Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

What type of rain gear is best?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:27 PM

That may sound like a stupid question, but I'm new to installing, summer is over, and working in the rain is inevitable. I'm a painting contractor, transitioning over to this field, or at least supplementing my income with it, in this slow economy, but anyway...never really "worked" in the rain. I have a heavy Carhartt rain suit that I use when I pressure wash a house, but it's thick and cumbersome, but good enough for pressure washing. I know it's not ideal for this type of work.

I'm sure many of you have tried different things to find what works best, so I'm hoping for suggestions. I'm assuming there is good lightweight gear out there that doesn't hinder work/movement, so any suggestions greatly appreciated. I'm just north of the SF bay area, in California, FWIW.

Thanks in advance!

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

Try to work inside while it rains. If it is just light rain then just a regular rain suit works to keep you dry. If it is heavy rain you might as well go home if it is raining all day.

#3 OFFLINE   Soulweeper

Soulweeper

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 953 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:37 PM

Try to work inside while it rains. If it is just light rain then just a regular rain suit works to keep you dry. If it is heavy rain you might as well go home if it is raining all day.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Not that I'm afraid to get wet, but at some point, it seems that it would be senseless to try and do an install in a downpour, but then I'm new to this, so have no idea where most guys draw the line.

Plus, I just started doing installs for Viasat (WildBlue), and there isn't a whole lot to once you get inside. One cable, and a modem. Once inside, with nothing going wrong, it takes a half hour at the most.

Edited by Soulweeper, 22 October 2012 - 02:06 PM.

DIRECTV since '97
HR44-500 (Leased)
HR24-200 (Owned)
HR24-200 (Owned/spare)

Samsung HLP5063

#4 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,557 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Not that I'm afraid to get wet, but at some point, it seems that it would be senseless to try and do an install in a downpour, but then I'm new to this, so have no idea where most guys draw the line.

Maybe the type of rain gear that golfers wear would work?
Light weight and allows them to swing the club.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#5 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

I always used a mid priced poncho. The cheap ones will rip.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#6 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:13 PM

Plus, I just started doing installs for Viasat (WildBlue), and there isn't a whole lot to once you get inside. One cable, and a modem. Once inside, with nothing going wrong, it takes a half hour at the most.

You will not pass QOI check in the rain (heavy) anyway. Go home:lol:

#7 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,152 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:39 PM

I have found that being totally naked is a big help, because that way one doesn't have clothing made to be much heavier because of being soaked by the rain.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#8 OFFLINE   dsw2112

dsw2112

Always Searching

• Registered
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

I have found that being totally naked is a big help, because that way one doesn't have clothing made to be much heavier because of being soaked by the rain.

I hope you don't live near me :lol:
SL3-Slimline to SWM16 - DECA
HR34-700, HR24-500, & HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   Jodean

Jodean

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:44 AM

im kinda liking the directv 4in 1 jacket, works great, repels water like gortex
Dish -- 722k, 722, 612, 512, 510

Directv -- HR34, HR24, 2 H25's, 2 H24's