Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

4th Gen iPad?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:00 PM

Apple released iOS 6 for the 3GS. There has to be a reason it wasn't released for the first gen iPad.

3GS was still a currently active model when iOS 6 was released.
/steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

True. But i don't think that is a requirement. Certainly isn't for Android. Now, I will say there was a time I was upset with Apple. I was very annoyed when I was charged to get access to apps like Mail and such, then charged for OS updates. Fortunately, they don't do that anymore.

#63 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Respectfully disagree. I read somewhere an estimate that it costs them $200 to build and ship an iPad Mini they sell for $130 more. Maybe not iPad maxi margins, but pretty good margins none the less, IMHO.

And they still bring a new iTunes customer into the ecosystem that otherwise might have become a Kindle or Play Store customer. Just my .02.

It's not just me and I am not making this stuff up. The technical spec's speak for themselves. The mini is not a superior product to the competition, therefore it may not be stupid but it sure seems idiotic to price it higher than the competitions products.

Stewart,
It is not just the kindle the mini is competing with. Here is a link to an article that outlines all of the existing competition in this space.

http://www.networkwo...-cost-less.html

I'm less familiar with the other tablets, so I couldn't fairly bring them into my post conversation... though I know there are some others out there to compete with.

Generally what I'm saying is this...

Without even trying to compete directly with those products, the iPad was selling similar to warm pancakes :)

So... if Apple doesn't introduce the iPad mini, people would still line up to buy the iPad.

Apple introduces an iPad mini that is slightly cheaper than an iPad and has slightly less capability than the full-size iPad... but still costs substantially more than its closest competitors.

The comparison between a Kindle and an iPad full-size is all the different/better stuff you can do with an iPad besides the books. The comparison between a Kindle and the iPad mini is less sexy.

I can talk someone into spending a little more for an iPad... even a lot more... but I don't feel like I can talk someone into an iPad mini.

I have an iPhone, iPad, and iMac... I also have an older PC and still run Windows in a virtual machine on my Mac... I think I can be pretty fair about the things Apple does right and the places where it is worth the money Apple charges.

All I'm really saying is... this late into the game... I'll be surprised if the iPad mini does much damage to the Kindle/other smaller tablet market that the iPad full-size wasn't going to do anyway.

And ever user that buys an iPad mini, is not going to buy an iPad full size.

As I said... I have an iPhone, iPad, and iMac... it makes zero sense for me to consider an iPad mini.

For the consumer who wants the iPad mini... Apple might lost an iPad sale (so that's maybe an equal profit margin trade perhaps) but they might also lose an iPhone sale as well... because that person might opt for a cheap smartphone to make up the difference they had to pay for the iPad mini over a Kindle or similar smaller tablet.

Only time will tell... I just don't think Apple needed small, medium, and large sizes to compete... I think small and large were option enough.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#64 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:19 PM

Stewart,
Totally agree with you on that point. The relatively small difference in price between the mini and the new 4th gen ipad is so close that portability alone does not make up for it.

Anyone looking at both should think long and hard before dropping $329 plus the cost of accessories on a mini. You are also almost guaranteed that most of that investment will evaproate once the gen 2 comes out in 6 - 8 months and with a retina display.

#65 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,176 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:20 AM

The hardcover book I'm reading now costs $27.99. I'm almost done with it and I started it yesterday. I'm gonna open a thread about it later today, it's a really good read. Cost: $0.00. How can you beat that?

Simple. The stuff I like typically isn't available at a library - and when it is, it's often checked-out. Also, I didn't have to drive through town to get there. Another benefit is that my wife and daughter have Kindle software on their phones linked to my account so they can read the book as well. Oh yeah - I also have the newspaper delivered to my Kindle (it's never late, wet or missing). But, by the same token, I also voted in the town election to marshall the funds to build the new library. Not everyone is in my situation and, to me, libraries are something essential.

I certainly don't argue that there's a cost involved with convenience. But it's different strokes for different folks. It took some doing for me to 'switch' to e-books (for the most part) but that reasoning was because I was running out of bookshelves. The reason for THAT was that I simply liked owning the books. I like supporting the authors. They're performing a service that, to me, is worth it (at least when priced right - I remember the days of 'waiting for the paperback').

#66 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 06:55 AM

I'm just happy that I can buy an electronic copy, and can sync it to every device throughout the family, and have it forever. Great flexibility. It costs what it costs, but at least for me it's worth it, for others maybe not.

For the price of the iPad Mini, same, it is what it is, it's it's too high and doesn't sell well then they'll lower it if the targets don't work out.

For the iPad 4th generation, I may stick with my 3rd generation for while, unless I impulsively decide to sell it for more then $500 if I'd ever find anyone. Really would prefer to wait for a thinner and lighter 5th generation which will probably come with the newer less power consuming screen.

Certainly great to see them keep adding to the Apple ecosystem, the more the better, with UI consistently on every device. Also have a close family member who just moved the whole family to iPhone's, and they're now also looking at the iPad, and Apple TV for family photos on the big screen. Awesome time that we live in.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#67 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:14 AM

Just because the maker of your device comes out with a new model, design or OS doesn't make what you have obsolete. Unless you're way focused on what's new and cool, or the new device does something you have to have or your life becomes a big empty hole.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#68 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Just because the maker of your device comes out with a new model, design or OS doesn't make what you have obsolete. Unless you're way focused on what's new and cool, or the new device does something you have to have or your life becomes a big empty hole.

Right. I'm keeping my iPad 2 until they stop releasing iOS versions for it. That is probably the point I'll get a new one.

#69 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,435 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

Right. I'm keeping my iPad 2 until they stop releasing iOS versions for it. That is probably the point I'll get a new one.

Not sure which model you have, but if you do get the urge to upgrade, a clean 32gb iPad 2 wifi is worth up to $345 on Amazon instant sale. They're also selling for over $400 on eBay.

Even used original iPad 16gb WiFi models are still selling for over $200!
/steve

#70 OFFLINE   klang

klang

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationNear Houston, TX

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:21 AM

I've got an iPad 2 I'm still happy with. I'm waiting to see if an iPad 5 is due in the spring. That will be a two year upgrade cycle which is what I do with my phone.

#71 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

It has nothing to do with what's cool. Once apple decides to stop supporting the device with OS upgrades it is considered end of life, done. Try buying a refurbished gen 1 ipad from the apple site, they no longer exist in the eyes of the company. Yes, it will still function just like early generation ipods and iphones do but application support quickly rolls off and batteries die and become more expensive to replace than what the device is worth.

The reason you are forced to sell is the larger community is just now beginning to realize that unsupported devices from apple are obsolete so there is a small window where you can sell it and recoup at least some of the premium you paid for it. Every new generation product is billed as the "best apple ithing ever." Case in point, if you just bought a third generation ipad you are not the happiest apple customer ever now that ipad 4 came out of nowhere.

The ipad mini will most likely refresh very quickly to add a retina display which it should already have had out of the gate at its premium to the marketplace. Buy one, see what it is worth after the new mini comes out next spring or summer. This trend apple has introduced to its loyal customers will eventually catch up with them. Three years of it and I am ready to tap out. Lesson learned. As someone else already stated we are living in great times, choices and options are quickly becoming abundant. This is good.

#72 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,209 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:14 PM

Simple. The stuff I like typically isn't available at a library - and when it is, it's often checked-out. Also, I didn't have to drive through town to get there. Another benefit is that my wife and daughter have Kindle software on their phones linked to my account so they can read the book as well. Oh yeah - I also have the newspaper delivered to my Kindle (it's never late, wet or missing). But, by the same token, I also voted in the town election to marshall the funds to build the new library. Not everyone is in my situation and, to me, libraries are something essential.

I certainly don't argue that there's a cost involved with convenience. But it's different strokes for different folks. It took some doing for me to 'switch' to e-books (for the most part) but that reasoning was because I was running out of bookshelves. The reason for THAT was that I simply liked owning the books. I like supporting the authors. They're performing a service that, to me, is worth it (at least when priced right - I remember the days of 'waiting for the paperback').

I can't even imagine how much my wife and I would spend on books if we had to buy them. But, you're right, different people will look at this differently. I've never had an urge to keep books, except for a very few reference books.

Don't get me wrong, if folks want to read e-books it makes little difference to me. What worries me is the direction libraries are taking. But that's a story for another thread.

Rich

#73 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Case in point!

In some instances with computers, receivers, phones and tablets, they don't become obsolete even when the next OS won't run on them, perhaps even when all updates stop. Mileage, usage varies.

Now, my 8500 is obsolete!

#74 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,452 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

I have an original iPad... the biggest problem right now with it is... they didn't support iOS6 on it, and the iOS 5.1.1 has been buggy for me... lots of crashes... so it has reached its end of life in terms of support, though not for usefulness.

IF I had a new iPad from earlier in the year, I wouldn't be tempted... but having skipped iPad 2, and the earlier release... this new iPad is more tempting to me for all the things I'll get since the original.

I had the iPhone 3G... and didn't upgrade that until iPhone 4. I have no plans for an iPhone 5... I'm still happy and 5 doesn't offer enough to suck me into more money and a new 2 year contract with the phone company.

Maybe iPhone 6 will tempt me. I'm fine skipping every other generation or so to get the most bang for my upgrade bucks.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#75 OFFLINE   jdskycaster

jdskycaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 272 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

Case in point!

In some instances with computers, receivers, phones and tablets, they don't become obsolete even when the next OS won't run on them, perhaps even when all updates stop. Mileage, usage varies.

Except prior to the new world of apple it was considered standard practice to design a removable battery into any portable device. I am very happy to see that new offerings in the tablet arena will soon be offering this as an option. Sure it may not be as thin as a sheet of paper but contrary to current popular belief form should often times follow functionality.

Anyone with a two to three year old device is walking a fine line where the internal battery will cost more to replace than the device is worth. Another reason I dumped my Gen 1's a month ago.

As for running an older OS, Apple makes sure new features and functionality are inherent to any new release. If you cannot consume it on your device then it becomes that much less desirable and therefore can still inhabit the walled garden of apple it is just relegated to the area closest to the dung heap.

#76 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,575 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

I read of your bad experience with Apple, maybe many, and see you tilting at just about every feature they introduced.

I am just not able to respond to every post on this, and we have very different ideas as to what obsolescence is, so best of luck with whatever devices you choose.

#77 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,429 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:15 PM

Case in point!

I support iPhones and iPads at work, so it really is helpful to me to have the current OS. Plus there are a lot of security fixes even in iOS 6.

Fortunately we haven't run into many bugs running old versions that are a real issue. We will need to work with some users that are not able to update past 4.2.1 because of an Exchange 2010 migration bug. I do wish some that have iPhone 3G's would upgrade as they never back up their photos and such, then get mad if anything does happen.

For computers, I'm going to have a few users that are on PowerPC Macs, Win98 and ME when we make a change that will prevent them from using those home systems from connecting to one of our systems. So definitely mileage varies. For Microsoft, when they stop releasing security updates, time to update the OS. At least to 7 while its possible :)

spam firewall