Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hurricane Sandy

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,788 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

My condolences goes out to the families of the lost loved ones and everybody affected in the NE, wish everybody well in the recovery !pride

It really looks like everyone stepped up on this one, including all politicians. Romney really couldn't do much as he isn't IN government right now, but kudos go to NJ Governor Chris Christie and President Obama for stepping up to the plate and putting all the right resources in place.

But the most kudos go out to the thousands upon thousands of firemen, police officers, National Guard members and our military for being there for the people that needed them most.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   pablo

pablo

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

Still without power here, since Monday afternoon, and could be another week. Very unreliable cell service. Obviously, TV is not a major concern, but catching up on up to two weeks of missed shows should be daunting once we're back to civilization.

#123 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,459 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:25 PM

Do you have a Generator? I'm buying one for my house in case of a power outage.
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#124 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:48 AM

Did you see how the USAF is airlifting California utility trucks and workers to the affected area? http://abcnews.go.co...-sandy-repairs/

#125 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:46 AM

I'm gonna get a big one for the house. PITA using the small ones. Figure around 6 grand for a decent sized one. Gotta do the research, I'll let you know which one I decide on. Might get a natural gas powered genny. Gonna take a while for things to settle down here, but I will get back with some choices as soon as I can get in contact with some people I know who have them. Have no phone service at the moment.

Rich

#126 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Did you see how the USAF is airlifting California utility trucks and workers to the affected area? http://abcnews.go.co...-sandy-repairs/

Tie up one of those small carriers and you could get a lot of juice from them. If there's anything left to tie one up to.

Rich

#127 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

Here's a link from good old 101.5, they have posted a bunch of photos of the damage.

Kinda unbelievable, I've been to most of those places and I can hardly recognize anything. It will never be the same.

Rich

#128 OFFLINE   tomspeer46

tomspeer46

Legend

• Registered
  • 167 posts
  • LocationEastern NC and Adirondack Mtns, NY

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Just remember to test it every year. I bought a portable generator in 1992. In September 1998 it saved us during a 7 day outage due to a severe local windstorm. I let it sit until last year when the remnants of Hurricane Irene were approaching Northern NY. It took me a couple of hours of tweaking to get it running right the day before the storm hit.

An interesting note: I screwed up the speed governor trying to get it running, so that it was producing power at too high a frequency. I had MIT grad student working on his PhD. in Electrical and Computer Engineering visiting that weekend. I challenged him to figure out a way to synchronize the frequency of the generator to that of the commercial power (that was still on). While I worked on something else, he developed a plan to use the microphone on his laptop to input to a Fast Fourier Transform program to analyze the frequency of the exhaust tone from the engine. He couldn't quite make it work. Then I took a little electricians neon test light and connected it between the hot legs of the generator and the house power, and adjusted the generator speed until it stopped flashing. (The light flashes at the rate of the frequency difference). Old tech beats new tech!

Edited by tomspeer46, 02 November 2012 - 08:20 AM.

The Avatar is my curious neighborhood Otter.
My setup

#129 OFFLINE   Newshawk

Newshawk

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

That happened to us in December of 1989. WRAL, the Raleigh, NC CBS affiliate, was knocked off the air when a severe ice storm caused the station's tower to collapse. Almost immediately, WRAL cut a deal with WKFT, an independant channel in Fayetteville, NC (now WUVC-TV), that allowed WRAL to return to the air in only three hours. WKFT ran the entire WRAL schedule until the new tower was launched on October 25, 1990. While I could receive the WRAL programs from WKFT, WKFT was a much weaker station, so many areas that were within WRAL's normal coverage area could not get CBS for 10 months while the new tower was being built.

I remember that. I was working in Master Control at a NBC affiliate in south Jersey-WMGM-TV 40, perhaps the smallest NBC affiliate in the network. We had a C band satellite dish as a back-up to our Ku band primary dish. It was a consumer-sized dish and was steerable, so one day as I was running local programming I was surfing the satellites when I came over WRAL's evening news. Not only did they broadcast from that independent station but they put their signal on C band in the clear so anyone in (or out of) the market could pick it up.

DIRECTV employee April 2004-November 2012.
The above comments are my own because I don't know if anyone would care about my opinions anymore.

#130 OFFLINE   trainman

trainman

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,422 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted 02 November 2012 - 11:13 AM

I remember that. I was working in Master Control at a NBC affiliate in south Jersey-WMGM-TV 40, perhaps the smallest NBC affiliate in the network.

"The call letters of the stars"!
trainman is Jim Ellwanger

HR34-700 | Linksys WGA-600N | Samsung 46" LCD | Slimline-5 dish

#131 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 04:56 PM

from Directv Facebook page

Important Update: For our customers who have lost TV service as a result of Hurricane Sandy we will be offering you bill credits. If you were affected in this unfortunate way, please call us at 1-800-531-5000. You all continue to be in our thoughts and we wish you a prompt recovery.

https://www.facebook...ectv?ref=stream

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#132 OFFLINE   LMckin

LMckin

Godfather

• Registered
  • 271 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:02 PM

Tonight HBO will join the networks of NBC Universal in presenting a LIVE FREE one-hour fundraising special featuring performances by Christina Aguilera, Jon Bon Jovi, Bruce Springsteen and Sting

HURRICANE SANDY: COMING TOGETHER will be presented on HBO Ch: 501 tonight at 8:00-9:00 p.m. ET/tape-delayed PT) with FREE access to all DIRECTV customers.

The show will also be available free on HBO Latino Ch: 511 with Spanish closed captions.

All proceeds will be donated to the American Red Cross relief efforts for Hurricane Sandy.

https://www.facebook...ectv?ref=stream

Directv Subscriber From May 2003 to December 9,2013

Charter Cable Subscriber Since December 9,2013
HomePage

#133 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,048 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

JACK,