Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 11:54 AM

Not all employees were there.

Probably just those that could make it to the studio went in.
Letterman's top ten list was interesting.
They had a guy hold up each of the ten to show just above Dave's desk.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Not all employees were there.

And most likely it was voluntary, and they would have been required to stay the night after the show was done.... as they couldn't get home anyways. CBS Studios in New York is a 24/7 operation, and the local CBS affiliate probably broadcasts from the same building.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#103 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:00 PM

Hurricane Sandy broadcasts is on all my locals.

So unless Castle & Revolution rebroadcast sometime this week, I'll probably miss both episodes.

I get the LA and NY DNS networks. So I just recorded the left coast versions for whatever program I needed. :)
I could have recorded my locals, but they had a bottom banner showing closings.
DirecTV since '96, Waivers for ABC, CBS, NBC, & Fox, HR23-700 & HR24-500/AM21, using ethernet based MRV.

#104 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

We lost our HD locals last night, so I was left to record left coast for my shows (though I wish I'd had DNS CWs for last night). More proof that allowing DNS across the board is beneficial to everyone and should be allowed universally.
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#105 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:37 PM

We lost our HD locals last night, so I was left to record left coast for my shows (though I wish I'd had DNS CWs for last night). More proof that allowing DNS across the board is beneficial to everyone and should be allowed universally.

Will never happen. Everyone will DVR/Watch their big shows from the east coast DNS, and the west coast affiliates are going to lose huge amounts of advertising income.

Think back to the Olympics. Think about real-time reality contests like American Idol. Everyone would WANT to watch those at the same time as the east coast (or at the very least record them and watch them at maybe a half hour delay), but the BIG losers are going to be the west coast affiliates with their local advertising income.

If I got east coast DNS.... I would record everything from east coast DNS, and never watch the west coast local affiliates again. Think about it, I would be coming home around 6:00, and the first show that started at 8:00 PM EST/ 5:00 PST would already be on the DVR. No waiting, skip the commercials.

There would be outrage, crying, and massive protests from every affiliate west of the Mississippi.

What I do see happen, is maybe a "Universal Repeats Channel", where the prime time shows from the main DNS networks are repeated on perhaps odd hours or perhaps days later so that those without the capability of VOD can watch a missed show due to big outages.... or even something as simple as a recording conflict.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#106 OFFLINE   mhking

mhking

Icon

• Registered
  • 545 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:47 PM

What I do see happen, is maybe a "Universal Repeats Channel", where the prime time shows from the main DNS networks are repeated on perhaps odd hours or perhaps days later so that those without the capability of VOD can watch a missed show due to big outages.... or even something as simple as a recording conflict.

Of course, everyone on this end of the country uses the left coast locals to record conflicted programming... [shrug] A big advantage to Canadian satellite, I guess. I wish ours were more forgiving to the viewers as opposed to the pockets of the networks. Ah, well. More reason for me to use Hulu on my Roku... [sigh]
Wish list of channels for D*: C-Span 3; BBC World News; Sky News International; CBC Newsworld; France24; EuroNews; Eurosportnews; Setanta Sports News; ABC News 24 (Australia); Australia Network (soon to be ABC Asia Pacific); Al Jazeera English; Russia Today; NHK World; DW-TV -- Heck, how about an entire English-language international tier so I don't have to keep switching to my Roku?

#107 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

Hurricane Sandy broadcasts is on all my locals.

So unless Castle & Revolution rebroadcast sometime this week, I'll probably miss both episodes.

I have all my "can't miss" shows, from locals, recording via OTA on an AM21 for situations just like this. This is only about the 2nd time it's come in handy but it's nice to have that ability. I got both Castle and Revolution without issue.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#108 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:18 PM

What's actually slightly disturbing.... is how spoiled we have become. If a hurricane would have hit in 1982, and you missed the show because your local antenna blew over.... YOU SIMPLY MISSED THE SHOW. And maybe next week's show too if they didn't get it repaired in time.

In the mean time... there is an estimated $20 Billion in damage, and over 35 people lost their lives..... but that all happened far enough from our beds we worry about that missed TV show instead. I think we need to step back a little actually.... but that is my personal opinion.

In another topic (although I am pretty sure it was sarcastic) someone was asking what DirecTV was going to give us as compensation for losing locals in the storm area due to a fiber breach.

If we don't get our instant gratification, we get upset, offended, and demand compensation. Perhaps it's time to just read a book instead.... or play a computer game if your electricity still works, and not worry about a silly television program. The world will move on, and this storm is a LOT to move on from.

I am the Stig.

#109 OFFLINE   jdspencer

jdspencer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:41 PM

In another topic (although I am pretty sure it was sarcastic) someone was asking what DirecTV was going to give us as compensation for losing locals in the storm area due to a fiber breach. ....

How much compensation would that be? My guess would be about $0.02 per channel affected per day of outage.

#110 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

How much compensation would that be? My guess would be about $0.02 per channel affected per day of outage.

Well, the locals always give the argument of "pennies a day" when renegotiating because it doesn't sound much. Perhaps with losing 4 or 5 locals.... maybe $0.25 a day.

Like I said in the other topic. If you call, maybe they'll give you $5 off for the month and a free PPV movie.

Hey, if that makes you feel happy..... so be it. :D

I am the Stig.

#111 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,077 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 October 2012 - 02:12 PM

What's actually slightly disturbing.... is how spoiled we have become. If a hurricane would have hit in 1982, and you missed the show because your local antenna blew over.... YOU SIMPLY MISSED THE SHOW. And maybe next week's show too if they didn't get it repaired in time.

That happened to us in December of 1989. WRAL, the Raleigh, NC CBS affiliate, was knocked off the air when a severe ice storm caused the station's tower to collapse. Almost immediately, WRAL cut a deal with WKFT, an independant channel in Fayetteville, NC (now WUVC-TV), that allowed WRAL to return to the air in only three hours. WKFT ran the entire WRAL schedule until the new tower was launched on October 25, 1990. While I could receive the WRAL programs from WKFT, WKFT was a much weaker station, so many areas that were within WRAL's normal coverage area could not get CBS for 10 months while the new tower was being built.

#112 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure TX handles it like we do here in FL. Total panic and chaos but at least everyone knows what to do.

Unlike NY...

http://www.buzzfeed....-for-the-last-h

I've never seen so many people with plywood in my life. They don't have a mayor in Galveston, some other title, but he stuck to his guns as we were making our way to the airport. Kinda sets you back to hear some saying if you are on the causeway to Galveston, and the storm hits, you're gonna die. If you stay on Galveston, you will die. (Paraphrasing here). Most honest thing I've ever heard a politician say.

Rich

#113 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:43 PM

This is unbelievable...
"Sandy" shark??? In New Jersey neighborhood.

Sand shark, won't hurt you. Believe that, I gotta bridge to sell.

Seriously, we had more sharks in the water this summer than I've ever seen. People were taking pictures of them from the beaches. Saw a hammerhead and a feeding frenzy. Saw a lot of people in the water, tho.

Rich

#114 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,794 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:09 PM

I've never seen so many people with plywood in my life. They don't have a mayor in Galveston, some other title, but he stuck to his guns as we were making our way to the airport. Kinda sets you back to hear some saying if you are on the causeway to Galveston, and the storm hits, you're gonna die. If you stay on Galveston, you will die. (Paraphrasing here). Most honest thing I've ever heard a politician say.

Rich

That's pretty much the attitude down here regarding Palm Beach. If you're on the island you're on your own and we hope you have picked out a plot.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#115 OFFLINE   acostapimps

acostapimps

Hall Of Famer

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:32 PM

My condolences goes out to the families of the lost loved ones and everybody affected in the NE, wish everybody well in the recovery !pride

#116 OFFLINE   Drucifer

Drucifer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,851 posts
  • LocationNY Hudson Valley

Posted 30 October 2012 - 08:44 PM

Long Islanders are already in an uproar when they spot a LIPA gang having a meal.

DREW

Do it Right, Do it Once
LR: HR34-7, Den: HR24-1, MB: HR24-5, Bsm: HR21-2, Kit: H25-5
PrimeStar '95, DirecTV  '00

#117 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,451 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 31 October 2012 - 06:59 AM

Long Islanders are already in an uproar when they spot a LIPA gang having a meal.

My neighbor, who's still coping with the idea of owning his own house, had a huge tree come down in his front yard. He quickly called the Public Works department and was assured it would be taken care of quickly. Two gangs of fully equipped tree removers working already. Meanwhile, I'm cutting a tree that was blocking access to our court into pieces and stacking the pieces on the apron. He'll have that tree laying in his yard for a week or two the way our PW guys work.

All I lost were three trees, already chopped up and ready for pickup. Couple short power outages, no flooding, the river remained calm and didn't overflow the banks at all. And a huge chunk of sidewalk where the tree fell into the court. Not nearly as bad as I expected.

Rich

#118 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'm at my beach house in Delaware, where everyone was evacuated. Took almost 2 days for me to be able to get back in after making a run for it on Monday when the waves were crashing under my house. I had to wade through 4 feet of water for half a mile before a photographer picked me up and brought me north to a hotel lobby where I spent Monday night. All the roads in and out of here were under 5 feet of water Tuesday morning. The roads were all closed in and out of the town, including the main bridge due to flooding. My house held up good, the main dune protecting it took the brunt of the wave action. The overwash still got in and battered my stilts, but nothing major. Now it's time to shovel the 3 feet of sand on my walkways and decks! Has anybody seen my satellite dish? Ripped the wiring right off the house!

#119 OFFLINE   LakeSteve

LakeSteve

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

And most likely it was voluntary, and they would have been required to stay the night after the show was done.... as they couldn't get home anyways. CBS Studios in New York is a 24/7 operation, and the local CBS affiliate probably broadcasts from the same building.

Letterman records from the Ed Sullivan Theater, not the CBS studios. The final touches to the show are put together in the CBS studios. They tape the shows in the early afternoon Monday-Thursday. They tape two shows on Thursday since Dave doesn't work Fridays unless it's newsworthy. It was a regular work day for most. Plenty of time to get back home afterwards.

CBS books hotels across the street for important technical staff during snow storms, etc. I'm sure they did the same for Monday. Sounds like they used cue cards instead of graphics just for fun even though they had people there.

#120 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:38 AM

That happened to us in December of 1989. WRAL, the Raleigh, NC CBS affiliate, was knocked off the air when a severe ice storm caused the station's tower to collapse. Almost immediately, WRAL cut a deal with WKFT, an independant channel in Fayetteville, NC (now WUVC-TV), that allowed WRAL to return to the air in only three hours. WKFT ran the entire WRAL schedule until the new tower was launched on October 25, 1990. While I could receive the WRAL programs from WKFT, WKFT was a much weaker station, so many areas that were within WRAL's normal coverage area could not get CBS for 10 months while the new tower was being built.

This happened in the country I am originally from in 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzOFb0e1YtE

It's in Dutch - a 305m high (950ft) television and radio broadcasting tower caught on fire all the way on the top due to equipment/electricity failure. Unable to really get up there besides trying some stuff with helicopters, the fire department really can't do anything but wait it out.... the heat gets too high, and the metal buckles.... causing the entire structure to collapse. You can't understand the language (probably) but go to 0:45 - a Policewoman is giving an update to the situation to a local TV station (which broadcasts from that same antenna :D ), and seconds later the whole thing collapses.

The military came in the next day and set up 3 or 4 temporary 100m towers across the region, and it also took about 10 months for the towers to be rebuilt.

I am the Stig.

spam firewall