Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

AM21 not compatible with HR34, according to DTV

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

I am confused. Are we saying that BOTH the AM21 and AM21n are not supported?

If true how do I get to watch my local sub channels like METV MyNetwork TV and local weather?

Do we have anything in writing from Directv on what is support?
"We need more power Scotty" Kirk

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:07 PM

The DTV policies says that HR34's don't support AM21/21N...which is false because I am watching one right now...not sure why it says that
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#23 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:40 PM

Have they said they will support it in the future? I get Two DMAs with the OTA tuner so its important to me and others I am sure.

#24 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,256 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:10 PM

I think enough folks here have reported that it works fine. Assuming a proper antenna and cabling installation.

#25 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,700 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:13 PM

I think enough folks here have reported that it works fine. Assuming a proper antenna and cabling installation.

Plus that the HR34 actually SCANS for OTA which none of the others do.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,501 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Plus that the HR34 actually SCANS for OTA which none of the others do.

Maybe that's why they say its not compatible :)

#27 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

When my HR34 was installed I had a AM21 hooked up to a HR21. The tech saw it and said what is that??? I told him and he said he had never seen one before. I just moved it after he left. It works fine.

#28 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

I wonder if it is not supported because a NEW model is coming out for the HR34

Kind of like when the new AM21n came out of the newer models that had a different power cord on it. same model just different cord plug.
Better yet, maybe a 5 tuner model will come out to match it.

#29 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

I am confused. Are we saying that BOTH the AM21 and AM21n are not supported?

It's not a matter of "support." The AM21[n] works with the HR34---period. In fact, with the added ability to pseudo-scan, the AM21[n] works better with the HR34 than it does with any other DIRECTV DVR. How much "support" do you need?

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#30 OFFLINE   scottchez

scottchez

Icon

• Registered
  • 931 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

With out official support directv reserves the right to remove the function at any time in a future update. That is why having it writing that they support it is important.
If they do remove it and someone calls they would just say it was never supported.

#31 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:13 PM

With out official support directv reserves the right to remove the function at any time in a future update. That is why having it writing that they support it is important.
If they do remove it and someone calls they would just say it was never supported.

Well considering the AM21/AM21n only has ONE function, they'd basically turn it into a doorstop, and I'd expect my $50 back.

#32 OFFLINE   TXD16

TXD16

Icon

• Registered
  • 874 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:05 PM

Who cares what DIRECTV "officially" supports or not? If the function works, it works, and the AM21 works with the HR34. In any event, how many times has an "unsupported" function all of a sudden stopped working? Right, none.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." - Ayn Rand

#33 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,906 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:52 PM

I wonder if it is not supported because a NEW model is coming out for the HR34

Kind of like when the new AM21n came out of the newer models that had a different power cord on it. same model just different cord plug.
Better yet, maybe a 5 tuner model will come out to match it.

You are reading too much into this. Someone misspoke; the AM21 is still supported.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#34 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:02 AM

My guess is DirecTV just hasn't updated their system to show that it supports it yet. The HD receivers supported the AM21 for a few months before DirecTV finally updated their system to say that they worked together, I'm thinking this is the same thing.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#35 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:46 PM

You are reading too much into this. Someone misspoke; the AM21 is still supported.

I called DirecTV this morning to order the new HR-34 but cancelled the order after the CSR told me I would not be able to connect my AM21 to the HR-34.... She said the HR-34 only has one coaxial input in the back, not 2, and thus I would only be able to use that input for SAT. IN, thus preventing the AM21 coaxial from being connected..... She even went as far as pulling up on her computer the photo layout of the back of the HR-34 to confirm what she was saying.....

Is she right about only one coaxial input (on the HR-34) preventing the AM21 from being connected ?

Instead of arguing with her, I figured I'd come here and find out what is really going on.... If you guys confirm that the the CSR is wrong I will then call back and place the order (for the HR-34) without worrying about losing my AM21.... Thanks !

#36 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,986 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

I called DirecTV this morning to order the new HR-34 but cancelled the order after the CSR told me I would not be able to connect my AM21 to the HR-34.... She said the HR-34 only has one coaxial input in the back, not 2, and thus I would only be able to use that input for SAT. IN, thus preventing the AM21 coaxial from being connected..... She even went as far as pulling up on her computer the photo layout of the back of the HR-34 to confirm what she was saying.....

Is she right about only one coaxial input (on the HR-34) preventing the AM21 from being connected ?

Instead of arguing with her, I figured I'd come here and find out what is really going on.... If you guys confirm that the the CSR is wrong I will then call back and place the order (for the HR-34) without worrying about losing my AM21.... Thanks !

What she failed to understand is the AM-21 connects to the receiver via USB, so it has nothing to do with the coax connector count what so ever.

BTW don't tell my HR34 it won't work with my AM-21, or it might stop. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#37 OFFLINE   usnret

usnret

Icon

• Registered
  • 587 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:36 AM

To bad the CSR didn't go one step further and pull up a photo of the 21 too. He/she could have then seen that it connected via USB. If you get the same one when you call back, you might suggest that...
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

#38 OFFLINE   BigRedFan

BigRedFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Great news !... Thank you for clearing this up ... I will order the HR34 tonight... Can't wait to have the OTA channels scanning feature available for the first time on my AM21....

#39 OFFLINE   fluffybear

fluffybear

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,225 posts
  • LocationPeachtree City, GA.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:59 PM

Great news !... Thank you for clearing this up ... I will order the HR34 tonight... Can't wait to have the OTA channels scanning feature available for the first time on my AM21....

While the HR34 does scan, if the station is not listed in the DirecTV database you will not get an accurate program listing. What you will see in the guide is a large block of "Regular Programming".
Some claim they have been able to do manual records on these channels but I personally have not been successful..

Proud DirecTV customer since July, 1994

My Q4 2014 Set-Up

#40 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,264 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:45 PM

While the HR34 does scan, if the station is not listed in the DirecTV database you will not get an accurate program listing. What you will see in the guide is a large block of "Regular Programming".
Some claim they have been able to do manual records on these channels but I personally have not been successful..

"Regular Schedule" actually. ;)

Nor does the time bar move when tuned to such channels. But remains all the way left at the beginning point in time when you first tuned to the channel.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...