Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Backup series manager to Directv

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:40 PM

Does anybody know if Directv is going to offer us to backup our series manager to their servers? Like when we get an new DVR, instead of going through at setting each shows that we want to record, the unit can download our series manager and program the DVR for us. Is it possible to do this now, or are we waiting for Directv to offer the feature?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

It's something we've been asking for on this site for close to 7 years, but no. I keep mine in a google doc.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#3 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:04 PM

I don't see why they can't add it in onto our online guide, when we log onto our accounts.

#4 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

i have been asking for this also for what seems like ions.... What the heck is the problem getting something so simple up is beyond me...

#5 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:03 PM

i have been asking for this also for what seems like ions.... What the heck is the problem getting something so simple up is beyond me...

My guess is it's not as simple as it might seem.

I'd rather have IP control of everything, but that doesn't seem to be happening either. The iPad app is excellent; just wish it would go further, but we must be bumping into some internal DIRECTV® mandates to not go in certain directions.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#6 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:26 PM

TiVo has been doing it for a while. Unless it's patented it can't be that difficult.

#7 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:28 PM

TiVo has been doing it for a while. Unless it's patented it can't be that difficult.

Do TiVo patents really matter? DirecTV has had an agreement with them for years.

#8 OFFLINE   mrro82

mrro82

Legend

• Registered
  • 546 posts
  • LocationThumb web of the mitten :>)

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:31 PM

Do TiVo patents really matter? DirecTV has had an agreement with them for years.

Maybe. Maybe not. I would say yes considering how it isn't implemented yet.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:59 PM

Not necessarily.

#10 OFFLINE   Datagg

Datagg

Legend

• Registered
  • 247 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:40 PM

Maybe. Maybe not. I would say yes considering how it isn't implemented yet.

I would love to believe that, but im leaning more on the side of laziness, cost and not listening to there customers.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:46 PM

I would love to believe that, but im leaning more on the side of laziness, cost and not listening to there customers.

There are definitely times they have listened to us as customers. But I also know of times where listening to customers is not the right thing to do, and in one more extreme example, pretty much ruined the company. How long did we ask for DLB, MRV and HDGUI? Seems to me, a long time. They eventually came.

We don't know what the future holds, either the rest of the year, or 2013.

#12 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 24 October 2012 - 09:23 PM

I don't see why they can't add it in onto our online guide, when we log onto our accounts.

The line I have heard frequently to the point I know it by heart - DirecTV doesn't have the resources to implement that feature.

BTW, I too use Google Doc Spreadsheets for my DirecTV records.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#13 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,789 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

I use good old fashioned Excel...

DIRECTV is definitely behind the times on this. Comcast, Time Warner, Fios, and TiVo all have online content management, with ability to view playlists, to do lists, and series managers. TiVo even lets users with multiple DVRs move Series Links (Season Passes) from one DVR to another from the browser.

I don't know the number of households with internet-connected DIRECTV receivers, but I'd guess it's not an insignificant number. I'd love to have that ability to open a browser anywhere in the world and be able to see what's scheduled to record tonight or as a series, and to move them from one DVR to another? That would be awesome...

#14 OFFLINE   toobs

toobs

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 405 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I came from Time Warner and live in Orange County, CA, just south from Los Angeles and Directv is much better than what I had before. I had TWC over a decade and each upgrade, the service got worse. I don't know if it's just my area or just my home, but I kept missing shows after shows because of DVR error and I kept exchanging boxes after boxes. Finally, I got fed up and ended up getting Directv and so far, so good.

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,644 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

I don't know the number of households with internet-connected DIRECTV receivers, but I'd guess it's not an insignificant number. I'd love to have that ability to open a browser anywhere in the world and be able to see what's scheduled to record tonight or as a series, and to move them from one DVR to another? That would be awesome...

Oh, yeah. That would be indeed. I wouldn't mind it being limited to registered devices, either, though the browser anywhere could be a nice bonus. Security differences?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,036 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

It's something we've been asking for on this site for close to 7 years, but no. I keep mine in a google doc.

Well with the addition of adding shows one year in advance, something needs to be done NOW about the ridiculous low limit in Series Manager.

Either increase the limit. Or do some other type storage for programs on hiatus and for programs that wont air for weeks in the future.
DREW
Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR24-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

Protected By... spam firewall...And...