Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network and Voom Reach Settlement

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   jagowar

jagowar

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 03:40 PM

actually just looked on facebook.... looks like it will be on AT120 and up.

DISH @Dee Shellman Smith & Bonnie Bullock, the packages that include the AMC channel are America's Top 120, America's Top 200, America's Top 250, and America's everything Pack. The channel is currently under a free preview for customer who do not subscribe to a qualifying package that carries the channel. -Kim E.

The above was in the comments of the amc is back post.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 915 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

Must burn Charlie's *** that it ended this way.. Deleted emails and bullying people in court all but sealed E*'s fate.. Very Happy!!! for you DISH subs that got your channels back..Disputes have been very personal and nasty lately...Look at how bad the Viacom dispute was for D* it took Jon Stewart to rip them over that stance b4 people came back to the table I believe..

Congrats Dish subs!!! welcome back!!
to Charlie...i cannot curse because my comment will get deleted...so fill in the blanks..

#123 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Must burn Charlie's *** that it ended this way.. Deleted emails and bullying people in court all but sealed E*'s fate..

to Charlie...i cannot curse because my comment will get deleted...so fill in the blanks..

Fate? Ummm, it's looking like Dish came out way ahead.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#124 OFFLINE   Worn

Worn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 05:50 PM

Well, I timed my call to dish perfect! I called yesterday morning to complain about not getting AMC. I received a $10 credit for 12 months. I saw an agreement might be in the works and figured I'd better make the call. iTunes even credited my season pass for The Walking Dead. Everything is good again today!

#125 OFFLINE   Hunter844

Hunter844

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

I'm just parsing but does it make sense that Dish figured they would lose but choose to tell Cablevision that 700 million cash is better than 2.4 billion of nothing? Couldn't dish drag an appeal out for years and years before paying up?
Dish Network 211k with EHD, AT250 with HDforLIFE
Eastern ARC DMA on 1000.4
Panasonic TC-P55GT50
LG 42'' 1080p LCD, Denon IN-COMMAND AVR-2112CI

#126 OFFLINE   alex000

alex000

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 06:18 PM

Formerly HDNET, has some excellent concert series in HD and some pretty great HD original programing.

If Dish moves this back to the BB@H I will definitely miss it lol

If it's on BB@Home, it'll just be on a HD subscription, will have to double check on this as it would be on Dish America or higher and AT120 with HD and higher :)

Edited by alex000, 22 October 2012 - 06:24 PM.
Incomplete info :D

#127 OFFLINE   fudpucker

fudpucker

Godfather

• Registered
  • 449 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:12 PM

Fate? Ummm, it's looking like Dish came out way ahead.

How is having to pay someone $700 million coming out "way ahead?" It may not be over a billion, but it's still $700 million out of their pockets. I doubt putting AMC on the lower tier packages was Charlie's idea either?

Dish lost. And a lot of money moved from them to the other guys. And AMC likely got what they wanted and more. That's ain't winning, if you're Dish.

#128 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:18 PM

I'm happy that I'll be able to watch Sundance Channel in HD in November!

Any idea what tier? Formerly Sundance was only available in Blockbuster package, and I really can’t justify adding a package for one channel.

#129 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:00 PM

Must burn Charlie's *** that it ended this way.. Deleted emails and bullying people in court all but sealed E*'s fate.. Very Happy!!! for you DISH subs that got your channels back..Disputes have been very personal and nasty lately...Look at how bad the Viacom dispute was for D* it took Jon Stewart to rip them over that stance b4 people came back to the table I believe..

Congrats Dish subs!!! welcome back!!

Did you actually read the settlement? You will be unhappy to know Dish made out ok with this, even got some spectrum in the deal.

#130 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:04 PM

I'm happy that I'll be able to watch Sundance Channel in HD in November!

You are that certain it will be?

#131 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:05 PM

actually just looked on facebook.... looks like it will be on AT120 and up.

The above was in the comments of the amc is back post.

It is listed now on the Dish website as being part of the top120.

#132 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:54 PM

How is having to pay someone $700 million coming out "way ahead?" It may not be over a billion, but it's still $700 million out of their pockets. I doubt putting AMC on the lower tier packages was Charlie's idea either?

Dish lost. And a lot of money moved from them to the other guys. And AMC likely got what they wanted and more. That's ain't winning, if you're Dish.

Think about it...

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but I believe Dish dropped Voom HD back in May of 2008... that means nearly 4.5 years of NOT paying Voom HD for those channels.

The speculation has Dish paying somewhere between $100-$200 million per year for those Voom HD channels... so the past 4.5 years of Voom HD would have cost Dish $450-$900 million!

Also... I believe they had something like a 15 year contract that was broken... so you could be talking another $900 million to $1.8 billion that Dish would still be locked into paying to Voom HD.

Now...

Dish paid $700 million to settle the lawsuit AND got some wireless licenses thrown their way!

The AMC extended new contract is a non-issue because had the trial not existed, AMC probably gets a new contract anyway... and Dish is paying for AMC programming that they get to sell to customers so any increase in rates there gets passed to Dish customers next time they adjust rates.

So... on the low side, Dish really owed Voom HD $450-$900 million anyway... but possibly as much as $1.35 to $2.7 billion!

So ask yourself that question again... and remember that the evidence this last couple of weeks REALLY started to go south for a Dish win... I expect Rainbow/AMC could have held out for a better settlement... and I won't complain... but man, given the state of the info coming out of the court the last week or so, this smells like a HUGE win for Dish when you tally everything up.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#133 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:51 AM

If it's on BB@Home, it'll just be on a HD subscription, will have to double check on this as it would be on Dish America or higher and AT120 with HD and higher :)

Incorrect.

BB@Home and a subscription to HD programming do not yield the same programming.

#134 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:57 AM

So ask yourself that question again... and remember that the evidence this last couple of weeks REALLY started to go south for a Dish win... I expect Rainbow/AMC could have held out for a better settlement... and I won't complain... but man, given the state of the info coming out of the court the last week or so, this smells like a HUGE win for Dish when you tally everything up.

Potential settlements/jury awards aside, as far as the fees and carriage deals, this came out as nearly a wash for both sides. No one really won or lost.

Analysts tend to agree:

ISI Group analyst Vijay Jayant said for Dish, the settlement was "better than expected." He explained: "I think investors thought it was going to be $1 billion. It's generally good for all." Asked before the market open whether Dish's stock should rise on Monday, he said: "It was up a lot last week in anticipation."

Credit Suisse analyst Stefan Anninger also highlighted the deal as a "positive outcome for Dish...given that Dish’s weak legal position in the case and AMC-Cablevision’s claim could have amounted to about $3 billion in cash with interest." He maintained his "outperform" rating and $38 price target, saying most of the news should be priced into the stock. "All in all, however, we think Dish shares will like [the] news," he said.

http://www.hollywood...ttlement-381510

That article also says both stocks hit new 52 week highs.

Dish got the favorable edge though in the wireless spectrum if they can make it pay off in the future.

#135 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:38 AM

Potential settlements/jury awards aside, as far as the fees and carriage deals, this came out as nearly a wash for both sides. No one really won or lost.

Analysts tend to agree:

http://www.hollywood...ttlement-381510

That article also says both stocks hit new 52 week highs.

Dish got the favorable edge though in the wireless spectrum if they can make it pay off in the future.

I agree. Dish somehow came out of court with almost getting a good deal.

#136 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 06:02 AM

I wonder if there was a skeleton in the Dolans closet that was about get dragged out. Something that made them suddenly say, "Whoa, wait a minute here ..... Time to make this all go away."

#137 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:23 AM

I can't believe some of you are spinning this like Dish is so smart in doing what they did like they're the good guys. The company broke their contract, lied about emails, destroyed evidence, etc. Talk about a scumbag way to do business.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#138 OFFLINE   sregener

sregener

Godfather

• Registered
  • 583 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:40 AM

I'm just parsing but does it make sense that Dish figured they would lose but choose to tell Cablevision that 700 million cash is better than 2.4 billion of nothing? Couldn't dish drag an appeal out for years and years before paying up?

Yes, but then AMC would not get carriage on Dish during that time. Moving it to AT120 means that they not only get the 12% of their viewers back that they lost on July 1st, they gain even more customers. In the short run, the cash may seem like a better deal, but viewer fees plus advertising revenues are much, much greater.

#139 OFFLINE   Voyager6

Voyager6

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I can't believe some of you are spinning this like Dish is so smart in doing what they did like they're the good guys. The company broke their contract, lied about emails, destroyed evidence, etc. Talk about a scumbag way to do business.

That was how Cablevison's lawyer portrayed Dish. Now, it was Dish's turn to trash Cablevison and show us how Cablevison betrayed Dish. We will never know what other information Dish had on Cablevision. However, there must of been enough dirt there to convince Cablevision to agree to a settlement. Also, the Dolan's had to stop the bleeding of ad revenue from AMC along with the carriage revenue.
Equipment: SD105 modified for the 500+, D500 for 61.5, DPP44, 722K, 622, 211K, 211 (2)
E* subscriber since 1997

#140 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:41 AM

It seems like a win win situation to me. Dish now has even more wireless spectrum to add to what they have been buying up. They avoided a potential 2.7Billion fee for 700 Million and got the wireless as part of it.

Wall street is now happy with both corporations.

My question is how will this effect other upcoming negotiations for Dish and for AMC.
Will Others take a tougher stance with AMC?
Will Dish decide to take a even tougher stance with Disney?
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

spam firewall