Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Homeland

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,836 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:35 PM

SHOWTIME® ORDERS SEASON THREE OF "HOMELAND"

Network Greenlights Third Season of Its Emmy® and Golden Globe® Award-Winning Series - Season Two Premiere Delivered 5.2 Million Viewers During Its First Week of Availability

. . . .

SOURCE

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:52 PM

Good news.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#3 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,151 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:57 PM

Love this show.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:43 AM

I have not watched any of season 2 yet, how has it been so far?

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#5 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

I have not watched any of season 2 yet, how has it been so far?

Engrossing. If you thought season one was good ...
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#6 OFFLINE   John Strk

John Strk

Legend

• Registered
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

Fantastic news although I'm not surprised. It's one of the best shows on TV. Season 2 is great so far!!
DirecTV Customer Since 2007

#7 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,778 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

Last season I recorded all of Season 1 before watching it, in case the show failed mostly, but then once I sat down and watched it I didn't want to stop. Now I'm recording Season 2 and will wait for it to complete before I watch as well. I'm sure that I'll handle Season 3 the same way.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#8 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,901 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 02:06 PM

Last season I recorded all of Season 1 before watching it, in case the show failed mostly, but then once I sat down and watched it I didn't want to stop. Now I'm recording Season 2 and will wait for it to complete before I watch as well. I'm sure that I'll handle Season 3 the same way.

I'm doing the same. It's a show that leaves you wanting the next episode as soon as you finish one.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#9 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:08 PM

After a certain story point was "wrapped up" early last year I didn't see how they would do a second, same thing is happening this season so it should get really interesting.

#10 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,491 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:02 AM

I'm doing the same. It's a show that leaves you wanting the next episode as soon as you finish one.

Agreed, and my reason as well

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#11 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:05 AM

After a certain story point was "wrapped up" early last year I didn't see how they would do a second, same thing is happening this season so it should get really interesting.

Agree. They have a good writing team that seems to be drawing from current events rather nicely. This story line could go on for a while.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#12 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 509 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

Another great episode Sunday. Wow.

#13 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:34 AM

Another great episode Sunday. Wow.

Yep. Seemed like a short episode. Of course it wasn't, but it sure makes you wish you could watch the next one right away.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#14 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 509 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:14 AM

Yep. Seemed like a short episode. Of course it wasn't, but it sure makes you wish you could watch the next one right away.

I thought it was short too until I looked at the counter. Couldn't believe how fast it went.

#15 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

I thought it was short too until I looked at the counter. Couldn't believe how fast it went.

You get caught up in it and time just flies. I wish I had the discipline of those that actually record an entire season without peeking, then marathon till their heart's content ... unfortunately, I don't (have the discipline), and I do (peek). :rolleyes:
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#16 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

I guess it should not be surprising that the geniuses behind 24 are running this show. For HBO they have the luxury of enough time to do quality work, and every ep is top-shelf. For 24, they had to crank out 24 eps a year for what, 8 seasons? They had to take a year off just to catch up with themselves. Consequently, there are a few klinkers from 24 that did not measure up to the very high standards they themselves had set (whatserface getting chased by a cougar, anyone?). But by and large, 24 was a groundbreaking and iconic hit, precisely because of how talented these writers and producers are. Kudos too, to Sean Callery, who every week sets the bar higher for the production music, just as he did for 24. This guy is a genius in how he knows how to support the intensity and intrigue; If 24 and Homeland were the cakes, Sean's music is the icing. I think he does Last Resort, also--one of the new shows anyway.

One thing they brought over from 24 was a very high skill level and ability to create cliff-hanger ep wrap ups. Every ep has a twist at the end that makes you want to see the next ep right away; it's pure, unadulterated genius. 24 had that same quality.

I had never liked Claire Danes all that much; only about an 8 for starters, and the only thing I ever really liked with her in it was the pilot of "My So-Called Life" (IIRC) when she was about 16. Well, she has completely won me over. Now I want to just hug her and take her home with me, her character being so vulnerable and needy. I always considered Damian Lewis to be one of the best actors working, but Claire Danes is out-effing-standing. All the awards? They all deserved every single one.

This (my original feeling that Claire Danes might be over-rated and my lack of interest as her cast in the lead) is why I was on the fence regarding this show and never watched it. Later I regretted this because of all of the high praise the show was getting. Last year I stumbled across a marathon one Saturday morning on Showtime, and on a whim, recorded the whole season all in one day. Best decision I ever made.

But unlike Henry, even though I had the entire series double-recorded, I always put at least a 4-8 day buffer between every ep. It's not so much for me a matter of discipline, but experience (I am an Olympic-caliber couch potato, after all). I find that this is the sweet spot; close enough to be able to keep the thread intact in your head, but far enough apart to be able to savor the series for a relatively long time.

This year, however, its been must-see TV time; every Sunday within an hour or two of it airing, I gobble it right up. But I'm also fickle; I was doing the same thing with Justified, yet I still have 4 eps left from last year and haven't seen an ep in months. Maybe I got tired of dumb $#!+kickers and hillbilly heroin-related violence. Nobody on the show seems smart enough to be much of a threat to Raylan Givens anymore. He needs a Moriarity.

Edited by TomCat, 10 November 2012 - 11:49 PM.

It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#17 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,237 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Well said, Tomcat, however, I do get a tad weary of Claire Dane's character's histrionics. In real life, she wouldn't get within 100 miles of Langley.

Edited by Nick, 11 November 2012 - 12:37 PM.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#18 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,168 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:09 PM

Well said, Tomcat, however, I do get a tad weary of Claire Dane's character's histrionics. In real life, she wouldn't get within 100 miles of Langley.

+1

How true, how true.
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,911 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Yes, she's good, damned good, but could go a lot softer on the facials.

And Lewis is better. To me, the most amazing thing is.....

He's a Brit!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,530 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

... I do get a tad weary of Claire Dane's character's histrionics. In real life, she wouldn't get within 100 miles of Langley.

There is an element of having to suspend your disbelief in every program, and I agree that this program seems to have a lot of that compared to most, but they can get away with it because the sheer talent is so great that it wins you over in spite of that.

These producers also have a history of that. I remember Jack Bauer being able to face time live on his cell phone (years before Apple or Skype ever figured this out) from the basement level of an underground parking structure. 5 bars, I guess. No pixellation, no latency, perfect audio with no lipsync error.

I bought into it completely, and that was because the story was so compelling it overwhelmed all of the little flaws like this.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

spam firewall