Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Most common passwords 2012

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Yes, but if their database is ever hacked, every single Fidelity password would very easily be cracked. Capital One's passwords aren't case sensitive. There is just no good reason for it.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,093 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 18 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

And I would expect the passwords in the database to be encrypted with additional keys from your information.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#53 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

Yeah, that alone just isn't good enough to make me comfortable, but for my HSA, i'm required to use them for pretax deposits from my pay. But then I use two factor whereever I can. No one should be prevented from choosing a random mixed case 20 character password with symbols. If the passwords are hashed and salted properly, there is no reason to not allow it.

#54 OFFLINE   billsharpe

billsharpe

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,370 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:56 PM

I think Fidelity's password policy is the worst I've ever seen. Even to log in online, it's all based on a phone compatible password. So for the letter b in a password, the system will accept a,b, c or the number 2. And of course it's case insensitive.

That's enough reason to make your password lengthy and not a combination of real words. First letters of phrases or sentences that you can easily remember (but no one else can) work well. Put in a number 4 instead of an F for "for", as an example.

The sites I dislike are the ones that limit the length of your password to 8 or 10 characters.

And which is the better password -- 00000000, 12345, EGBDF (for a musician), LETMEIN, or PASSWORD?

Bill

Family room: Sony Bravia KDL-40SL130
Living room: Sceptre 32 inch

#55 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

That's enough reason to make your password lengthy and not a combination of real words. First letters of phrases or sentences that you can easily remember (but no one else can) work well. Put in a number 4 instead of an F for "for", as an example.

The sites I dislike are the ones that limit the length of your password to 8 or 10 characters.

And which is the better password -- 00000000, 12345, EGBDF (for a musician), LETMEIN, or PASSWORD?

But that's the point, it doesn't matter how complex the password is. In Fidelity's case, the max length is 12 characters, minimum 6. Since it accepts 4 different options for each character in the password as valid, that reduces the entropy.

Now, I did just log in and it looks like they added a secret answer portion. Two of the four allow up to 31 characters, one only takes 10, and the last only allows a 4 digit number.  :bang

#56 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,065 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 18 January 2014 - 04:35 PM

Back in the early 1970s, before "control" characters were widely used, if someone entered their system into Dartmouth's time sharing system, the characters would actually get typed on the teletype paper and then the teletype would take over and type maybe half a dozen characters over each.  A friend of mine used to be able to evenly erase the overstrikes and retrieve those passwords.  He could also end long distance telephone calls by whistling 1,300 cycles into the phone.

#57 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 13,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

I actually have a Captain Crunch whistle, the one that could be used to get into the system.

#58 OFFLINE   Cyber36

Cyber36

Legend

• Registered
  • 274 posts
  • LocationByron NY

Posted 20 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

I have the Pierre LaFoote version...... :hurah:

#59 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

• Registered
  • 3,141 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 02:57 PM

I actually have a Captain Crunch whistle, the one that could be used to get into the system.

2600!

"Belligerent and numerous."

SlingTV, Tablo and Plex to Roku 3s and Chromecasts on a Vizio 42" in the living room and a Toshiba 32" in my bedroom. Xbox 360 client on a Westinghouse 42" in the game room. Tablets EVERYWHERE!

I used to update the Dish Network FAQ but not anymore.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...