Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:02 AM

It looks like meterorologists are really spooked with this system, could be bigger than "The Perfect Storm" in 1991. Over 10 million could lose power in NY, NJ.

Hoping to see a special hurricane channel uplinked this weekend.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 385 posts
  • LocationWest Warwick, RI

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:03 AM

http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=209857

#3 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:11 AM

I'm discussing this from a programming point of view. Hoping they have their act together with their coverage this time.

#4 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

Yep.. looks like south central PA could really get socked...rain and/or snow. Should be interesting.
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#5 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 04:08 AM

Hoping to see a special hurricane channel uplinked this weekend.

You're hoping that a massively destructive hurricane hits the east coast, just for the entertainment value? Break out the popcorn!

I'd be hoping that the track map heads east, safely out into the Atlantic and that all that potential death and destruction is avoided.

:P
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#6 OFFLINE   TravelFan1

TravelFan1

Legend

• Registered
  • 209 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:54 AM

so do I - I thought one of the advantages of living in NYC Metro was that it wasn't that likely for a hurricane to hit, that we didn't have to deal with hurricanes, etc... I hope power doesn't go out for long, i just finish redoing my basement which was flooded during Irene. Now another b... is coming my way...

Rip: Comcast: July 2005 - April 2009 & Dish Network: April 2009-July 2011
Directv since June 2011 and loving it!
Directv wish list:BBC World News, Fox Deportes HD, WatchEspn, FoxSports2Go

#7 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I certainly don't want to see any destruction or lives lost, (I'm actually in the path in NY), but if the storm gets serious enough I'd like to see the local coverage of the storm. I got hit badly by Irene and wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm just a weather nut.

#8 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 09:56 AM

I was just teasing.

It may be fun to watch the silly weather guy on the beach trying to stand up in 100 mph+ winds and all the big waves and stuff. But people sometimes forget that these things are real - the destruction is real. There have already reports that dozens of people have been killed in the Caribbean.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#9 OFFLINE   Sea bass

Sea bass

Icon

• Registered
  • 659 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:24 PM

I was just teasing.

It may be fun to watch the silly weather guy on the beach trying to stand up in 100 mph+ winds and all the big waves and stuff. But people sometimes forget that these things are real - the destruction is real. There have already reports that dozens of people have been killed in the Caribbean.

The media is selling it as "Frankenstorm"

I can see the weather guy out in the storm in a halloween costume!

#10 OFFLINE   Red Dog

Red Dog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 02:45 PM

I just hope it doesn't effect my signal/power during Sunday football.

#11 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:30 PM

We're under the gun here BIG time.I'm right on the coast below NYC.Plus to add injury to insult I'm going to have to work during it !!!!

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#12 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 08:22 PM

We're under the gun here BIG time.I'm right on the coast below NYC.Plus to add injury to insult I'm going to have to work during it !!!!

Having weathered my share of hurricanes since Donna in 1960 (including covering Hurricane Earl for Ocean County Newswatch 8) and the infamous March 1962 storm while growing up on Long Beach Island, I know what it can be like, Jimmy. Stay safe!

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#13 OFFLINE   PrinceLH

PrinceLH

Godfather

• Registered
  • 473 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:48 PM

Yes, I'm watching here in Upper New York State. We've never had a real Hurricane in these parts, in my life, so yes, it is an interesting nature event.

#14 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:04 AM

I was just teasing.

It really is funny here in SoCal we had those silly weather people standing up to the win yesterday with 12 mph winds gusting up to 25 or 30. They were showing camera shots of a tree waving in the wind.

#15 OFFLINE   jamieh1

jamieh1

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:53 PM

Here in Eastern NC we are use to hurricanes. The last one was Irene last year. It was on a Cat 1 but did the most damage that I can remember in years. The problem was how long it took for it to move over NC. Over 24 hours. Power was out for a long time. Alot of folks still rebuilding after the flooding. Looks like we are gonna miss the brunt of this one. Its a little breezy now with lite rain, but storm is still well south of us. Hope all stays safe up north.

#16 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:50 PM

im supprized D* has not put up there dedicated weather channel up yet.
usually channel 325 is a dedicated channel with local news coverage.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#17 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,930 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 27 October 2012 - 07:51 PM

Maybe tomorrow or Monday.

#18 OFFLINE   lipcrkr

lipcrkr

Legend

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:20 PM

It really is funny here in SoCal we had those silly weather people standing up to the win yesterday with 12 mph winds gusting up to 25 or 30. They were showing camera shots of a tree waving in the wind.

I'm at the beach in So.Cal. and i actually saw a tree branch move.......and it was dark......oh, the humanity.
My thoughts are with those in or near the path. Hopefully the storm will veer out to the ocean.

#19 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,241 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 27 October 2012 - 08:58 PM

My wishes and hope for those who may be its victims are sent herewith. Boy that sounds stilted. I simply mean I hope no one ends up its victim.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#20 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:02 PM

i think tomorrow it will be near my area (VA BEACH).
that coverage of the hurricane in Louisianan earlier this year was good.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

Protected By... spam firewall...And...