC Networks to carry AMC, IFC, Sundance Channel and WE tv, and with The Madison Square Garden Company to carry Fuse on its satellite service; and

DISH also conveys its 20-percent membership interest in VOOM HD to Rainbow Programming Holdings LLC, such that all of the cash settlement remains with Cablevision and AMC Networks.

Promptly after payment of the cash settlement is received, the parties will file a joint stipulation to dismiss the lawsuit with prejudice. The allocation of the settlement proceeds between Cablevision and AMC Networks will be determined pursuant to the existing agreement relating to this litigation between the two companies.

Said Josh Sapan, President and CEO, AMC Networks: “We are glad to partner again with DISH Network and are delighted to bring back our popular channels and programming to their customers.”

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#95 OFFLINE   jrseh

jrseh

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:21 AM

Dear Dennis,
DISH is pleased to announce that we have reached a multi-year agreement with AMC Networks, which has restored AMC on channel 131.
All customers will be able to enjoy AMC in free preview on channel 131, and for fans of The Walking Dead, the first episode of the season will be available on-demand for a limited time*. Please check your channel guide for a complete listing.
We appreciate your patience during this time and thank you for being a valued DISH customer.
Sincerely,
DISH
*Access On-Demand by selecting the Menu button on your DISH remote. Must be connected to broadband internet.

I hadn't looked at this forum on Sunday and hadn't checked email until around 10:15 pm EDT, where I found the above email from Dish (received at 9:47 pm). Quickly checked and found 131 now carrying AMC HD and 362 carrying AXS HD. Channel guide for 131 only good for the next hour, but found, online, that TWD second episode of the new season was being shown again at midnight, so I set that up to record, and it did. I also got the Talking Dead that followed. I already saw the first episode thanks to AMC streaming it online. I assume the EPG will refresh and include all the changes overnight. Very glad this has been resolved and AMC is back, just in time for Halloween (AMC is usually the first place I look on a Friday night for horror stuff - hope that continues).

All in all I had to watch three episodes of Breaking Bad through Amazon on ROKU. I watched the first episode online when AMC streamed it for free, then I watched episodes 2, 3, 4, and 5 when I visited my daughter in Seattle in August (she had recorded them). I did have to purchase episodes 6, 7, and 8, but Amazon had some sort of promotion that credited me $5, so the three episodes in HD cost me a grand total of $3.97. I can deal with that.

John

John

Edited by jrseh, 22 October 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#96 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,523 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:06 AM

This part of AMC's release is interesting to me:

"DISH also conveys its 20-percent membership interest in VOOM HD to Rainbow Programming Holdings LLC, such that all of the cash settlement remains with Cablevision and AMC Networks."

I had forgotten that Dish had some ownership of Voom... which means 20% of the suit was Dish suing itself :)

So... without that clause in there, 20% of the cash settlement would have gone back to Dish... which is important... because the larger cash settlement Rainbow pushed/held out for... the less likely Charlie probably was to give up that stake...

So consider... IF Rainbow demanded 1 billion... but Charlie/Dish would get 20% of that... then Dish would only pay 800 million to Rainbow.

So... that surely figured into the negotiations to fix a lower number IF Dish agreed to divest itself of its share in the process.

#97 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:42 AM

If AMC/Cablevision (and their fans) want to feel better about the deal they can divide it into three parts.
1) Carriage of the four channels (plus one dropped in 2011),
2) Unloading Cablevision's MVDDS licenses for $80 million (which might be easier to sell than use for a company like Cablevision),
3) The big cash prize of $620 million (which would be $775 million if DISH got a 20% cut).

Hopefully DISH got a good deal on the carriage and isn't overpaying ... but AMC needs subscribers (not just viewers) to keep their ad rates higher. I do not believe DISH is overpaying for the MVDDS licenses ... hopefully they will put them to good use. And the big cash prize is a fraction of what DISH was facing. I think they did fine.

Both sides can walk away with a win.

#98 OFFLINE   rexa

rexa

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:43 AM

Received today...

Sincerely,

DISH
* _____*

My problem:
NO BREAKING BAD!
(I liked VOOM channels too way back when.)

I remain pissed and unsatisfied. I am locked in with a receiver upgrade or would already be a gone Dish customer.

F*** Dish.
They don't care about me. Proved it by killing my favorite show for their legal battle. I will drop them as soon as my untimely upgrade doesn't cost me to leave.

#99 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:58 AM

Anyone have the ratings for AXS.TV over the past couple months vs what they were doing prior to being moved down to 131?

I hope they keep HDNETmovies as part of my sub package...I've been enjoying the commercial free movies.

Off topic...any word on Fox Movies getting HD?
Dish Network 211k with EHD, AT250 with HDforLIFE
Eastern ARC DMA on 1000.4
Panasonic TC-P55GT50
LG 42'' 1080p LCD, Denon IN-COMMAND AVR-2112CI

#100 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:00 AM

:lol:You might as well go buy a case of Tums because I don't think this will play out on the 'nice' side.

spam firewall