Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dead HR-23 700

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jam99

jam99

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

Hi all.

Well low and behold after a decent 4 year run it seems that my HR23-700 receiver has died. I was watching a recorded show and it just shut itself off and won't power back on no matter what I try (RBR, different power cord, different power outlet etc.). It makes a faint clicking noise when plugged in but I unplugged it after reading about smoke coming from others. Pissed that I'm not going to be able to recover my recordings, as from what I read, I'm SOL.
I will be calling in to get the leased receiver replaced ( I understand this will cost me $20 ) and I was curious as to what I should expect with the process?
Will DirecTV be sending me a recovery kit for this model?
What model should I expect back? I currently don't use the BBC's as my receiver doesn't need them. Will DirecTV know this when sending my replacement?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

From what I read, it is still a crap shoot as to which model you will get as a replacement,
they will send you a recovery kit,
they usually only send a receiver, no BBCs, no remote control.
Good luck.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,488 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:18 AM

If you don't have a SWM system, I'd make sure to mention the BBC's when you call.

#4 OFFLINE   bakers12

bakers12

What? Me hurry?

• Registered
  • 1,628 posts
  • LocationChicago - W. Suburbs

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

You usually send your current receiver back in the same box the new receiver arrived in. There's a pre-addressed shipping label enclosed.

Make sure you get a receipt when you drop off the old receiver (at the post office or wherever). DirecTV's return system has lost several receivers and you will be charged $100's if you can't prove you returned it.

House #1:
HR20-700 -> LG 42LH40 LCD (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21N -> Slingbox Solo (component)
and AverTV HD DVR C027 card on Lenovo desktop (HDMI)
HR23-700, AM21 -> Samsung HL-R4266W (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

House #2:
HR34-700 ->
Insignia NS-55L260A13 Rev E (HDMI)
C31-700 -> Sansui SLED1980E (HDMI)
AU9 SWM5

More details are available here.

#5 OFFLINE   jam99

jam99

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Do I need to send back the remote? I don't use it as I have a harmony but I like having it just in case my harmony acts up.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

No, they do not take used remotes back.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:33 PM

As Jimmie stated the replacment unit will be just that a replacement unit. No remote no BBC's. If BBC's are needed you already have them and you already have a remote no need to send replacements in most cases. As for the model you will get a HR21-HR23 model unit in all probability. All remanufactured HR2x have a 500 Gig drive so you wont lose space.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#8 OFFLINE   Struff

Struff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

they will send you a recovery kit,

Pardon my ignorance here but is that a recovery kit to grab recordings off the dead unit? My HR23-700 died today and I was wondering about getting recordings off of it. CSR told me I could use an external USB drive, but if the unit won't power up, that doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

Edited by Struff, 17 January 2013 - 11:17 PM.

#9 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:54 AM

Pardon my ignorance here but is that a recovery kit to grab recordings off the dead unit? My HR23-700 died today and I was wondering about getting recordings off of it. CSR told me I could use an external USB drive, but if the unit won't power up, that doesn't seem right to me.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

If it's dead -It's too late for that-The recovery Kit is a pre-paid box to ship the unit back to D* so your account will not be billed for the full price of the unit.

Usb port is for attaching AM21 to the unit only.

They will ship whatever unit is next on top of the refub's only way to get a Hr24 replacement is schedule a service appointment and likely the Tech will have a newer model on his truck.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#10 OFFLINE   Struff

Struff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

If it's dead -It's too late for that-The recovery Kit is a pre-paid box to ship the unit back to D* so your account will not be billed for the full price of the unit.

Usb port is for attaching AM21 to the unit only.

They will ship whatever unit is next on top of the refub's only way to get a Hr24 replacement is schedule a service appointment and likely the Tech will have a newer model on his truck.

I knew they must have been wrong about that USB idea. So there isn't any way that I can take out this hard drive and put it into an external hard drive enclosure and access my stuff? Or even put it into an older receiver I have in my junk pile which work perfectly but were left behind when they used to do free upgrades every year?

I wound up scheduling a tech for Monday just because it seemed like the quicker option. The CSR kept telling me 3-5 business days but she couldn't tell me when it would ship or if I could pay for Saturday delivery. So I got a supervisor who also told me 3-5 days but that it would be shipping out of a distribution center about 30 miles from my house so I could get it sooner. But this was at 10pm last night (Thursday) so unless they were going to ship it out that late at night, or let me pay extra for the FedEx Saturday service, it would be at least Monday at the very earliest anyway. I got so annoyed with the lack of options so I scheduled the tech visit.

I know the location of the company that does the service calls around here (I usually have them come once a year to realign my dish after winds kick it around so I've talked with a lot of the guys over the past ten years) and I told the supervisor I would be willing to go there and pick up a new unit so he gave me an Activity Number to use when I call them. I am not holding my breath on that but I figure it's worth a phone call to the tech guys to see what they say. If not, Monday is still better than the 3-5 business days. :mad:

I gotta say though, that in my ten years as a customer, this is the only time I've been ticked off by them. They used to let me buy replacement units at Best Buy and credit my bill but they no longer do that. So there was never any problem in the past.

#11 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

The recording attached to the Drive are Attached to the HR's Mother board (meaning) even if you take the drive out and put it in another box the recording will not work or be able to be viewed.

That is just the way it is, A service call will get you a newer unit rather than a say a Hr21 or whatever is next on the drop ship list.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#12 OFFLINE   Struff

Struff

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:47 AM

The recording attached to the Drive are Attached to the HR's Mother board (meaning) even if you take the drive out and put it in another box the recording will not work or be able to be viewed.

Oh wow. So even if I put it into another HR23-700, I am still out of luck? Ugh. I got too lazy with my DVD recorder over the past year or so, so there's a lot of stuff I am going to miss :(

#13 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,247 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

Oh wow. So even if I put it into another HR23-700, I am still out of luck? Ugh. I got too lazy with my DVD recorder over the past year or so, so there's a lot of stuff I am going to miss :(

Yup, SOL. Recordings are tied to a specific DVR, so even if you had an external drive with recordings, you couldn't move that external drive to a different DVR.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

spam firewall