Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Very odd recording issue on HR34

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   robertr2112

robertr2112

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Ok, so I recorded two programs last night on my HR34. Both were on ESPN HD. The Bears-Lions game and a sportscenter program after the game. Today when I go to watch them, neither one of them will play. In fact, whatever is on the current channel shows up in freeze frame when you press play. You can fast-forward, rewind, whatever but the picture never changes from what was on BEFORE I try to play the recording.

Any thoughts? I've had the receiver for about a month and other than occasional freezes/pixelation it was working good.

It's extremely frustrating to think you recorded something and then not be able to watch it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:40 AM

First thing to try is:
Menu, Settings, Reset and choose the first one in the list.
It is the same as a shut down / restart of a PC.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   robertr2112

robertr2112

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:43 AM

I should have mentioned in my first post that I already tried resetting the receiver. It still just shows a screen capture of the last channel viewed before starting to play the recording.

#4 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Do you have other / previous recordings that play ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   robertr2112

robertr2112

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:26 PM

yes, I have recordings from previously that play fine. And I recorded something else today from the same channel (ESPN HD) after resetting the receiver and it plays fine. Those other two still do not play.

#6 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,848 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:32 PM

I am out of ideas for this one.

Hopefully someone more experienced will have a suggestion / solution.

Good luck with it.

#7 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 October 2012 - 12:51 PM

This is very odd. What length does the List show?
What does History say?

Try hitting FF, RW, Skip, Play several times in no particular order.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#8 OFFLINE   otaliema

otaliema

AllStar

• Registered
  • 171 posts
  • LocationMid-west USA

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

The issue your discribing sounds very simular to the black screen on recordings the HR2x units will get. The cause of the issue on the HR2x units is a signal problem.
Have you run a system test? (hold info till test screen comes then select run test). If you get a signal releate fail code 4x than call DIRECTV for a service call.
I'm not fluent in the known issues on the HR34 right off the top of my head so I can't say for sure if this is a bug, a one off or a signal issue.

I am a former DIRECTV employee however all statements opinions, views, expressions, etc, are entirely my own even if logic says otherwise.

They DO NOT reflect on DIRECTV and or any partner, affiliated company's, polices, processes, opinions, or things that are not listed here.

Set up. HR24-200, HR24-200, HR22-200, H23-600. Whole Home, BBCCK, SL3 SWiM.

I have found that working with computers is like working with a toddler, sometimes there is no reason for the melt down, just keep on moving forward.

#9 OFFLINE   robertr2112

robertr2112

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 03:21 PM

I've done the play, ff, rew, skip functions in various orders and nothing happened. I've also tested the signal (post system reset) and everything is in order. I've even done several test recordings after the fact and they worked fine.

The length of the recordings was correct. One was for 4 hours and one was for 1 hour. The history shows everything correct.

The only issue appears to be in trying to play the recordings.

I could understand a file corruption issue if the recording started and then froze but the fact that the only image that is shown is a screen capture of whatever is playing on the current channel instead of anything related to the recording.

That is why this problem is so troubling. I don't see any reported issues with the recording yet they won't play and don't seem to even try to get the correct video.

#10 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,358 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 23 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

I had a similar situation with the Red Zone: Just a black screen when I tried to play it a week ago. (Recorded ten days ago.) I thought it might have been related to how The Red Zone was supposed to work, so I asked the question, but saw no response.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#11 OFFLINE   robertr2112

robertr2112

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ok, so I've run every system test and they all pass. And the blank recordings popped up again. This time on ABC HD.

Is there any chance this could be a SWM switch issue? I have a std slimline 5 dish with an 8 port SWM dish. The signal strength looks like this:

1-8 100 0 0 100 91 100 100 100
9-16 100

Is that a normal reading? I don't think I've ever seen a non-100 before on that screen.

I guess I'll power cycle the switch and see what that does.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

#12 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:37 AM

The zeros on the SWiM screen mean another receiver is using that SWiM channel. If you put all your receivers on the signal strength screen, they will release those channels and you should have high numbers on your SWiM screen.

As to your problem, it seems intermittent. Are your sat signals levels stable when you watch them for a few minutes?

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#13 OFFLINE   robertr2112

robertr2112

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yes, the levels stay pretty consistent across all satellites.

#14 OFFLINE   thomamon

thomamon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

The same exact thing happened to me this week for 3 programs back to back to back on another channel. It would freeze the last frame that was currently on the screen and you would hear the audio from the recording. It was nothing major so I did not care, I thought it was a broadcast signal error.

#15 OFFLINE   thomamon

thomamon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

This has happened to me again last night for 3 programs. Has anyone figured this out or a way to see if the video really is there?

#16 OFFLINE   augisdad

augisdad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 120 posts
  • LocationKC area

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

This has been mentioned in several threads now, including the one for 0x05D3 Issues/Discussion thread. I've had it happen 2 or 3 times myself in the last 3 releases. It was suggested that it seems to happen when you are tuned to the station you are planning to record. That is when it has happened to me. I could not find any way to get the recording to play. Only suggestion I have is, if you have another DVR - and its something you don't want to miss...make sure you record it on that one as well.
HR20-100 since 2008 w/27" Sony SDTV
HR34 since 4/3/2012 w/47" Mitsubishi HDTV
HMC since 4/3/2012

#17 OFFLINE   thomamon

thomamon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

This has been mentioned in several threads now, including the one for 0x05D3 Issues/Discussion thread. I've had it happen 2 or 3 times myself in the last 3 releases. It was suggested that it seems to happen when you are tuned to the station you are planning to record. That is when it has happened to me. I could not find any way to get the recording to play. Only suggestion I have is, if you have another DVR - and its something you don't want to miss...make sure you record it on that one as well.

Only have one DVR tho!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...