Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Homeland

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:22 PM

Yes, she's good, damned good, but could go a lot softer on the facials...

(actually, there are multiple ways to interpret that comment :D.)

But like I said, she's an 8, not a 10. If Naomi Watts or Kate Beckinsale had the part, I probably would have been on board from the beginning. Shallow, admittedly, but I'm not about to apologize for that at this late date. I just think that neither of them could have touched her in how well she has acquitted herself in this role.

10's look better the closer you get; 8's don't; in fact maybe just the opposite. She is a little angular, and sadly that's her worst feature. But maybe its a little harsh to dissect someone who still is better-looking than about 90% of everyone else out there. I'm not Brad Pitt, myself (or even his brother Stu Pitt. Get it?)

But she's so good she can convey what she needs to without a closeup. The director should pick up on that and use it to both of their advantages.
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

(actually, there are multiple ways to interpret that comment :D.)

But like I said, she's an 8, not a 10. If Naomi Watts or Kate Beckinsale had the part, I probably would have been on board from the beginning. Shallow, admittedly, but I'm not about to apologize for that at this late date. I just think that neither of them could have touched her in how well she has acquitted herself in this role.

Throw in Halle Berry and Charlize Theron, o.k.?? ;) While all four of those women are knockouts, and at least three of them could do the rôle, Danes is better as she's not unbelievably pretty/beautiful/pick your adjective.

And, yeah, my comment came back to hit me in the face....facial expressions, yeah, that's the ticket........
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#23 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Yes, I am ressurrecting an old thread.

You may have noticed a lot of whining about the first 3 eps of Homeland this season, and in particular some moaning about ep 3, all among the real and imagined critics and reviewers that populate the internet and entertainment sites and forums. Also all over USAToday and FlipBoard folks were threatening to bail.

I agreed to a point; those eps were not up to the season one standards, but even well below those standards you can not drag me away from watching this still-terrific show.

Now, we have ep 4, Game On. It was a game changer (which also would have been an appropriate title) to the point where anything I say here now will be a....

Spoiler

I expect a lot of crow to be eaten this week on all of those websites.

Edited by TomCat, 21 October 2013 - 08:10 PM.

• beachcamp likes this
It's usually safe to talk honestly and openly with people because they typically are not really listening anyway.

#24 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

I agree with most all you said.  To include the fact that hubby and I just had a conversation about how boring the first few episodes were.  But it seems strange that each episode either has Carrie or Brody, but not both.  I wonder if one of them was off filming something else, so they taped separately.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#25 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,209 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

"                                                                                ."

^ Is that the sound of stunned silence I hear -or- has almost everyone left the room?

Was the season 3 finale of Homeland a show-stopper, as in a series ender?

SPOILER AHEAD - if you haven't yet seen the the season 3 finale, do not read the

spoiler.

Spoiler

What do you see as the future of Homeland?

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#26 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,120 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

That was a helluva cliff hanger, yes?

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#27 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:18 PM

My thoughts went something like this:

Spoiler

so I have no idea how the show will continue, but I think Showtime wants it to.

Edited by phrelin, 16 December 2013 - 02:20 PM.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#28 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:36 PM

The 24 folks had a very specific political agenda. They even hung with their radical political heroes in their off-hours. They pushed it hard in 24, and Homeland is delivering the same, paranoid, "they're coming down Main St. for your daughters" crazed military/industrial message serving specific corporate interests. It's called "propaganda".

#29 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,110 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:11 PM

The 24 folks had a very specific political agenda. They even hung with their radical political heroes in their off-hours. They pushed it hard in 24, and Homeland is delivering the same, paranoid, "they're coming down Main St. for your daughters" crazed military/industrial message serving specific corporate interests. It's called "propaganda".

Come up for air, Maruuk ... it's just a TV show.

• sigma1914 likes this
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#30 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,827 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

Spoiler

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#31 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 07:07 PM

Facts is facts.

#32 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 607 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:42 AM

I think next season will be Carrie on the war path against the new CIA head, she'll be undermining him every chance she gets.  The whole baby thing is just a PITA, hopefully it isn't in the next season.  I kept waiting for a cliff hanger ending and didn't see anything, they could have easily ended the show with this episode.

#33 OFFLINE   thxultra

thxultra

Godfather

• Registered
  • 417 posts

Posted 17 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

I think next season will be Carrie on the war path against the new CIA head, she'll be undermining him every chance she gets.  The whole baby thing is just a PITA, hopefully it isn't in the next season.  I kept waiting for a cliff hanger ending and didn't see anything, they could have easily ended the show with this episode.

Ya I'm worried that this may be where they should have ended it. Hopefully they continue the great writing though next season. Was really schocked to say the least with this last episode. Can totally do without the baby stuff also...

#34 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,314 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 17 December 2013 - 01:31 PM

Facts is facts.

Well....

What was a rather startling coincidence is the actual change in relations between Iran and "The West" following a change in Presidents in Iran without our having done something like that in "Homeland" (as far as I know!).

The Washington Post yesterday published a David Ignatius interview with Mohammad Javad Zarif, Iran’s foreign minister, which seems to indicate possibilities for the future, though Congress will probably kill it.

I personally would like to see our relationship with the Persian speaking people improve at least to the same level as with China. But my opinion is free and worth every penny.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#35 OFFLINE   Maruuk

Maruuk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 01:21 AM

Half the population of Iran is under 35. They love Americans, even though they have no reason to after what we've done to them. The Mullahs are not Iran anymore than Ted Cruze is America. I agree, the trend is a good one. It goes against all this paranoid warmongering stuff on TV. More power to peace and goodwill!

#36 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:49 PM

I worked Sunday, so did not get to the ep until Tuesday. Of course all I had to do was download USA Today to get the spoiler "Major Character Death..." before I could avert my eyes. Bastids.

So I watched hoping the major character was the new FBI chief. He is a really good actor to make me hate him that much. But I knew in my heart that there was no where else to go with Brody.

My fantasy is that Saul, who is moving to NYC, gets the homeland security post there, for the city, and that Carrie flames out in Istanbul (who wants to watch a show based in Istanbul?) and Saul ropes her in. Then it could be NYC-centric, and a bit more like 24. Those guys are the experts at a "24-like" show, for obvious reasons. Speaking of which, I am ready for Jack, already, lets crank up the 12-hour postlude ASAP. Jawadi could visit NYC and the UN.

But yes, Patinkin leaves early; low boredom threshold, apparently, so even he is doubtful for next year.

#37 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

Didn't get to see it until last night. Wow! 

Could we continue with just Danes, Murray Abraham, the Senator, Saul's wife or ex-wife, and Mrs. Brody and daughter? Probably. 

One question: I thought that Saul's wife was unfaithful not only in marriage vows, but some sort of other betrayal. Was she? 

"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#38 OFFLINE   lacubs

lacubs

Godfather

• Registered
  • 508 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

i read they told Morena Baccarin and Morgan Saylor they won't be back as series regulars, i get it they are mad at Baccarin she had a baby in middle of shooting the show and never finished her storyline with Dana

#39 OFFLINE   TomCat

TomCat

Broadcast Engineer

• Registered
  • 3,488 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 12:27 PM

If you are a lead character under contract getting paid lead character money you have to wrestle with avoiding pregnancy, even though it is probably illegal to make that a breach issue.

But, if you are a peripheral character I don't think you do. She lost some work, lost some dough, probably, and probably lost the option to continue with the show. But she probably also weighed all of that and didn't exactly make a blind decision. No one really has a right to be upset or to complain. Life happens.

But really, is there a better-looking actress anywhere on the planet? She'll be just fine. Besides, the internet hated Dana and her story, so Baccarin getting pregnant only probably helped the show get back on track. Personally, I felt a lot of empathy for Dana and liked her a lot, but I agree that maybe her issues were a little too removed from where the center of the show should have been.

• Henry likes this

#40 ONLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 491 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'd assume that since Brody is gone, so is his family from the show. What would be the point considering they never dealt with them when he was in Iran? Sent from the jaws of my Hammerhead!

spam firewall