Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Whole home issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gopherfanT

gopherfanT

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:50 AM

I'm having a problem and I hope someone can help. A few months ago we had someone come out and install whole home for us. We have 3 HD boxes, 2 are DVR's and one is not. I would like to move one of the DVR's to the TV that currently has the non DVR hooked up to it. As soon as I unplug the DVR to move it, the TV upstairs (also connected to a DVR) goes out and doesn't work. Once I moved the DVR and got it hooked up to the TV, neither TV worked and both said they couldn't connect to the satellite. I connected it the exact same to the new box as it was to the old box. As soon as I connect it back to the old TV like it was before, the TV upstairs works again. Any ideas???

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:23 AM

See if one of your systems has something like this plugged in to the wall and the coax.
http://www.solidsign...ku=874409000844

When you find it, unplug it from the wall and wait for a couple of minutes and plug it back in.
See if they connect now.

When you move a receiver you should hook up the coax to it before plugging in the power from the wall.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   gopherfanT

gopherfanT

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:26 AM

Yes, the one I am trying to move has that connected. Does it make sense that when I unplug that, all the TV's go out? If so, why when I move it to the different TV and hook everything back up, neither TV works?

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,981 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

Yes, the one I am trying to move has that connected. Does it make sense that when I unplug that, all the TV's go out? If so, why when I move it to the different TV and hook everything back up, neither TV works?

That is the power for the dish, and can only be connected to the coax that is connected to the power passing port on the splitter.
Leave the PI in place and swap the receivers.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   gopherfanT

gopherfanT

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:11 AM

So I can't keep that connected to the DVR, move it with the DVR and connect it to the new coax line at the new location? I was hoping to get rid of the non DVR box completely, and move the DVR that this is connected to, to that other TV. When I try this, neither DVR in the house works, it says not connected to satellite.

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

So I can't keep that connected to the DVR, move it with the DVR and connect it to the new coax line at the new location? I was hoping to get rid of the non DVR box completely, and move the DVR that this is connected to, to that other TV. When I try this, neither DVR in the house works, it says not connected to satellite.

Leave the power inserter in it's original location. Remove the coax that was running to the DVR from it and put on a Terminator where it was connected to the power inserter. Edit: I could not find one on the Radio Shack site. Here is what one looks like on the Solid Signal site. http://www.solidsign...inator)-(SPTERM)

Take just the DVR to the new room.

Edited by jimmie57, 23 October 2012 - 10:27 AM.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#7 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

As VOS stated, the issue is that the PI is used to power your dish. If you move it, it needs to be on a coax that is connected to the red power pass-thru port on any splitter that coax is connected to. If you are removing a receiver permanently from the location where the PI currently is, you will need to move the new coax that the PI is connected to the same port and that the PI was originally connected.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#8 OFFLINE   gopherfanT

gopherfanT

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:06 PM

As VOS stated, the issue is that the PI is used to power your dish. If you move it, it needs to be on a coax that is connected to the red power pass-thru port on any splitter that coax is connected to. If you are removing a receiver permanently from the location where the PI currently is, you will need to move the new coax that the PI is connected to the same port and that the PI was originally connected.

- Merg

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. All coax lines that run to the different rooms in the house homerun in the basement, where the splitter is. Without looking at it, am I correct to assume that there is something in that room, at the splitter that the coax line where the PI currently is, is plugged into? To fix my issue, I can move the DVR and PI to the new location and then plug the correct coax line into that piece by the splitter, correct?

#9 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,268 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:15 PM

Thanks guys, I appreciate the help. All coax lines that run to the different rooms in the house homerun in the basement, where the splitter is. Without looking at it, am I correct to assume that there is something in that room, at the splitter that the coax line where the PI currently is, is plugged into? To fix my issue, I can move the DVR and PI to the new location and then plug the correct coax line into that piece by the splitter, correct?

It's not an extra piece. On the splitter itself, there should be a little red line that states DC power pass through and it points to one port on the splitter. Make sure that the coax that the PI is connected to is plugged into that port on the splitter.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#10 OFFLINE   gopherfanT

gopherfanT

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:26 PM

It's not an extra piece. On the splitter itself, there should be a little red line that states DC power pass through and it points to one port on the splitter. Make sure that the coax that the PI is connected to is plugged into that port on the splitter.

- Merg

Got it. Thanks!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...