Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 09:04 PM

Here is the latest forecast :D

Attached Thumbnails

• 407768_10151134903948208_158723341_n.jpg

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   skinnyJM

skinnyJM

Legend

• Registered
  • 118 posts
  • LocationDFW DMA

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:31 AM

im supprized D* has not put up there dedicated weather channel up yet.
usually channel 325 is a dedicated channel with local news coverage.

They'll probably wait until the local coverage goes continuous (full time).

DIRECTV since April 2000.

#23 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:42 AM

I think they have to obtain written permission from each network they plan to show, which may take some time as well.

#24 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,983 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

I was just teasing.

It may be fun to watch the silly weather guy on the beach trying to stand up in 100 mph+ winds and all the big waves and stuff. But people sometimes forget that these things are real - the destruction is real. There have already reports that dozens of people have been killed in the Caribbean.

We have a saying here in South where we are more prone to the storms that if Jim Cantore (TWC/NBC) shows up in our neighborhood, we're doomed.

But all kidding aside, having been though a number of these where we do have lots of practive preparing I am wishing for everyone's safety up north. The tides and cold front all timing at the worst possible time make this weak Cat 1 storm more than people can likely prepare for.

Good luck to all and stock up on drinking water, fuel up the cars now, and while you may have a generator for power, don't overlook a few quarts of oil. Generators burn oil too. I've had neighbors with gas and generators shutting down due to low oil.

And last but not least, if you have a portable generator please make sure its at least 10' from the house with the wind blowing away from the house. Carbon monoxide fumes are deadly. Terraces and garages are not acceptable for engines to run.

#25 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:15 PM

very true, local channels here still airing normal programing here.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#26 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:37 PM

Most likely; WNBC seems to be ready to pull the trigger, but I'm certain they won't dump SNF tonight. WCBS & WABC both seem pretty close as well.

I just got word from my folks at work that WUSA in Washington is planning to begin their wall-to-wall programming at 4 am Monday. I'm sure the other broadcasters in the region will do much the same thing.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#27 OFFLINE   Unknown

Unknown

Godfather

• Registered
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 05:58 PM

ABC 7 out of New York is wall to wall coverage, there network programming is on channel 7.2

#28 OFFLINE   Dude111

Dude111

Legend

• Registered
  • 501 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Here is the latest forecast :D

Im sorry Phil but this is NOTHING TO CRACK JOKES ABOUT!!

#29 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,635 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:55 PM

Oh, chill. That picture is being shared and laughed at by people living under the bubble.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#30 OFFLINE   rcodey

rcodey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

ABC 7 out of New York is wall to wall coverage, there network programming is on channel 7.2

At 8pm Sunday they went to the Network programming.

#31 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:55 PM

Their "service" twitter account says that they have no plans for a hurricane coverage channel right now. "Keep watching the guide" in case we do!

#32 OFFLINE   rcodey

rcodey

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

WCAU CH.10(NBC) Philadelphia has continuous coverage.

#33 OFFLINE   Richard

Richard

Legend

• Registered
  • 212 posts
  • LocationSouth Texas

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:07 AM

Why not? If these people choose to live somewhere that has a potential of being hit by a hurricane, they have no one else to blame but themselves. I see nothing wrong with making fun of them. Especially the ones that think they should get handouts from the government for their own poor choices.

#34 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 546 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:29 AM

Why not? If these people choose to live somewhere that has a potential of being hit by a hurricane, they have no one else to blame but themselves. I see nothing wrong with making fun of them. Especially the ones that think they should get handouts from the government for their own poor choices.

What about other areas? "Remove hurricane insert other calamity here?"

Everybody lives with some dangerous condition in their midst...
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#35 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:56 AM

The channels are in the guide as of 6:55am. 325 and 349. It says "Stay Tuned for Hurricane Sandy Coverage".

#36 OFFLINE   dtv757

dtv757

Icon

• Registered
  • 757 posts
  • Location757

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:06 AM

The channels are in the guide as of 6:55am. 325 and 349. It says "Stay Tuned for Hurricane Sandy Coverage".

yay! i usually watch this channel if my signal goes out.

DIRECTV customer since SEPT 2000 (1) Genie (2) Genie Mini's (1) HR22-100 (1) HR23-700 all networked, total 10 live tunners!!-------------
SAYING NO TO CABLE .. PRICELESS
There’s good TV there’s better TV and than there’s DIRECTV (the undisputed sports & HD leader in TV)
NOTE: my comments are my own personal options and in no way shape or form represent my employer

#37 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,115 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

South Texas has no potential of natural disaster?

#38 ONLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,879 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:42 AM

South Texas has no potential of natural disaster?

South Texas even gets hurricanes, just ask Galveston.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#39 OFFLINE   Santi360HD

Santi360HD

Icon

• Registered
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNew York City

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:56 AM

Saw no effect yesterday at all in regards to network programming moving over to digital alternates here in NYC

Local Fox affiliate had the world series
Local NBC had the Saints/Broncos game
noticed ABC & My Network had their respective broadcasts
CBS had programming then the 11pm news was for an hour instead of 30 mins

as for this morning shows..few changes

WCBS-2 has the network CBS Morning show (not local)
Channel 55 also under the CBS Flag has the CBS network Show also
so both channels airing the same, probably were guessing the main CBS station would be doing local news..they're not
**UPDATE 8AM HITS and network programming switched to CH 55..NY CBS affiliate now doing their local news

WNBC-4 has their local broadcast..no Today show

FOX-5 has their local morning show

WABC-7 has the network GMA, no local news

and My Network WWOR-9 affiliate has a FOX ownership and is showing local FOX
so two channels showing identical same broadcast

CW affilate WPIX here has no network morning weekday shows..so their local news has been airing a while now even late last night past 11pm, wouldn't be surprised to see some syndicated shows get the boot for local news..so I'll miss out on my Maury,Jerry Springer fix..hah hah

all 3 PBS Affliates ..showing local NJ News aka NJ-Today...interrupts their local Kid shows frequently
WNET-13
WLIW-21
WNJN-50

Edited by Santi360HD, 29 October 2012 - 06:05 AM.

#40 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 07:17 AM

Those channels now live with WABC and NBC 10 and a CBS Station so far

Edited by LMckin, 29 October 2012 - 07:42 AM.

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

Protected By... spam firewall...And...