Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Why are you advertising for Comcast on this site?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:18 PM

Logging in to this website today, I caught a banner ad that said "Ditch satellite for Xfinity." I understand that a website needs to sell advertisements to be profitable... But really??? On a site intended for satellite users??? You should really reconsider this ad choice. If users switched to Comcast, you won't have any members using this site anymore... Without users, you won't generate any ad revenue!

(I always browse in private mode, so I need to log in every day.)
HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:21 PM

I resemble that scenario, and I am still here. Xfinity was a great addition to my household.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

"Ditch satellite for Xfinity"

I did, but I still hang around for goofs... :P ...and I still have my Dish dishes wired in and standing by, just in case.

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,364 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:03 PM

Pretty sure David Bott isn't choosing the ads, nor could he, without great trouble, censor them.

In any event, I'm not at all worried that they'll have a material effect on DIRECTV's subscribers' numbers.....;)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#5 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi...

It is a Google Adsense targeted ad. By that I mean I have not seen the ad as it is not offered in our area.

I could look to block it...but...well...as you have seen, others use it.

But I do thank you for looking out for the site. Very kind of you.

#6 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:16 PM

Now they are insulting the users on the site, calling us "Dish Heads!" (An obvious reference to a term I cannot type on this forum!) Here is a screen grab of the website, just before I type this response. After the "Dish head" remark, it says "Ditch Satellite for the Latest Shows - Anytime, Anywhere. Experience Xfinity."

If I were you, Doug, I'd ask for this ad to be removed. You don't see Coke allowing Pepsi banners on their site... Especially ones that make fun of their users!

Attached Files

HR24 - Samsung UN55D8000, HR22 - Panasonic PT-AE7000U, H24 - Samsung HL-S5668W, MRV, Slimline SWM5

#7 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:20 PM

Now they are insulting the users on the site, calling us "Dish Heads!" (An obvious reference to a term I cannot type on this forum!) Here is a screen grab of the website, just before I type this response. After the "Dish head" remark, it says "Ditch Satellite for the Latest Shows - Anytime, Anywhere. Experience Xfinity."

If I were you, Doug, I'd ask for this ad to be removed. You don't see Coke allowing Pepsi banners on their site... Especially ones that make fun of their users!

Coke is in the position to sell there ad space to a company of there choosing.
Adsense is different in that (in most cases) the ads are tarted at the specific user viewing the page based on many things, such as location and search habits ;)

Its highly unlikely that anything can/will be done about this to be honest.

#8 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:26 PM

Here's the second frame of the banner. I'd be surprised if Google didn't have a policy to stop direct competitors from advertising on your site. Maybe I am wrong, but I'd at least look into it.

Attached Files

#9 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Here's the second frame of the banner. I'd be surprised if Google didn't have a policy to stop direct competitors from advertising on your site. Maybe I am wrong, but I'd at least look into it.

The way adsense usually works is you pick the type of ads you want on your site, usually the most relevant (in this case Television and Retailers) and thats it, then it just spams the page with an ad thats relevant to the packet and to your region.

In your case your getting xfinity, in my case since it doesnt exist here (:( ) I get things like TWC, DTV and Dish.
Its just luck of the draw.

#10 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,130 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:30 PM

Insulting? :lol:

If I were you and cared so much about the site, then I'd become a club member and you won't see the ad.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#11 OFFLINE   jasonblair

jasonblair

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 548 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

I just checked... Adsense does have a form you can fill out to stop competitor advertising... Check this out:

http://support.googl...wer=180609&rd=1

#12 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

Users here use Xfinity, whats the big deal?

Who really cares about an ad that keeps this site up and running, the CPM on a competitor ad probably pay a little bit better anyway x)

#13 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,181 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes.. I know I can block the ads but as mentioned it is not likely something I would. As shown others use other services. If I had the option to use other services other than Time Warner for example... I would. I have Dish and Time Warner for Internet. I would ditch Time Warner if I could.

David Bott

Admin - Owner

Founder - AVSForum.comTiVoCommunity.com, Home Theater Cruise, LLC, DBNet Consulting, LLC, 

Board of Advisers - Prelaunch.com

Connecting to Over 5 Million Unique Enthusiasts a Month

DISCLAIMER: All spelling and grammatical errors done on purpose for the proofreadingly challenged.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...