Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No Coyotes hockey in New Mexico

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Michael Hilley

Michael Hilley

Legend

• Registered
  • 186 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:04 PM

DirecTV has indicated (email) that they can't offer Coyotes coverage from Fox AZ on Sports Pack to NM residents due to unspecified costs, thus will black out broadcasts and, because NM is Coyotes broadcast territory, will also black out Center Ice coverage, thus leaving NM in the dark for Coyotes viewing. This could spill over into many other markets with similar circumstances. Has anyone else experienced this communication from DirecTV?:mad:

I experienced a similar communication from DirecTV... albeit back in the mid-90's.
Had DirecTV back when I lived in So CA, with NHL CI.
A buddy with a weekend home in Lake Havasu was going to order DirecTV w/ NHL CI for the place until I called DirecTV and confirmed the "home territory" for both the Kings and Ducks extended into AZ, and that they both would be blacked-out.
Checked again a season and a half later, after the Jets relocated to America "obstructed" West Arena, and not only did they not lift the LA/ANA blackouts, all three were blacked out in Havasu.

The NFL had always been a 75 mile radius from the home stadium if not sold out, in consideration of ticket holders within a realistic commute.
All the other leagues amounts to a land grab.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

I don't get blacking out games if you're paying for CI or LP? Doesn't make any sense to me. So much for caring about the fans.

#23 OFFLINE   sdirv

sdirv

Icon

• Registered
  • 524 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:15 PM

Hockey in NM just seems unnatural. :grin:

Not any more than hockey in AZ........I retired from the city where the coyotes play....ownership of that arena is about to bankrupt the city..

#24 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

Cost. Simple, this is cost saving move. Do you pay to have the Coyotes games delivered to all of New Mexico when say only 5% of the state cares about the Coyotes yet you have to pay as if 100% care. In the old days, probably not that big a deal. This is probably the result of the new fox deal from last year when rates certainly went up again and they have to make a business decision. Will they lose some customers over it? Certainly. Will the losses be minimal and the cost savings more impactful? Of course, otherwise they wouldn't do it.

The world has changed, the cost of sports is so out of control now you will see more and more situations like this, especially from a national provider like Dish or DTV because they can't contain the costs at a local level.

You want someone to blame, start with sports costs, start with the RSNs, start with the teams, and yes, you can certainly blame the distributors as well. Many to blame.

#25 OFFLINE   lokar

lokar

Icon

• Registered
  • 657 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 09:50 AM

You want someone to blame, start with sports costs, start with the RSNs, start with the teams, and yes, you can certainly blame the distributors as well. Many to blame.

I blame the lack of sports on there being no a la carte. That would put a stop to a lot of these problems and carrier disputes if there was a way for only people who want sports product to pay for it. All RSNs and sports networks should be a la carte. I am surprised Dish at least hasn't already tried to do this and DirecTV has got to be thinking about it with their new hard line stance against increases.

#26 ONLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:29 AM

Cost. Simple, this is cost saving move. Do you pay to have the Coyotes games delivered to all of New Mexico when say only 5% of the state cares about the Coyotes yet you have to pay as if 100% care.

Even with the out of market league packages? Then what's the point of having them?

#27 OFFLINE   ChicagoBlue

ChicagoBlue

Godfather

• Registered
  • 303 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Even with the out of market league packages? Then what's the point of having them?

I think you aren't understanding how this whole thing works.

The leagues dictate the team territories as Out of market and In Market.

Those are fairly easy to understand. If you are in an out of market area, you need an out of market sports package to get those games.

The complexities come in the In Market areas as those are dictated by the teams \ networks that own the rights. There are different grades of in market. Think of it like a bullseye in a target. The further you get away from the bullseye in the outer rings, they are still part of the in market territory but companies like DTV have to pay high rates to allow access to those channels.

So let's use the Coyotes as an example. In the state of Arizona, or at least within a certain distance of Phoenix DTV and other carriers would pay a certain fee to carry those games. As they get further away, the fee changes but is still considered In Market. If DTV, or DISH or anyone else deems a zip code 500 miles away from the Coyotes bullseye is not worth paying for, there is nothing the customer can do about it. They are caught in the twilight zone at that point.

Why would DTV or DISH or anyone else do this? Cost. Plain and simple. Think about it this way, there are probably very few fans in New Mexico of the Coyotes but because the RSNs will not allow a la carte distribution of their game, DTV has to pay the RSN as if 100% (or close to it) of their customers in that zip code 500 miles away is a fan and pay the RSN accordingly. Now, if we're talking 50 miles away from Phoenix, that's probably a decision DTV can't afford to make. 500 miles away? Simple. They'll save a lot of money and anger very few customers in the process. With the cost of RSNs now (in this case since FOX owns that channel I'm betting this is a result of the new FOX deal with DTV),, they're probably picking some zip codes that they have not very many customers and are a considerable distance from that team to save a ton of money. It's strictly a business decision and a smart one. They'll lose some customers over it, but they will lose FAR FAR less in terms of $$ than they would have to pay FOX to keep the games on in those zip codes.

It's a no brainer for them. The game has changed, the cost of sports programming makes these decisions easier than ever. Someone here said they were in Kentucky and got a similar letter about the Nashville Predators or something. Again, 100's of miles away in a zip code that they would be forced to pay the RSN IN MARKET rates. No brainer.

#28 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:51 AM

I know there are certain zip codes where one could get a respective RSN plus its teams if one has the Sports Pack or Premier package.

Have things became that cost prohibitive that D* couldn't put FSAZ on either of the said packages for those in New Mexico? Or would Fox Sports not agree to that arrangement?

When I lived in Vegas, despite the Diamondbacks claiming Vegas as in-market, FSAZ could only be available with the Sports Pack.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#29 OFFLINE   scv87

scv87

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

How does DTV determine your local RSN? I mentioned earlier that I live in far western Kentucky, but my RSN is FS Cincinnati. I live over 300 miles from Cincinnati. I'm not sure, but I think that all of Kentucky gets FS Cincinnati.

When it comes to baseball the western part of the state is mostly St. Louis Cardinals fans, and I would much rather get FS Midwest as my local RSN. Right now I'm still able to watch the Cardinals with the Sports Pack, but I'm afraid that might change next year.

#30 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:25 AM

How does DTV determine your local RSN? I mentioned earlier that I live in far western Kentucky, but my RSN is FS Cincinnati. I live over 300 miles from Cincinnati. I'm not sure, but I think that all of Kentucky gets FS Cincinnati.

When it comes to baseball the western part of the state is mostly St. Louis Cardinals fans, and I would much rather get FS Midwest as my local RSN. Right now I'm still able to watch the Cardinals with the Sports Pack, but I'm afraid that might change next year.

MLB teams zones need to be reworked as well as the blackout rules.
I want CLTV / CLTV HD on direct tv.

#31 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:50 PM

I think that all of the major sports leagues love the frustration that us fans put up with. If they can con you into buying their sports package, it's a success, in their eyes.

#32 OFFLINE   Microphone

Microphone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

What??? Hot & humid Georgia had NHL hockey teams? I thought those were uniformed freestyle swim teams! :P

Atlanta is just a bad sports city period.

#33 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm still able to watch the Cardinals with the Sports Pack, but I'm afraid that might change next year.

You might want to be worried with how cheap Directv is getting with their RSN contracts. You may be blacked out of every Cardinals game broadcast on Fox Sports Midwest next year regardless if you have Sports Pack and/or Extra Innings just like with what's happening with the OP.

#34 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,692 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

It a league considers you to be in-market, then all providers in that market should carry the team's RSN to all in-market zip codes. If out of market, open up all out of market feeds via NHL CI, MLB EI, etc. to all other zip codes. Doesn't sound that complicated. That is fan friendly and make sure that all fans who want to see a particular team's games can do so.. either locally, or by paying for the NHL CI, MLB EI, etc. packages.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

spam firewall