Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DirecTV2PC on Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,341 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:44 PM

A couple of times, I've had to downgrade video drivers on Win7 to keep Directv2PC working.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 05 November 2012 - 07:29 AM

My issue is similar. I think the problem may have started when I updated my video card driver a few months ago. Most likely, when you upgraded to Win 8, you also updated your video driver. Just curious, does your laptop have ATI graphics?

No, just Intel graphics.

In the original install the test software complained about the video, but the software worked in spite of it.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#23 OFFLINE   nino2469

nino2469

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

I had it working on windows 8 with an nvidia card. I installed my ati card and now it will not work. I keep getting an error and the program closes out. I think there may be an ATI driver issue.

#24 OFFLINE   Hoffer

Hoffer

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I have 2 Nvidia cards in SLI in my desktop. Never had an issue with DirecTV2PC on Windows 7 or 8. I have dual monitors and always have the application running on my second monitor. Free to do whatever I want on the first monitor.

#25 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I had never had any trouble with it until I upgraded to 64-bit...also running sli before and now just a really beefy card with a second card just for PhysX, but I also just used the newest drivers from nvidia's website when I recently upgraded...I may go back a few revisions and see if that magically fixes it.

#26 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,341 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:28 PM

I've had to downgrade several times on an nvidia GEForce card to keep DTV2PC running.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#27 OFFLINE   canesice

canesice

AllStar

• Registered
  • 71 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

I installed windows 8 pro last friday on my 2008 gateway desktop.
Installed directv2pc today, installed with no issues, and up and running first time.

So I think its down to individual HW on whether or not it will function..

#28 OFFLINE   PeterOne

PeterOne

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

The software started working on my Win 8 Pro after a reboot. AV is OK, but I do not see recordings in folders. Is it a known issue?

#29 OFFLINE   Steveb_77

Steveb_77

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

I downloaded the updated version, but can't find it anywhere, not on my desktop or when I search. Its very strange.

#30 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I installed windows 8 pro last friday on my 2008 gateway desktop.
Installed directv2pc today, installed with no issues, and up and running first time.

So I think its down to individual HW on whether or not it will function..

After several months of D2PC not working under Win7 (audio, but no video), I upgraded to Win8 yesterday. Now, everything works fine.

I'm not sure if Win8 is using the AMD Catalyst driver that was already installed or just a generic AMD driver. I'm not a gamer, so I don't need the Catalyst drivers.

I imagine that this might work for a lot of people. A clean install of Win7 would probably also do the trick, since I know that it was working fine (with the Catalyst drivers) up until a few months ago.

We might be blaming the video drivers when in fact it might be a Windows issue. I know that I had a bunch of problems with Win7 a few months ago and finally tracked it down to excessive CPU usage by the Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver. During my troubleshooting period, I may have changed any number of things (including video drivers) that might cause playback issues.
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#31 OFFLINE   PHL

PHL

Legend

• Registered
  • 131 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

The software started working on my Win 8 Pro after a reboot. AV is OK, but I do not see recordings in folders. Is it a known issue?

This is not meant to be a definitive answer, but in my research on this issue I do not recall this being an issue. Maybe the particular HRxx is not set to use folders?
HR34 Living Room
HR24-500 Office
HR24-500 Bedroom
Whole Home DVR enabled :)

#32 OFFLINE   PeterOne

PeterOne

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:01 PM

My DVR, HR34, is set up to use folders, but none of the folders and recordings in folders are present in the PC UI. Recordings outside of folders are present and could be played back.

spam firewall