Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM not connected / New Dish

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi Guys,

I am helping my friend in Seattle (i live in Canada myself) to setup a Directv SWM3 dish for his new place, anyways long story short, we got a new dish / and HR24, now before i start aligning the dish i usually like to make sure all the wires / switch etc are all good ,

i turn on the receiver and get error 711A (which based on my research is receiver not finding sat) no surprise here since dish is not alighned yet, what bothers me is when i go and do receiver selfcheck to make sure the splitter and PI and all working i get SWM NOT DETECTED error code 51-514 now i checked the voltage on my cable its 20.65 and everything as far as i can tell is plugged in, not sure why the receiver not detecting the SWM lnb,

do i have a bad LNB? the reason i want to make sure its all set before i align the dish , the dish is in a REALLY bad place and is a PAIN to adjust i hate to go up there before knowing my cables / switch / lnb etc is working.

Thank you for all your help.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:12 AM

If the power was plugged into the receiver before the coax was connected you will get this error.
Try unplugging the PI, wait a minute and plug it back in.
If that does not work, try unplugging the HR24 and wait a minute, then plug it back in.
Did you make sure the splitter, if you used one, has the power passing port in the coax line with the PI ?

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#3 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:23 AM

If the power was plugged into the receiver before the coax was connected you will get this error.
Try unplugging the PI, wait a minute and plug it back in.
If that does not work, try unplugging the HR24 and wait a minute, then plug it back in.
Did you make sure the splitter, if you used one, has the power passing port in the coax line with the PI ?

thanks for the response,. yeah i tried all that, still same error, removed the splitter, same thing, so you dont this has anything to so with the fact that the dish is not aligned? correct?

#4 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

thanks for the response,. yeah i tried all that, still same error, removed the splitter, same thing, so you dont this has anything to so with the fact that the dish is not aligned? correct?

I really do not know. The 771"A" error is just supposed to be a problem communicating with the dish.

One of the more experienced posters, maybe an installer will come along and give you an answer to your problem.

SWM Not Detected - The receiver cannot detect the presence of a SWM on the coax network. The receiver is unable to use any tuners for Live TV or Recordings. The SWM requires that a power inserter be plugged into an electrical outlet. Please check that the power inserter has not been unplugged. Select "Test Again" to see if this has resolved the issue. If this doesn't work then please call Customer Service at 1-800-531-5000 and report the diagnostic code displayed above. Diagnostic Code: 51 The OSD also has a Recheck SWiM button to check for a SWiM installation. H / HR 24s and higher only

Probable Cause:
There's no SWiM network present.
For some reason the SWiM isn't communicating with the network.

DirecTV customer since 1996 - Current :Slimline 3 SWM,   HR24-100 HDMI to 32" Sharp LED,
HR24-100 Component cables to 46" Samsung LCD & Optical Cable to Yamaha AVR, H21-200 HDMI to Yamaha AVR & HDMI to 52" Mitsubishi LCD

#5 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:07 PM

thanks for the help, from what i have been googling, once you are on the sat setup and u see Sat 99 if you hit "-" to go down you should see SWM i dont, it goes 103 for me and does not show 99

another question when i do the sat-setup, in Sat type i get #17 SWM 3, switch i can NOT change, Tuner it shows Dual, should this be single? does it make any difference?

Thank you,

#6 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I just tried the minus sign that you described. I was on the 101, moved the highlight to the minus sign, press the select button and the SWM came up next. If I am on 99c and press the select with it on the minus sign I get the 101. Cycle all the way thru them and see if the SWM comes up.

That is the correct dish selection for SWM and SWM sets by itself on this dish and multiswitch.

yes Dual Tuners is correct.

#7 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:27 PM

I just tried the minus sign that you described. I was on the 101, moved the highlight to the minus sign, press the select button and the SWM came up next. If I am on 99c and press the select with it on the minus sign I get the 101. Cycle all the way thru them and see if the SWM comes up.

That is the correct dish selection for SWM and SWM sets by itself on this dish and multiswitch.

yes Dual Tuners is correct.

Thanks, so i guess something is wrong with my setup because i dont get the SWM screen .... will try difference cables and report back.

#8 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:29 PM

Does the LNB on the dish have 4 places to connect coax cables or just 1 ?
The SWM LNB should only have 1.

#9 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 12:36 PM

Does the LNB on the dish have 4 places to connect coax cables or just 1 ?
The SWM LNB should only have 1.

just 1.

thx.

#10 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

It could be that is is just not aligned enough to get that signal.

#11 OFFLINE   west99999

west99999

Icon

• Registered
  • 917 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:32 PM

Is your cable attached to the lnb already?

#12 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:40 PM

thanks for the help, from what i have been googling, once you are on the sat setup and u see Sat 99 if you hit "-" to go down you should see SWM i dont, it goes 103 for me and does not show 99

another question when i do the sat-setup, in Sat type i get #17 SWM 3, switch i can NOT change, Tuner it shows Dual, should this be single? does it make any difference?

Thank you,

Id say just by the fact that when you turn on receiver and its not letting you change the swm3 you are good to go. After I hook up a dish and Im going around hooking up receivers , thats exactly what I look for. That means its detecting the SWM. The tuner needs to show dual , just like it is, unless you want a single tuner for some reason. So Id say you are good to go once you line up the dish and get some signal to it.

#13 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:26 PM

It could be that is is just not aligned enough to get that signal.

The fact that i get no SWM connected really bothers me, but i guess i have to go up and see

Is your cable attached to the lnb already?

yes its attached from PI to LNB and PI to receiver (made sure using correct ports) the LNB is INSIDE the house , as i said i am just testing to see if it all works before making the trip on the roof (its a nasty roof)

Id say just by the fact that when you turn on receiver and its not letting you change the swm3 you are good to go. After I hook up a dish and Im going around hooking up receivers , thats exactly what I look for. That means its detecting the SWM. The tuner needs to show dual , just like it is, unless you want a single tuner for some reason. So Id say you are good to go once you line up the dish and get some signal to it.

so i am abit disappointed, this is what i did now,

i Unplugged everything, turn on PI, wait 5 min, turn HR24 on WITHOUT connecting the PI to receiver cable, so HR24 was NOT connected to ANYTHING , got the usual 711 error and when entered the dishsetup

Dish Type : is #17 SWM3
Switch Type : SWM (grayed)
Tuner Dual

this is with NOTHING connected, then i turned everything above and this time connected PI to HR24 cable, in dishsetup, same it defaults to #17 but i can change !
so i changed it to #03-Slimline 3 and changed Switch type to SWM and hit RECHECK Switch, got "Can NOT detect SWM" :(:(

another thing is when i am in Signal meter i only have these as my options for Sattalite "103 cb , 103 ca , 99 c, 101" i do NOT get SWM ...

I would like to point out again the LNB is on the coach inside the house but i guess it doesnt matter right ? if the SWM is working the dish SHOULD pickup the switch atleast with no signal or Directv is different?

I have setup tons of Dishnetwork and i know in dishnetwork regardless of LNB pointed or not, receiver always detected the switch.

Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to your replies.

#14 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:57 PM

Turn everything off,
Connect the coax from the power inserter to the receiver,
Plug in the power to the power inserter,
plug in the power to the receiver.
The receiver using the SWM dish and the power inserter powered on will auto detect the correct dish and switch type when it starts up and you should not change that.
Try pointing the dish in the right direction with it outside of the house. See if you get anything on it.
Note: they are touchy to align.

#15 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:38 PM

The fact that i get no SWM connected really bothers me, but i guess i have to go up and see

yes its attached from PI to LNB and PI to receiver (made sure using correct ports) the LNB is INSIDE the house , as i said i am just testing to see if it all works before making the trip on the roof (its a nasty roof)

so i am abit disappointed, this is what i did now,

i Unplugged everything, turn on PI, wait 5 min, turn HR24 on WITHOUT connecting the PI to receiver cable, so HR24 was NOT connected to ANYTHING , got the usual 711 error and when entered the dishsetup

Dish Type : is #17 SWM3
Switch Type : SWM (grayed)
Tuner Dual

this is with NOTHING connected, then i turned everything above and this time connected PI to HR24 cable, in dishsetup, same it defaults to #17 but i can change !
so i changed it to #03-Slimline 3 and changed Switch type to SWM and hit RECHECK Switch, got "Can NOT detect SWM" :(:(

another thing is when i am in Signal meter i only have these as my options for Sattalite "103 cb , 103 ca , 99 c, 101" i do NOT get SWM ...

I would like to point out again the LNB is on the coach inside the house but i guess it doesnt matter right ? if the SWM is working the dish SHOULD pickup the switch atleast with no signal or Directv is different?

I have setup tons of Dishnetwork and i know in dishnetwork regardless of LNB pointed or not, receiver always detected the switch.

Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to your replies.

hmmmmm does your couch have a clearview of the southwest ?

#16 OFFLINE   wallfishman

wallfishman

Icon

• Registered
  • 509 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:02 PM

serious question... is the HR24 brand new , never been activated ? or was it previously hooked up to a swm system and working before ?

#17 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

serious question... is the HR24 brand new , never been activated ? or was it previously hooked up to a swm system and working before ?

It was on a SWM system and was working with no problem.

so today i went on the roof, tried for over 2 hours with no luck, i get ZERO signal in signal meter, nothing nada ! and in list of sattalites i do NOT get SWM.

I guess what i want to know is , is there anyway to TEST the LNB and SWM switch if you havnt aligned the dish? is there anyway to see if the dish even sees SWM ?

my problem is now i get no signal i dont know if its the LNB or the dish not being aligned ... should i get some signal feedback? i tried ALL and every possible angel with NOTHING :(

guys one more thing i checked the Voltage out of the PI is 20.22 is this close enough to 21?

any help is greatly appreciated.

#18 OFFLINE   jimmie57

jimmie57

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,606 posts
  • LocationTexas City, TX

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

I know nothing about signal meters except that lots of people never get a signal with a SWM system trying to use them.
I am going way out on a limb and specualting here:
I think the SWM signal numbers are generated once the system is aligned on the 101. Nobody ever talks in terms of this being a satellite.
Try using the signal strength screen on the TV with it set on the 101 until it gets a signal.

Any of the experts on here feel free to jump in here and lend a hand. Thanks.

#19 OFFLINE   Raul77

Raul77

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

I know nothing about signal meters except that lots of people never get a signal with a SWM system trying to use them.
I am going way out on a limb and specualting here:
I think the SWM signal numbers are generated once the system is aligned on the 101. Nobody ever talks in terms of this being a satellite.
Try using the signal strength screen on the TV with it set on the 101 until it gets a signal.

Any of the experts on here feel free to jump in here and lend a hand. Thanks.

thanks, yeah i tried 101 today but nothing, the problem is my receiver seem to not even detect SWM ! thats what I wanna check , with it connected to SWM and not receiver seem to act exactly the same !

#20 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,011 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:51 PM

I just did some testing with both an SWM3 LNB on the bench, an regular 5 LNB on the bench, and an SWM5 on the dish (with signal).

Started with working SWM with signal.
Switched to the bench SWM, pressed dash and got "SWM connected"
Switched to the non SWM on the bench, pressed dash and got "SWM connected"
Did an RBR (red button reset)
Went through Step 1 of 2, almost done, progress bar appeared and I got an error "There is a problem communicating with the satellite dish (775)"
Pressed Menu and went back into satellite dish setup. It showed it was set to SWM so I changed it to Slimeline 3, multiswitch, 1 tuner and pressed Continue.
Said "Verifying your configuration", no signal on tuner 2, pressed continue.
Said "you have completed dish setup", pressed continue
Tries to download guide, please wait, 0% complete and stays there.
Non-responsive to any remote button presses (menu, list, exit, anything).
Did an RBR (still hooked up to non-SWM)
Step 1 of 2, almost done, progress bar, "Searching for satellite signal (771)"
Pressed Menu, Sat Setup, showed Slimline 3, multiswitch (what it was last set to).
Changed it to SL5S (SWM) and pressed Continue.
Said "Verifying configuration"
Said "Sat signal could not be detected, please check installation and retest".
Went to sat setup and changed 1 tuner to 2 tuners and it went to downloading the program guide (no progress).
Disconnected the bench LNB and hooked the live SWM signal back up.
Immediately began to download guide data.

So, in summary, it appears it does not report what it is actually connected to, but rather what it was last set to. The only thing I saw through this entire process that might tell you what you have is the different error message (775 versus 771), but I don't know if that was because of the type of LNB it was actually connected to, or if it was because of what the satellite setup settings were set to.

I suspect from these tests that there is no way to tell if an LNB is good or bad unless it is in a properly aligned dish.

To your last question, 20.22 should be sufficient. Was that under load or open connector?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...