Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Network and Voom Reach Settlement

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I can't believe some of you are spinning this like Dish is so smart in doing what they did like they're the good guys. The company broke their contract, lied about emails, destroyed evidence, etc. Talk about a scumbag way to do business.

How about 100m$ to show new content then running back to back reruns on a dozen or so channels?
Thats pretty shady too :P

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   joyandjerry

joyandjerry

AllStar

• Registered
  • 59 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

It's got to be killing some people that AMC is back. Some people took pleasure in others not having it just because they don't watch it. Putting it down putting people down that watch TWD.

Good for AMC and Dish getting this done finally! Ha ha to the haters who said it wouldn't happen!

:goodjob: Couldn't agree more! The more Dish or DTV has to offer, the better for all subscribers.

It never ceases to amaze me how opinionated people can be. . . that a show or station is "lame", etc. b/c it is not their particular area of interest. This is why we have hundreds of stations. :lol:

What is to be gained by putting down anothers interest?

I'm just glad I "hung in there" and didn't switch to DTV. There is a lot on our DVR stored, and Dish gave me credits for some AMC programs that I watch. (Being an honest person, I did not request credits for the show I don't watch.) We also got some monthly discounts for a year, and the premiums for half for 6 months. Jerry and I have had AEP for eight years, so they wanted to retain us.

For those who cannot stream at home, and was not aware of this until Monday, AMC is running the first two eps starting 7:00 PM Sunday.

AMC would have lost nearly $100 million in ad revenue yearly by losing Dish. Carriage can only help their ratings.

Thanks to all for the great reports and "conversations" about this issue the last few months. :D
JOY

Walking a fine line between intellectual curiosity and information overload!

#143 OFFLINE   dakeeney

dakeeney

Legend

• Registered
  • 177 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:19 PM

It seems like a win win situation to me. Dish now has even more wireless spectrum to add to what they have been buying up. They avoided a potential 2.7Billion fee for 700 Million and got the wireless as part of it.

Wall street is now happy with both corporations.

My question is how will this effect other upcoming negotiations for Dish and for AMC.
Will Others take a tougher stance with AMC?
Will Dish decide to take a even tougher stance with Disney?

I see a nasty fight coming between Dish and Disney.

#144 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:45 PM

It may be interesting for sure.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#145 OFFLINE   Reaper

Reaper

Godfather

• Registered
  • 519 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:10 PM

I ordered Dish last night. I would have ordered it in the summer if not for Dish's dispute with AMC.

I have FiOS TV, which I LOVE - but I'm in Frontier territory and not Verizon so it is an end of life product here with no new technology improvements or HD adds. Too bad.

I'm looking forward to having the Hopper! :)

#146 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

Anyone see how much the "wireless spectrum" portion of the settlement is worth?

Anyone care to guess?

Seems like bandwidth is a highly desirable thing these days.;)

Edited by satcrazy, 23 October 2012 - 02:16 PM.

#147 OFFLINE   ATARI

ATARI

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Anyone see how much the "wireless spectrum" portion of the settlement is worth?

Anyone care to guess?

Seems like bandwidth is a highly desirable thing theses days.;)

This is what makes it a long term win for Dish.

#148 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

I can't believe some of you are spinning this like Dish is so smart in doing what they did like they're the good guys. The company broke their contract, lied about emails, destroyed evidence, etc. Talk about a scumbag way to do business.

I have never seen anything like it. It's like Dish is a family member or something. I can understand being loyal but it's still a media company. People always tend to make excuses to make "their" side look better.

Some people on here are just doing it because again.... their sole purpose for posting in this thread is gone. They put down a the channel and the people that watch it. The sad thing is they claim to not care about the situation and never watch AMC. So why would they act so childish?? I think some of us here know why.

#149 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:03 PM

I have never seen anything like it. It's like Dish is a family member or something. I can understand being loyal but it's still a media company. People always tend to make excuses to make "their" side look better.

Some people on here are just doing it because again.... their sole purpose for posting in this thread is gone. They put down a the channel and the people that watch it. The sad thing is they claim to not care about the situation and never watch AMC. So why would they act so childish?? I think some of us here know why.

As if this post was in anyway shape or form mature right?
Try reading your own posts before you sling the "childish" insult around lol.

#150 OFFLINE   DoyleS

DoyleS

Icon

• Registered
  • 990 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

+1 Never quite understood why those that don't watch the channel even bothered to post on this thread.

Its not like rates would drop if a channel is dropped. More likely we would have a slight increase next year to offset all the new programming and legal costs.
Receivers= 722K, 722, 211K,
Dishes=Dish1000.2
Sling Adapter

#151 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

As if this post was in anyway shape or form mature right?
Try reading your own posts before you sling the "childish" insult around lol.

What I posted is fact! When someone calls people mental patients for watching TWD.... that's childish. When people post in a thread just to put down the channel and people that watch it.... that's childish. Especially when they have declared time and time again they don't care about the channel or watch it.

Like I said I stated fact! So lol all you want!! I'm sure others will agree that actually watch the channel!

#152 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:12 PM

What I posted is fact! When someone calls people mental patients for watching TWD.... that's childish. When people post in a thread just to put down the channel and people that watch it.... that's childish. Especially when they have declared time and time again they don't care about the channel or watch it.

Like I said I stated fact! So lol all you want!! I'm sure others will agree that actually watch the channel!

lol I just re-read it and with the extra bit of context you added in this most recent post I know exactly who you are talking about.

With that said I have to redact my statement and have to definitely agree with your post lol.

#153 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:02 PM

I can't believe some of you are spinning this like Dish is so smart in doing what they did like they're the good guys.

Considering the other side was spinning DISH into the ground last week because it appeared this would be a great big loss isn't it fair? Somehow DISH took a $2.4B potential loss and cut it down to $620 million.

Normally that would be considered a "win".

Some people on here are just doing it because again.... their sole purpose for posting in this thread is gone.

There have been people in the old thread that posted just to bash DISH ... any time anything goes wrong for DISH they seem to find the thread and pile on. I wish people wouldn't do that.

This is a good thread to be happy that the lawsuit is done ... that the channels are returning and both Cablevision and DISH are happy with the outcome. If they can get along can't we all get along?

#154 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,793 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

Considering the other side was spinning DISH into the ground last week because it appeared this would be a great big loss isn't it fair? Somehow DISH took a $2.4B potential loss and cut it down to $620 million.

It's a win, but look what it took. They're still guilty. I guess if you win by any means necessary without ethics, who cares?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#155 OFFLINE   ehilbert1

ehilbert1

Godfather

• Registered
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 04:52 PM

lol I just re-read it and with the extra bit of context you added in this most recent post I know exactly who you are talking about.

With that said I have to redact my statement and have to definitely agree with your post lol.

I'm glad we see eye to eye on that lol. I was thinking to myself oh man not Inkosaurus.... Glad all is well!

There have been people in the old thread that posted just to bash DISH ... any time anything goes wrong for DISH they seem to find the thread and pile on. I wish people wouldn't do that.

This is a good thread to be happy that the lawsuit is done ... that the channels are returning and both Cablevision and DISH are happy with the outcome. If they can get along can't we all get along?

I feel the same way man. People just need to grow up. They use their online persona to do what they don't have the grapefruits to do in real life. In real life their can be consequences for putting people down.

#156 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,420 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:06 PM

It's a win, but look what it took. They're still guilty. I guess if you win by any means necessary without ethics, who cares?

You're talking apples vs oranges here.

Look at the evolution of my own posts for an example.

In the beginning, I thought Dish was right and within their rights to do what they did years ago with Voom. I still think Voom wasn't trying to grow their channels... but as the new evidence was coming to light the last couple of weeks, it looked fairly damning to Dish... and I posted as much last week.

It looked for all the world to me like Rainbow was going to win this case and get a large settlement given the last week's worth of testimony and the uncovering of Dish-deleted emails that appeared to support the Voom view and squash the Dish view of what was allowed.

So... when we then see such a quick settlement for frankly a half or so of what I would have thought Dish would have had to pay...

It doesn't make Dish right... it still looks like Dish was in the wrong... but clearly to most people Dish still "won" the war here... because the payout was way less than probably would have come in a verdict, and it didn't look like Dish had any legs to stand on anymore.

So, I don't see anyone spinning that Dish was right... just that Dish seems to have won, because Rainbow blinked and settled what was looking more and more like a "sure thing" court victory over Dish.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#157 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:19 PM

It looked for all the world to me like Rainbow was going to win this case and get a large settlement

So... when we then see such a quick settlement for frankly a half or so of what I would have thought Dish would have had to pay...

because the payout was way less than probably would have come in a verdict, and it didn't look like Dish had any legs to stand on anymore.

because Rainbow blinked and settled what was looking more and more like a "sure thing" court victory over Dish.

Which again makes me wonder what didn't AMC/Rainbow want to come out in court? What was in their internal emails?
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#158 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

Sometimes you just wonder how Charlie does it. They get Distants taken away, yet come out with Distants via AAD, and because AAD is not the carrier for your locals, even more people are qualified to get Distants with Dish. (Of which I am one)

Dish is accused of wrong doing in the VOOM case, from all accounts is about to have their head handed to them, and yet a settlement of a very reasonable amount, especially considering all the years of not having to pay for VOOM services. But the Pièce de résistance, not just getting spectrum, but...

http://www.fiercecab...2#ixzz2A9KRSUDf

They now are the biggest holder of it.....

Moral of the story - don't bet against Charlie.

#159 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,206 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

You've got to know when to hold them ...

#160 OFFLINE   satcrazy

satcrazy

Icon

• Registered
  • 714 posts
  • LocationGreat lakes, NW Pa.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:42 PM

Sometimes you just wonder how Charlie does it. They get Distants taken away, yet come out with Distants via AAD, and because AAD is not the carrier for your locals, even more people are qualified to get Distants with Dish. (Of which I am one)

Dish is accused of wrong doing in the VOOM case, from all accounts is about to have their head handed to them, and yet a settlement of a very reasonable amount, especially considering all the years of not having to pay for VOOM services. But the Pièce de résistance, not just getting spectrum, but...

http://www.fiercecab...2#ixzz2A9KRSUDf

They now are the biggest holder of it.....

Moral of the story - don't bet against Charlie.

40$ for 50mbps?
sign me up!

thanks for that link. [ even tho I'll never see that happen where I live.:(]

Figured that broadband deal was more than just the cherry on Ergen's cake;)

spam firewall