Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

4th Gen iPad?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:37 AM

One interesting thing I gleaned..

Adding 4G/LTE to an iPad is $139.
Adding 4G/LTE to a new Kindle Fire HD is $200.

That might tell you how much subsidy is going on there.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,122 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:09 AM

Confusing, as the "iPad", (3-ish) the one I got months ago, is also a retina display....

I think (but very difficult to tell), the iPad you bought a few months ago is no longer available. The iPad Retina is the top level, the iPad 2 is the entry level and available in very limited configurations (i.e. 16 gig only) and then you have the iPad mini.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#23 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 762 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:39 AM

One interesting thing I gleaned..

Adding 4G/LTE to an iPad is $139.
Adding 4G/LTE to a new Kindle Fire HD is $200.

That might tell you how much subsidy is going on there.

Yep, probably has to do with the $50/yr plan you get with Amazon. It's only 250mb a month, but the wireless provider isn't making much margin on that.
HR20-100
Sharp 52" LCD 1080p
Yamaha YSP Sound Projector fed with Optical
Harmony 700

HR22-100
32" Samsung LED New School

#24 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:52 AM

I don't see the point in the mini at that price point.

IF you mostly (or solely) want to read books... a Kindle is nearly half the price of the cheapest iPad mini still.

IF you want to do more than read books (and yes, I know the Kindle has apps too just not as many)... then I wholeheartedly recommend the full-size iPad instead.

I just don't see the market for a Kindle-sized device at nearly twice the price.

For the money, you might as well get a full size iPad instead... otherwise get a Kindle.

Or am I missing something?

Not from my POV. I can't even figure out why anyone would buy books when you can get them from a library at no cost. Many years ago I began to wonder how book stores stayed in business.

Obviously iLemmings (all due respect to the members who use Apple equipment, I'm not aiming at anyone on the forum) will buy anything with an Apple on the back.

Rich

#25 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:54 AM

I was on the iPad mini bandwagon for sure. The size was what I hoped the original iPad would be. However, the lack of an anti-glare screen like the one on the iPhone 5 could be a deal breaker for me. I've been considering getting the Kindle Paperwhite instead. I love my iPad 2, but it's just too big for me to hold comfortably and read for any length of time...

And here I'm considering buying that 20" Sony tablet... :lol:

Rich

#26 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,645 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:03 AM

Not from my POV. I can't even figure out why anyone would buy books when you can get them from a library at no cost. Many years ago I began to wonder how book stores stayed in business.
Rich

Not everyone has a great library system, a book may not be available, or too many requests and not enough copies. Sure, there's Interlibrary loan, but that doesn't solve everything. Plus there's the fact that depending on how much time you have, you might end up taking more than the two weeks to read a book. Can't renew if someone requested it.

#27 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:59 AM

Well, when you go on vacation and only need to carry along an ebook reader for the 6 books you plan on reading as opposed to lugging around 6 books, that would be why...

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#28 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,216 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:15 AM

I was interested in the iPad Mini but expected a price point under $300. I'll take a closer look at the Google Nexus.

Currently I read e-books from the library on an iPod Touch. Works very well on a crowded economy airline seat. I'd prefer a 7+ inch screen, though.
Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#29 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,499 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:35 PM

Obviously iLemmings (all due respect to the members who use Apple equipment, I'm not aiming at anyone on the forum) will buy anything with an Apple on the back.

Rich

You're talking apples vs oranges, though.

I could make the same argument over almost anything that isn't a requirement for life (food, air, water).

For that matter... why do people buy water when it is free all around you?

Why do you need a car? You can walk or use public transportation.

Why do you need a computer? You can mail letters and packages, talk to people in person, play board/card games, and write with a pen and paper!

And so forth...

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#30 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,304 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 24 October 2012 - 01:58 PM

Or buy bottled water that's priced higher than gasoline and may not be as good as your own tap water!

Or buy a cup of coffee that's priced higher than the gallon of gas that it took to go get the cup of coffee that's mostly milk and sugar!

The list is probably endless in today's economy -- recession indeed!!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#31 OFFLINE   naijai

naijai

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 06:29 PM

I was interested in the iPad Mini but expected a price point under $300. I'll take a closer look at the Google Nexus.

Currently I read e-books from the library on an iPod Touch. Works very well on a crowded economy airline seat. I'd prefer a 7+ inch screen, though.

A price point under $300 would have taken a bigger bite out of Amazon and others share of the 7" market but the $329 will still take a bite out of it because it's easier for most to get their kids, add them to existing accounts or it's just another iDevice that people can use.

(I do have a iPad 3 which wil be replaced by the surface pro)

Edited by naijai, 24 October 2012 - 06:50 PM.

Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.
Winston Churchill

DIRECTV employee since May 2003.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views DO NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#32 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

The fact that the refresh of the 10" came completely as a surprise and without weeks of speculation and rumor would lead me to believe they are more than just a bit concerned that the competition is getting serious in the tablet space.

The price on the mini is just plain stupid though. This has to be pushing the limits of what even the most die-hard apple fans will be willing to stomach. Very happy that I dumped my Gen 1's last month as they would be nearly worthless now with Gen 4's coming so quickly to market.

#33 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

What bench mark of sales of the mini would you accept as showing that the pricing is not, like, totally stupid? 1 Million? 2? 5?
What?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#34 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:54 PM

I said the price is stupid, which I believe it is. I will reserve comment wrt the intelligence level of the 1,2 or 5 million that will still purchase it.

#35 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,188 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 25 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

Why would people buy DVDs when they could just watch the movie on HBO (when available)?

You can ask the same question of many things. Some people just plaing like to own something.

One reason I have a Kindle Fire (having previously had a Kindle 2 and Kindle DX) is that I can get virtually any book I want, (almost) any time I want. Lately there's been the complication of the publishing companies trying to inflate prices, but that's another issue. I won't pay $15 for an e-book just as I won't pay $25 for a hardcover.

A friend of mine recommended a book to me last week. I looked it up and had it on my Kindle in less than 3 minutes. It's now synched to my phone as well and I can read whenever I have a few minutes. In addition, I don't have to lug several books around when travelling.

I always have my library with me - so when my trip to the mechanic for a car inspection suddenly turns into a couple of hours to replace brakes and some other parts, I have reading material. I even have newspapers and magazines delivered to my shirt pocket.

#36 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

I'm just shocked that Apple would miss the mark this badly. It's got worse hardware and screen than the Nexus 7 at a much higher price point, and if the rumor holds true that we're looking at a shift from 8/16GB on the Nexus 7 to 16/32 then at the $249 price point you're talking about a 32GB Nexus 7. That's insane.

And it's precisely why Apple was so slow to enter the market, I suppose: they can't compete at anything below boutique pricing.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#37 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,525 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:04 AM

It is $70 more expensive than a 16GB Nexus, but with the 4:3 aspect ratio, 7.9 vs 7 provides a different experience a lot of folks will prefer, IMHO. If the price was equal, it would be a no-brainer for me as to which one I'd get.

Posted Image

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1351166742

Attached Thumbnails

• nexus vs mini.jpg

/steve

#38 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,908 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:34 AM

I said the price is stupid, which I believe it is. I will reserve comment wrt the intelligence level of the 1,2 or 5 million that will still purchase it.

Really? You really understand pricing and marketing better than a Fortune 100 company with the track record of Apple? If you can leave aside your remarks about stupid buyers, fanbois, etc., is there no number in sales that'd show that the pricing is all right? Are you squirming here just a bit? Come up with a number.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#39 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,279 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:08 AM

I'm just shocked that Apple would miss the mark this badly. It's got worse hardware and screen than the Nexus 7 at a much higher price point, and if the rumor holds true that we're looking at a shift from 8/16GB on the Nexus 7 to 16/32 then at the $249 price point you're talking about a 32GB Nexus 7. That's insane.

And it's precisely why Apple was so slow to enter the market, I suppose: they can't compete at anything below boutique pricing.

You give all the same geek arguments that were made when the 1st iPad hit the streets, and I suspect the market will respond now just like they did then. In the marketplace geeks aren't very relevant.

Note that none of the non-Apple tablet makers will give actual sales numbers, most likely because any number that is true would look pathetic in comparison to Apple's in tablets.

I think that in the long term, Apple and Amazon will be the biggest winners by far since they both have a thriving ecosystem to back up their hardware. And that is precisely what is missing with the rest of the tablets.

As to what pricing Apple should have come in at? Well Apple has been hitting the mark as to what the market is willing to pay for what Apple is providing. I expect the Mini will find plenty of buyers and even sell more of them than any other mfg.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#40 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,387 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:24 AM

Not everyone has a great library system, a book may not be available, or too many requests and not enough copies. Sure, there's Interlibrary loan, but that doesn't solve everything. Plus there's the fact that depending on how much time you have, you might end up taking more than the two weeks to read a book. Can't renew if someone requested it.

Costs us $.10 a day to hold an overdue book. Rarely have to that, but it's still wayyyyy cheaper than buying the book.

I do realize everyone doesn't have the wonderful library network we do in NJ, but I'd think most states do have some sort of library network.

I've never tried to calculate the number of books I read in a year, but I'd be paying a hefty sum if I had to buy each one.

I dunno, it's never made any sense to me to purchase a book that can be had at no charge. No matter how you choose to read a book, be it a real paper book or on a computer, tablet, whatever, it still makes no sense to me to pay for a book that you can read free of charge.

Rich

spam firewall