Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Most common passwords 2012

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:08 AM

The 2012 edition of most popular (and bad) passwords.

Fortunately none of mine are on the list. Even I wouldn't be able to guess most of my passwords, so not much concern there.

http://news.cnet.com...orst-passwords/

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,089 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:16 AM

I have many accounts online. No way to keep up with the passwords, security questions and answers, etc. for each of them except to write them down. I know you are not supposed to do that, but, when you are 69 you do not have a choice.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

The 2012 edition of most popular (and bad) passwords.

Fortunately none of mine are on the list. Even I wouldn't be able to guess most of my passwords, so not much concern there.

http://news.cnet.com...orst-passwords/

Good way to check...

http://howsecureismypassword.net/

tells me it will tak 71 quadrillion years to crack mine open :)

Kevin

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#4 OFFLINE   kfcrosby

kfcrosby

Godfather

• Registered
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

I have many accounts online. No way to keep up with the passwords, security questions and answers, etc. for each of them except to write them down. I know you are not supposed to do that, but, when you are 69 you do not have a choice.

Or you can always use something like LastPass

https://lastpass.com/

Kevin Crosby
Memphis, TN
DirecTV subscriber since 1996

#5 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:21 AM

Good...

Th3s3Rn0tTh3dr0!dsY0urL00k!ng4 is still safe.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#6 OFFLINE   Carl Spock

Carl Spock

Superfly

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,567 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

My password strength varies by the site.

For a site like this, it's easy. I use the same password for all of my forums. Right now it's an unusual, probably not in the dictionary, word but it was a common five letter word for over a decade.

The password to sign onto my Wi-Fi is a similarly easily remembered word that even ties into the network's name. You give that to friends when they come over. It should be easy for everyone to remember. I live in a small enough town where being relaxed isn't a problem. Heck, my neighbor has a wide open network. I could sign onto his today.

My bank ones? Capitals, lower case letters, symbols and numbers. And long. Long is the best bet.
hangin' with the bros at 40 Eridani A

#7 OFFLINE   dmurphy

dmurphy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Good way to check...

Kevin

You mean a website where I can enter and transmit my supposedly "secure" password and send it in cleartext?

Sign me up!

#8 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good way to check...

Kevin

Amateur :)
My GMail password:
3 quintillion quinquagintillion years

And that's before working on the required two factor.
Of course even one quadrillion years is many many times older than the age of the Universe. I set mine like I did more for fun, not for any real practical reason. And I didn't even set it to GMail's max length. But, since all the other sites have that as my email, any password resets go there, so I wanted to make sure it was one of my most secure. Then I set the recovery address for Gmail to a randomly generated (as much as email addresses can be) address on a different provider, with a random password.

I highly recommend LastPass as well. It really does "set you free." No longer having to remember which password is used where, with the various stupid requirements sites throw at you. "Must be a secure password, but cannot use symbols." "Cannot be more than 8 characters", etc.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

You mean a website where I can enter and transmit my supposedly "secure" password and send it in cleartext?

Sign me up!

That's not how the site works. Everything is done on the local system in Javascript. They never get the password.

Besides if your password is say: !K8z83l&*XBJ#y, you'd get the same answer as to security if you put !K9zg32&*XnJ#r and there would be too many differences to figure out.

#10 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:46 AM

My password strength varies by the site.

For a site like this, it's easy. I use the same password for all of my forums. Right now it's an unusual, probably not in the dictionary, word but it was a common five letter word for over a decade.

The password to sign onto my Wi-Fi is a similarly easily remembered word that even ties into the network's name. You give that to friends when they come over. It should be easy for everyone to remember. I live in a small enough town where being relaxed isn't a problem. Heck, my neighbor has a wide open network. I could sign onto his today.

My bank ones? Capitals, lower case letters, symbols and numbers. And long. Long is the best bet.

Keep in mind, these days there are a large number of wi-fi networks that are easy to get into even with WPA2 encryption and no need to figure out the passcode.

As for banks, be careful. I know with Chase, case doesn't matter in the password field. They switch everything to lowercase. So if the password is QweRtY (or at least you think it is), they'll accept qwerty, qWerTY etc all as valid. Guess it's to reduce calls to customer service when someone leaves cap lock on...

#11 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

As for banks, be careful. I know with Chase, case doesn't matter in the password field. They switch everything to lowercase. So if the password is QweRtY (or at least you think it is), they'll accept qwerty, qWerTY etc all as valid. Guess it's to reduce calls to customer service when someone leaves cap lock on...

I bet it had more to do with easier password entry on Mobile Devices...
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#12 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:52 AM

Maybe. Still don't like it, or any other restrictions that aren't a minimum requirement. Google's max is 200 characters, that I am fine with.

#13 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

Good way to check...

Kevin

Hmmmm. Except for the folks who have access to the PW you put in there. Then it'll take about ten seconds...:sure:
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#14 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,230 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 October 2012 - 10:57 AM

Good...

Th3s3Rn0tTh3dr0!dsY0urL00k!ng4 is still safe.

It would take a desktop PC about 3 duodecillion years to crack your password

Yeah, that's secure.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:00 AM

Amateur :)
My GMail password:
3 quintillion quinquagintillion years

Very impressive!

However, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I can't imagine why anyone would want access to my e-mail on Google, and if they did get it, can't imagine what harm they could do with it.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hmmmm. Except for the folks who have access to the PW you put in there. Then it'll take about ten seconds...:sure:

How would they? It still works with no connection to the Internet. It's all javascript. That's client side, not server side.

Though I guess they could be hacked themselves, the site changed etc.

Edited by dpeters11, 24 October 2012 - 11:07 AM.

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,342 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

Very impressive!

However, I am at the opposite end of the spectrum. I can't imagine why anyone would want access to my e-mail on Google, and if they did get it, can't imagine what harm they could do with it.

If it's where sites send the emails when you hit a forgot my password link, it can do quite a bit of harm if they get in, or if it's what you have your primary email recovery address set to.

#18 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

7. letmein (up 1)

This puzzled me for a bit, not being a word I knew, and thinking it looked sorta Germanic. Then, duh! it hit me. Or ithitme. :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,454 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

How would they? It still works with no connection to the Internet. It's all javascript. That's client side, not server side.

Though I guess they could be hacked themselves, the site changed etc.

Yes, I see that the guesstimates can be all client side, but how do we know the site isn't passing on the entry at some point? I have no reason to suspect it, but it's certainly possible to do.

#20 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

There are apps that can store passwords for you. All you have to remember is the password to the app. :)
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

spam firewall